• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Team India - Great talent but poor planning?

Attitude

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I know the clever in hindsight counter to this thread is ever available. However, I do have to ask what business some of the players have of being in the World Cup squad.

Jadhav, Vijay Shankar, KL Rahul to name a few.

India's flaws were very well hidden by the excellent top order but the top order was to come undone someday.

How are players like Jadhav and Vijay Shankar keeping the likes of Gill and Samson out of the XI? Who picks these teams?

Do whatever Shashtri and Kohli say, goes?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Rohit hadn't screwed the pooch wrt his test career, ideally India would have had him as captain and not-Shashtri as coach. Nothing can be done right now on that front. It is what it is.

I don't know who is responsible for selection, but I hope whichever nitwit decided not to call in Ambati Rayudu after Shankar's injury feels like a loser for the next year.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Has a team ever underperformed and not had the blame largely placed on team selection rather than the team simply not being good enough?

sunilz

International Regular
Hero-worship is the biggest flaw of our country and society. Unless we get rid of it we are never going to be successful in any team sports. Too much power in Kohli's hand despite being a mediocre captain and refusal to remove Dhoni from ODI team has cost us this WC , CT 17 .

sunilz

International Regular
On a side-note does any Asian country dominate any team sports ? Just want to know hero-worshipping is an Asian culture or unique to India

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hero-worship is the biggest flaw of our country and society. Unless we get rid of it we are never going to be successful in any team sports. Too much power in Kohli's hand despite being a mediocre captain and refusal to remove Dhoni from ODI team has cost us this WC , CT 17 .
I thoroughly agree with you. I'm pretty sure this is a sign of the apocalypse.

India tends to suffer from it worse than in many other places due to its Hindu/caste culture.

Australia has an inverse culture of "tall poppy syndrome" where we distrust and dislike those who are successful or are in positions of authority.

sunilz

International Regular
Basically Australia believes that sacred cows make delicious hamburgers.
Such a shame hamburgers didn't help you in test series earlier this year . Now please don't tell me only Warner and Smith eat hamburgers and rest of your cricketers are pure vegeterian , so you lost test series because your hamburgers eating players were absent.

cnerd123

likes this
The hero worship culture is a double edged sword. The fact it exists around our cricket is one of the reasons why people are willing to sacrifice everything in their lives and work so hard to be a great player. It's why we have so much good talent. People want to be a hero. But it is also why players stick around for way too long, or repeatedly get selected for roles which they're clearly unsuited for (and I meant that off the field as well). It's also what drives most of the politics that hinders cricket development. The same can be said of all the money in the game too.

The hero worship culture is also basically a pention plan for all our cricketers. Ensures that no one who plays for India will go broke or be short of career options once they're done. Media, business, Bollywood, politics, all options are open for a former Indian cricketer

The hero worship culture is probably best suited to individual pursuits, where one person chases excellence on their own. However, it's a terrible fit in a team sport, where the good of the whole has to be prioritized over the individual. Having an Indian coach in the setup just exaggerates this problem.

I don't think this is something that will be addressed anytime soon. Maybe not even in my lifetime. Just something Indian cricket (and all subcontinental cricket really) will have to put up with until society changes.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I have frequently used the word "weak" to describe India this WC. I was right to do so, and I would do it again.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If holding on to legendary players supposedly beyond their sell date is part of hero worship, it's actually helped India a great deal in the past. In 2006 or so, there were calls for Sachin and vvs to be phased out of the team to make way for young spuds. India don't get to number 1 if that happens.

slippy888

International Captain
Keep Rohit and Kholi and maybe pandya in team all the other batsman have to go now india have to build a young squad for 2023