• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Talent Identification

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i was watching sportsworld this morning and Dean Jones commented that Bangladesh at the current time have virtually no talent identification program in place and i was wondering how talent was idenitfied in other cricketing countries.

eg in Australia, NSW in particular talent is usually identified through Club/ Grade cricket and progression through that and zone rep sides etc

Craig

World Traveller
I think Deano needs to get his facts right. Mohammed Ashraful, Alok Kapali, Mushrafe bin Mortaze are all under the age of 20 and Ashraful was the youngest to score a Test 100. So they are promoting their youngsters.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
I was watching the test, and rest assured, they have some talent. Mushrafe in particular is a good player. His bowling was accurate and consistant throughout.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
What Jones was pointing out was the complete lack of domestic structure in Bdesh...

Here, well in Grimsby/NE Lincs at least, the club coaches recommend promising young players to the district managers, who run trials, and they go on from there playing inter-district and inter-county matches.

Langeveldt

Soutie
In England im pretty sure people get put forward for "trials" by their club or school, then they go from there...

Bangladesh are buggered if they cant pick up what little talent there is floating around at the moment...

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
as i said, they DO have talent. mashrafe and ashrafal and good players, and i've heard a lot about alok, even though he didn't quite live up to expectations down here. (a pair ain't that great)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr. Ponting said:
as i said, they DO have talent. mashrafe and ashrafal and good players, and i've heard a lot about alok, even though he didn't quite live up to expectations down here. (a pair ain't that great)
That's quite correct- his series average is just the same as Love.

There are certainly domestic leagues in Bangladesh, but I suspect that it is regional as opposed to pyramidal in structure.

Andre

International Regular
Lets be realsitic here. Bangladesh have only had a domestic competition of 4-day matches since their Test debut. Prior to that, it was all OD.

Natrually, they will not have the infrastructure, and it is stupid to even compare them to Australia in this department.

Take into account how poor the nation is and it's fair enough they don't have anything at this stage. Cut them some crap. There having a go.

Craig

World Traveller
I dont think that is the case Andre. Bangladesh's time is coming and according to Trevor Chappell the game is very popular there and people are playing it every where they can.

Andre

International Regular
Yes, but that is only since they beat Pakistan in 1999. It is now 2003 - natrually, in a country so poor, an easy game to produce will become incredible popular.

Four years on, with a population their size, natrually the game will grow in leaps and bounds popularity wise. That does not mean they have a good structure in place though.

chris.hinton

International Captain
English system is crap they have indoor trials and pick the best 13 from that (Counties) thus missing good players

Craig

World Traveller
Wouldnt the good players names be put forward to the trails? If some missed out, it is nobodies else's fault but their's.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
The English system has to be crap if their counties are working players for 5 days a week (perhaps beating any genuine passion for the game out of them), and resting them when A teams come along :D
Meanwhile an A team goes on to play a game with SA. Now that is a good program to identify talent 8D

BD will do ok. As time goes on, a system will emerge. I dont mean to say it will happen without effort. But there will also be a bottom up component to the effort. This can only happen with time.
Maybe it involves their under 15 team playing in neigbhbouring India.