• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Symonds Shoulder Charge Punishment

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
They showed the video of symonds decking the streaker on ESPN-USA's Sportscenter last night. It was great! I remember watching it live, and I couldn't stop laughing for 10 minutes. I hate symonds, but that was awesome.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Pictures posted in newspaper here in Canada, with something about a ' Gentlemens ' game headline. So, I suppose both participants got their pound of publicity.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Anil, I'm not a fan of Symonds at all, but in this case I have to defend him a bit. True it wasn't his job to bring the guy down, but in my view it was good that he did. You can not tell the intention of a person who is streaking. Yes it's probably a drunk idiot showing off for his friends, but what if he has other motives? What if he's mentally unstable and assaults someone on the field? Isn't it better that Symonds took him down before anything like that transpired? I would just say that if someone runs out on the field, then they deserve what's coming at them. I'm not advocating a full blown beating or a fight mind you, just that a tackle or a take down the way Symonds did it is ok in my books.
yes if he had tried to attack someone on the field(and he was quite clearly not carrying any weapons), they would have had the right to defend themselves...that was not the case here...anyway, i am in no way arguing for the streaker here, i am just arguing against what symonds did, in my opinion, the right thing for him would've been to get out the way and let security deal with it...

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
yes if he had tried to attack someone on the field(and he was quite clearly not carrying any weapons), they would have had the right to defend themselves...that was not the case here...anyway, i am in no way arguing for the streaker here, i am just arguing against what symonds did, in my opinion, the right thing for him would've been to get out the way and let security deal with it...
Well he's not going to send out an invitation before attacking, it'll happen unexpectedly and before you know it someone's hurt.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Man, what a bunch of stiffs you lot are for getting stuck into the streaker. It's the 'Gabba ffs, not Westminster Abbey during the Queen Mother's funeral. I say if you've got the stones to get your kit off and run around nude in front of 30,000 people, fair play to ya.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Well he's not going to send out an invitation before attacking, it'll happen unexpectedly and before you know it someone's hurt.
not really, that's a bit melodramatic there...these are athletes and quite well-conditioned and able to defend themselves..if he had shown any inclination to assault someone, they would already have been well on their guard and would have been able to react...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Man, what a bunch of stiffs you lot are for getting stuck into the streaker. It's the 'Gabba ffs, not Westminster Abbey during the Queen Mother's funeral. I say if you've got the stones to get your kit off and run around nude in front of 30,000 people, fair play to ya.
Fair play to you for being a pratt and a) disrupting the cricket, b) breaking the rules (even if you're not doing THAT much harm running on the field, you're not doing anyone any good whatsoever, and what's the point breaking rules for the sake of breaking rules?) and c) trying to annoy people for no good reason?

Hmm... yeah. :mellow:

Streaking's a stupid thing to do, IMO, even aside from the pure idiocy which is bearing yourself to 30,000.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
never said the streaker wasn't in the wrong, are you saying that symonds could not have avoided that shoulder-charge? the guy was running in his general direction but not specifically towards him and the fact that symonds had to move/step into the guy to give him the charge shows that and also means that symonds was the aggressor in that particular act...i did not say he should be charged with something or whatever, but he initiated the contact, not the streaker and it was patently not his job to bring the guy down...
Of course I'm not saying he couldn't have avoided it. It's possible though that he thought he was close enough to cause a problem and so took him out. I have a feeling the people on here damning Symonds for his actions are generally doing so because they don't like him, it doesn't have a lot to do with the taking out of the streaker. If it was someone you liked it'd probably be a different story.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Of course I'm not saying he couldn't have avoided it. It's possible though that he thought he was close enough to cause a problem and so took him out. I have a feeling the people on here damning Symonds for his actions are generally doing so because they don't like him, it doesn't have a lot to do with the taking out of the streaker. If it was someone you liked it'd probably be a different story.
i do think he is a bit of a prick and i don't particularly like him but then i would have stuck to the same opinion even if it had been an indian player involved...however you may choose to not believe that and i obviously cannot prove it...:)

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
I think Symonds' actions were actually one of the more sensible from the whole bunch of players over the summer. If I had been him, I would have done the same. He was in the middle of a very important innings in the context of the game, plus trying to re find some form and some gangly gibbon in his birthday suit runs at him. Problem was solved with a simple drop of the shoulder and he went straight back to concentrating on the game. Excellent form!

I remember once on of the English players (I think Dominic Cork?) simply standing and watching a female streaker run past and give him an eye full. Result - he was out the very next ball. Maybe if he had been a bit more pro-active, he would have had a longer innings :blink:

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Fair play to you for being a pratt and a) disrupting the cricket, b) breaking the rules (even if you're not doing THAT much harm running on the field, you're not doing anyone any good whatsoever, and what's the point breaking rules for the sake of breaking rules?) and c) trying to annoy people for no good reason?

Hmm... yeah. :mellow:

Streaking's a stupid thing to do, IMO, even aside from the pure idiocy which is bearing yourself to 30,000.
Nah. I'd argue that by giving a lot of people a laugh you are doing some good, but I also don't see what the big deal is with a game of cricket being disrupted for a couple of minutes because some dude wants to run across the pitch in the buff. As long as he/she understands they're breaking the rules and accept the consequences, it's nothing to get too annoyed about really.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, each to their own, obviously, but personally I watch cricket to watch bowlers bowl at batsmen, not to watch some attention-seeking dumbaess running about with no clothes on. I'd be much happier without it.

I guess, by the reaction in this thread, there might be a few others who feel the same way. If lots of people get a laugh out of it, I guess there'll be more people willing to accept life-ban\$400 (or whatever it is) in order to give them said laughs.

Personally, I think anyone who made that exchange is a prize pratt, really. Obviously, if someone wants to be a prize pratt that's their choice. :)

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Dear oh dear, while I'm sure most of us guys are probably thinking that, what a guranteed way to get the "8-) typical" response from the female population.
Nah, that would involve them talking about cricket and not spending all their time in OT debating who the hottest man is. :ph34r:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Streakers are bloody annoying. We had three the other week in our game; was a bucks do at a pub over the road, hence a few interruptions.

EDIT: the other thing is that it is sort of uneasy out there when a streaker is running around. Not just with the nakedness, in fact the one who wasn't naked was more worrying, you didn't know what he could've been concealing. You stand there, don't know what to do and just think - what's he going to do next?

Last edited:

frey

School Boy/Girl Captain
They showed the video of symonds decking the streaker on ESPN-USA's Sportscenter last night. It was great! I remember watching it live, and I couldn't stop laughing for 10 minutes. I hate symonds, but that was awesome.
An interesting comment you make?? You 'hate' symonds. Why?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Or f_o_s. Or Joanna or Sammie might turn-up again from their recent absences (though I know the reasons in the latter's case).

Always would've given decent odds on Nicole though TBH.