• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Symonds Shoulder Charge Punishment

Engle

State Vice-Captain
So, bottom-line (excuse the pun), the message to streakers is, if you're going to do this, make sure you have a placid Tendulkar-type at the crease

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Incidentally, didn't Symonds consider a switch to league once upon a time? Got the build for a second row, anyway.
Just to reply to your query, I'm fairly sure he trained with an NRL side once, don't quote me but I think it was Brisbane. Not so sure he would've considered a switch to league though.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Will he be charged?
i dont see why not cos the streaker wasnt going for symonds in any way and Symonds didnt have to shoulder charge him.
Thats actually assault.
I remember last year afridi got banned for just waving his bat at a spectator when he got provoked but Symonds wasnt even provoked.
He shouldn't, the streaker was one step away from Symonds after heading in his direction (Symonds didn't run across the field to hit him). But stupidity will probably prevail and he'll be charged with something. Saying it's assault is like saying me shooting a guy who breaks into my house with a weapon is murder. Absolutely ridiculous. The guy shouldn't have been on the ground.

Son Of Coco

I dont know if we have watched the same footage and I may be completely wrong but to me it seemed that Symonds did move towards(although not 15 meters) the streaker and tackled him.

Symonds should have done what other 12 players and 2 umpires were doing, which is letting the police do their work.
He moved his weight to one side and decked him, he didn't have to move.

Son Of Coco

Quite. No attempt to use his arms at all. He'd be looking at a ban if he lead with his shoulder like that in either code of rugby.

Incidentally, didn't Symonds consider a switch to league once upon a time? Got the build for a second row, anyway.
Not in league...unless the rules have changed this year. In rugby he would, although they struggle to pull off a regulation tackle. :happy:

Son Of Coco

Just to reply to your query, I'm fairly sure he trained with an NRL side once, don't quote me but I think it was Brisbane. Not so sure he would've considered a switch to league though.
From what I've heard he discussed a change with Wayne Bennett when his cricket career wasn't going the way he wanted. I heard he trained with the Broncos in the off season.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
7 in a row, impressive, and all complete with my face... could it get any better? :happy:

Redbacks

International Captain
A sign of the macho attitude of Roy. Brilliant cricketer but also does some stupid things

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
He shouldn't, the streaker was one step away from Symonds after heading in his direction (Symonds didn't run across the field to hit him). But stupidity will probably prevail and he'll be charged with something. Saying it's assault is like saying me shooting a guy who breaks into my house with a weapon is murder. Absolutely ridiculous. The guy shouldn't have been on the ground.
never said the streaker wasn't in the wrong, are you saying that symonds could not have avoided that shoulder-charge? the guy was running in his general direction but not specifically towards him and the fact that symonds had to move/step into the guy to give him the charge shows that and also means that symonds was the aggressor in that particular act...i did not say he should be charged with something or whatever, but he initiated the contact, not the streaker and it was patently not his job to bring the guy down...

Fusion

Global Moderator
never said the streaker wasn't in the wrong, are you saying that symonds could not have avoided that shoulder-charge? the guy was running in his general direction but not specifically towards him and the fact that symonds had to move/step into the guy to give him the charge shows that and also means that symonds was the aggressor in that particular act...i did not say he should be charged with something or whatever, but he initiated the contact, not the streaker and it was patently not his job to bring the guy down...
Anil, I'm not a fan of Symonds at all, but in this case I have to defend him a bit. True it wasn't his job to bring the guy down, but in my view it was good that he did. You can not tell the intention of a person who is streaking. Yes it's probably a drunk idiot showing off for his friends, but what if he has other motives? What if he's mentally unstable and assaults someone on the field? Isn't it better that Symonds took him down before anything like that transpired? I would just say that if someone runs out on the field, then they deserve what's coming at them. I'm not advocating a full blown beating or a fight mind you, just that a tackle or a take down the way Symonds did it is ok in my books.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dear oh dear, while I'm sure most of us guys are probably thinking that, what a guranteed way to get the "8-) typical" response from the female population.