• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stumped!

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Seriously need to think about what pitch I want to play because I have some decent bowling at TNT but they are very very varied…. Might be worth helping the batsmen out and letting the quality of bowlers do the job anyway!

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
A couple of options: mid-range pitch, or convert all your mediums to quicks and then play a dry one.
Mpungose will become fast. Moore is my planned opening bowler with Lenon (NBS) in combination. Opperman I was planning to take to MF/FM (unsure) for his reverse trait. I am a bit wary about training high movement bowlers to high speed after my experience with Burger at the TMOs.

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
I have 2 standouts in my youth pull this week

1 Batting avg 52.47 left handed neutral - bowling avg 105.58 right handed paceman fielding 0.15
2 Batting 55..46 right handed negative - bowling avg 11.74 right handed seamer fielding 0.15

I know it seems a no brainer - choose 2 but.... what if that is a greedy trap? so it is more likely if a youth get shows as good at two things 'they' will have spread the actual skills and they will be mediocre at both. whilst if all the skill is focused on one thing there is more chance it is as good as the average might have us believe?

Or do i just see each result as and isolated event (like tossing a coin) in which case there is a 40% chance 1 is a good bat and 95% chance they are a bad bowler

And 40% chance 2 is a good bat and 40% chance they are a good bowler

So still choose 2 because i have 2 chances instead of 1

(I just made up 40% and 95% as examples, hope i have made my convoluted thoughts at least half understandable!)

What do you think??????????????????

Last edited:

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
T
I have 2 standouts in my youth pull this week

1 Batting avg 52.47 left handed neutral - bowling avg 105.58 right handed paceman fielding 0.15
2 Batting 55..46 right handed negative - bowling avg 11.74 right handed seamer fielding 0.15

I know it seems a no brainer - choose 2 but.... what if that is a greedy trap? so it is more likely if you get shown as good at two things they have sprad the skills and they will be mediocre at both. whilst if all the skill is focused on one thing there is more chance it is good

Or do i just see each result as and isolated event (like tossing a coin) in which case there is a 40% chance 1 is a good bat and 95% chance they are a bad bowler

And 40% chance 2 is a good bat and 40% chance they are a good bowler

So still choose 2 because i have 2 chances instead of 1

What do you think??????????????????
This is an interesting analysis on these two picks.

In the past, I'd go for the guy with immaculate record with bat and ball. This would fail most of the time with players of potentials in the high 20s/low 30s.

I would choose chance 1

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
Ok my sample size of mangers of 2 is 50/50 gonna need another intervention...!!!
b tw this is why i made a suggestion on the board 2 years ago that once you chosen it would be fun to see what the abilities of th eother 4 had been jusst to see if you got it right or wrong (its human nature to know - like any popular quiz programme based on making a chance choice)

SillyCowCorner1

My finisher (1/2), Zulfiqar Hamid sucks.

In 4 innings this season, he's made 8 runs in 11 balls at an average of 2.00

He doesn't belong in T20 cricket.

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
TNT pick today was a 54 avg bat / 69 avg bowler…

Roll a dice it probably presents a better chance to pick the “correct” one…

which name do you prefer?!
Lol I know you are right - I am looking for the appliance of science when this is just an old village fairground coconut shy! One of them is a Bangladeshi so I should do the decent thing - and if he is any good Id rather be dealing with our esteemed Bangladeshi Manager and new assistants than the England camp!

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
ok to put you out of your misery he is POT - 32 BAT (10,10,12) 43 BOWL (18,9,16) medium pacer. Shame he wasn't a couple more on the bowling front' although the mix is quite good with 18 Accuracy . He as 'PoT 16 Stamina and 8 fielding with 6 captaincy at the moment

I think though he is a bit of a duplication for Geese of what we already have - do you think he would sell? (and ofc how much? $1-5k?)

He would be a decent No.9 but not an All Rounder and I guess it is better to be weighted in line and length- he has flight and guile (never know if that is good or bad!) and poker faced which i guess is a decent fit with 16 variation

Would you keep him ? and what would you do with him? Given that Gees play in Div 2 and his characteristics are a good fit perhaps I am being too hard on him - all opinions most welcome!!

Last edited:

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
ok to put you out of your misery he is POT - 32 BAT (10,10,12) 43 BOWL (18,9,16) medium pacer. Shame he wasn't a couple more on the bowling front' although the mix is quite good with 18 Accuracy . He as 'PoT 16 Stamina and 8 fielding with 6 captaincy at the moment

I think though he is a bit of a duplication for Geese of what we already have - do you think he would sell? (and ofc how much? $1-5k?)

He would be a decent No.9 but not an All Rounder and I guess it is better to be weighted in line and length- he has flight and guile (never know if that is good or bad!) and poker faced which i guess is a decent fit with 16 variation

Would you keep him ? and what would you do with him? Given that Gees play in Div 2 and his characteristics are a good fit perhaps I am being too hard on him - all opinions most welcome!!
Just looked at the TM based - i think i may be undervaluing him at 5k based on current sales!

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Just looked at the TM based - i think i may be undervaluing him at 5k based on current sales!
If you talking about McGrath… big difference between 47 and 43 pot. Also decent fielding and stamina. But the reason I payed above market price was firstly the left arm and secondly the 12 captaincy. He will be my dev captain from now on and will receive pace training until he gets to minimum of FM. For me he is a left arm Passmore with greater skills.

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
If you talking about McGrath… big difference between 47 and 43 pot. Also decent fielding and stamina. But the reason I payed above market price was firstly the left arm and secondly the 12 captaincy. He will be my dev captain from now on and will receive pace training until he gets to minimum of FM. For me he is a left arm Passmore with greater skills.
I was thinking of him but didn't mention his name as bidding was live. I am not saying you payment for him was too high just there a number of smiliaraities to my chap in terms of bowling and bowling split which means 5k is possibly too low an estimate as he sold for 525k

The bowling pot difference is 4 and actuals are not directly comparison as mine is a fresh pull and your chap is well on his journey at 19 years and 9 weeks

Both are medium pacers your bowling split is 25/47 10/19,5/8, 10/20 and this youth is 22/43 9/18, 5/9 and 8/16 made me see similarities
Your chap has 10/14 stamina and the youth 10/16
Your fielding is way superior 10/15 compared to 1/8
captaincy is 12 but 6 is not bad at 16
The left arm is useful but there are no related characteristics and the youth has 2
And then batting is 13/18 compared to 15/32 which makes his extra stamina important and necessary as he will be able to make a contribution with the bat

I would rather have your guy all day every day of course but my point was he gives me hope that I might sell the pull for more than 5k! as your sale is a legitimate market rate for the sale of a player i can see some comparative with

Last edited:

SillyCowCorner1

attritional cricket from GGCC so far against Ashgrove astronauts.

The wicket is heavily doctored — 80 wear; 70 moisture.

Peter Sutherland and his troop of gung-ho batters must adapt

Also, bullet arm and quick runner are recipe for.l disaster

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I would rather have your guy all day every day of course but my point was he gives me hope that I might sell the pull for more than 5k! as your sale is a legitimate market rate for the sale of a player i can see some comparative with
I do think I payed over the top for him… if his pace had already been increased then it might of been okay. I think someone less interested kept pushing the price up. But I really was willing to pay above board for the captaincy. It means I can hopefully have him at 14+ by the time he gets to senior cricket.

Your guy is probably gonna go for somewhere between $5-10 K. He might get to 20 K, but think the fielding will hold him back.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Young pops to 43.
Double pop on Sahar to take him to 36(47)
Kamal’s fitness hasn’t moved from 5% in a week or longer. He injured but should be recovering, no?