• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stumped!

ataraxia

International Coach
So, all but AX-W and Ashgrove get through Cup R1 unscathed. After the first week of S31, Peter Sutherland tops the CW batting chart with a whopping 284 runs at an SR of 170. Leading bowler is Flinn Titt of Winton CC, with 11 wickets at 4.00.

cnerd123

likes this
very sorry about CWC5 i had one of my brain meltdown moments again :(
no worries, JOJO has stepped up and handled things quite well!

I think now that things are underway, we keep to the same groups. It's a good suggestion for the next CWC though, we can try to split mains and affiliates into different groups. I'm a bit concerned that could lead to one group being stronger than the other (some manager's affiliates are significantly weaker) but it should be possible to arrange the teams in a way that makes both groups of relatively equal strength.

My main concern for CWC5 is that we will need to manually maintain a points table - I don't want the final standings to be decided by how badly you smash the bot. I've done this for CWC1 before but it was a much smaller comp, I'll have a think on how I can put together an excel file that automates this process.

Group A is currently missing @Charlie B 's two teams, @honestbharani 's Hunks and @Magrat Garlick 's Dynamo Morpork (who are fresh off a very impressive R1 Cup win!) Link is here: stumpedgame.com/ViewFriendlyComp.php?CompID=146

Group B is just missing Dynamo Schmaltzberg and @Shri 's Croquette Team. Link is here: stumpedgame.com/ViewFriendlyComp.php?CompID=147

In preparation for CWC5, ZCC and FHK are going to send out a few friendly T20 invites to teams of the opposite group. Get some warmups in without allowing our opponents to get too familiar with us ;)

cnerd123

likes this
Also may I comment how pleased ZCC are to not be drawn in the same group as AXI :ph34r: I think we've lost a dozen T20s to them in a row by now.

ataraxia

International Coach
It's funny to see Raun perpetually fail and Sajith perpetually hit run-a-ball 35s in those games lol

But def looking forward to playing FHK, who are a very fun team but T20s between the two sides haven't been quite up to standard. We played a Devvie against them on Saturday. Despite FHK resting a couple of 21-year-olds, they still managed to win. On a quick, flat pitch we made 231, with a couple of strong cameos by the back-footed Kotze and Butler. Agnes Chow's unusually speedy 83 (63) got FHK home with 2 wickets and an over to spare.

AX-W played the PPs on the same day. It was an aptly close match between the evenly-matched homegrowns, and the penultimate Plymouth Pirate game for Marcuss' Evans and Mustafa. Plymouth captain Lucas Hegg made 63 (77) as they made 193. We were in dire straits replying at 51-5 before our captain, Gordon Schofield, played a scintillating knock of 52* (61) to drag us home 9 wickets down. What a game!

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah I'm happy with it as it is, just responding in case there is a near-unanimous favouring of changes to groups. I'll see how things are similar time tomorrow but if not a strong chorus of support for changes will copy original groups again in another post for clarity and tag those who still need to sign up.
tbh both ataraxia and c nerd already have their two teams split with the original groupings so they are going to favour it remaining that way! Would just have been nice for all of us to have enjoyed that same situation and avoid 'same nation' teams playing each other
[/QUOTE]

no worries, JOJO has stepped up and handled things quite well!

I think now that things are underway, we keep to the same groups. It's a good suggestion for the next CWC though, we can try to split mains and affiliates into different groups. I'm a bit concerned that could lead to one group being stronger than the other (some manager's affiliates are significantly weaker) but it should be possible to arrange the teams in a way that makes both groups of relatively equal strength.

My main concern for CWC5 is that we will need to manually maintain a points table - I don't want the final standings to be decided by how badly you smash the bot. I've done this for CWC1 before but it was a much smaller comp, I'll have a think on how I can put together an excel file that automates this process.

Group A is currently missing @Charlie B 's two teams, @honestbharani 's Hunks and @Magrat Garlick 's Dynamo Morpork (who are fresh off a very impressive R1 Cup win!) Link is here: stumpedgame.com/ViewFriendlyComp.php?CompID=146

Group B is just missing Dynamo Schmaltzberg and @Shri 's Croquette Team. Link is here: stumpedgame.com/ViewFriendlyComp.php?CompID=147

In preparation for CWC5, ZCC and FHK are going to send out a few friendly T20 invites to teams of the opposite group. Get some warmups in without allowing our opponents to get too familiar with us ;)
I think the second list should be the default position. That is the list that allows all 8 teams with 2 teams to play in separate leagues. The first attempt gives 5 teams that benefit and 3 not. There is little difference in the rankings of List A or List B so unless their is a fair or democratic reason for using the first list - the last list should be the default ( unless as said someone can give a fair reason why not. Clearly if you already have your two teams in separate leagues, you might be 'fine' with it !) but List B is that allows everyone equal benefit (and I cannot see any issue for the 5 managers who already have their teams split)

ataraxia

International Coach
I just don't see how either way is really any advantage or disadvantage - and I think we should get entries in for this sooner rather than later

cnerd123

likes this
Yea I think now that most teams have signed up to the correct group and we're about to start soon, it's a bit inconvenient to get everyone to re-do it.

Even had to plead with @Shri on whatsapp to join his group so that fixtures could be generated on time lol.

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
ataxaria - Not for yourself no , as you have two teams in two different leagues- if you saw no advantage or disadvantage why did you go to the trouble of posting to say you wanted the first method when List B was created?

One obvious disadvantage is that this is a competition - we can all 'play with ourselves' 3 times a week or more but ideally you'd rather be playing opposition

I have been very transparent about the advantages of List B - yes they make a better situation for me , but not more than anyone else - they just put me and 2 other managers on equal footing to 5 other managers. As yet I saw no reason given why the unequal List has been defended and processed- other than err it's done now (as if putting up a list for the 3rd time on a forum is going to make much difference for a completition that is then going to last months!)

However not to go against JoJo's efforts I have signed in my two teams - we can always swap two of our teams around Ataraxia if there is no advantage or disadvantage ;)

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Good news - signed a 17/43 pot 16 YO bat for just 5k

Bad news - transfer was confirmed 5 mins before start of today's Dev game which means I can't pick him in the XI

Pretty cheap, has reasonable stamina. But poor fielding and 2 bowling characteristics with just 31 bowling pot so I think that put a few people off. Should do a decent job as Dev filler, replacing 21-year old Muchafara Abel.

And JCC/TBI signing up means we're just waiting on Magz + Shri and HB and we're good to go!

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I’ve got four players on the market atm. Bringing down the age of r he squad and the wage bill. Want to be able to offer some of my high POT developing bowlers more senior cricket and seems stupid to have some relative guns playing one game a fortnight

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
is very unlucky getting out there.
Its amazing how often I`m seeing these words.... also once again BQ showing its irrelevance.

I don't mind losing (did not expect to win todays game) rested two of the young batting starts and also wanted to play the finger spinners that needs IGT... but the manner in which the game played out does irritate again, because it might as well have been a dice role without stat required...

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
With Shri's withdrawal I'll have to redo the groups anyway as there are 17 teams now which would lead to groups of 8 and 9 but each group is set as 10 so there would be 2 bots needlessly in the group of 8.

@StephenZA - you said only add the TNTs if it leads to an even number of teams - it leads to an odd number of teams now. Do you still want to withdraw TNT? I'm happy to run a group of 8 human teams and a group of 10 teams (9 human+1 bot). It will mean 4 extra games in the 2nd group but it is 2 games a week so that'll only be 2 extra weeks in any case.

Are you happy for me to do the draw in a way that ensures affiliates avoid each other - tagging those who have expressed an opinion on topic. Presuming no comment = no opinion but if you do have one please add now.

@Charlie B @cnerd123 @ataraxia

Don't know if over-ambitious but if TNT remains maybe could have the 10 team group start this Saturday and the 8 team group start the following Wednesday. Only @honestbharani wouldn't have an affiliate so aside from the less active Honest Hunks everyone would have 1 franchise play this Saturday and then both on Wednesday if re-drawn to have affiliates avoid each other.

If TNT drops out that still leaves the question of leaving groups as they are as or re-drawing them so need thoughts on this matter either way.

Have tagged below the people who the current draw effects in terms of both affiliates in same group

@Marcuss @SillyCowCorner1