• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stumped!

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Yep the engine still hates me...
I`m not joking about this... Davidson is not scoring consistent runs and finding interesting ways of getting out (and I`m not talking about the occasional bot bash where he scores 100+ but gets dropped 5 times, that is irrelevant!). And similar for Burger, I don't expect him to take 3 + wickets every game, but right now he is consistently going for runs at bad times and not taking wickets. (And again I don't care about the 5 for against the bot).

In the end strong players in my team, that have built some experience and in generally good touch are not performing great, at important times. But the opposition lower skill player with little to no experience, seem to somehow end up smacking my bowlers for all sorts of runs and/or causing critical wickets. And I literally do not know what I`m doing wrong. I`ve tried aggression, I`ve tried holding back I've tried mixing the experience vs lack of experience, I`ve tried putting experience together. I have changed fielding tactics, I`ve changed when my bowlers bowl etc. And there is still the underlying issues and problems and consistent failures by key players against all sorts of opposition, both lower and similarly rated.

I don't care if I lose because I came up against a strong team, or a high quality bower bowled a brilliant spell and took key wickets or got smacked around by a high quality batsmen. I do care when I consistently seem to lose games because of rng that stops feeling random such that I must be doing something wrong or misunderstanding something.

cnerd123

likes this
I`m not joking about this... Davidson is not scoring consistent runs and finding interesting ways of getting out (and I`m not talking about the occasional bot bash where he scores 100+ but gets dropped 5 times, that is irrelevant!). And similar for Burger, I don't expect him to take 3 + wickets every game, but right now he is consistently going for runs at bad times and not taking wickets. (And again I don't care about the 5 for against the bot).

In the end strong players in my team, that have built some experience and in generally good touch are not performing great, at important times. But the opposition lower skill player with little to no experience, seem to somehow end up smacking my bowlers for all sorts of runs and/or causing critical wickets. And I literally do not know what I`m doing wrong. I`ve tried aggression, I`ve tried holding back I've tried mixing the experience vs lack of experience, I`ve tried putting experience together. I have changed fielding tactics, I`ve changed when my bowlers bowl etc. And there is still the underlying issues and problems and consistent failures by key players against all sorts of opposition, both lower and similarly rated.

I don't care if I lose because I came up against a strong team, or a high quality bower bowled a brilliant spell and took key wickets or got smacked around by a high quality batsmen. I do care when I consistently seem to lose games because of rng that stops feeling random such that I must be doing something wrong or misunderstanding something.
wish I could offer advice mate but little I can do/say without having full access to how you set your orders, players skills, and reading the comms.

What I find helpful, and I've said this before, is to look at your team as a system. The system as a whole needs to click, how individual cogs in it perform is usually not worth focusing too much on due to a variety of factors. If you're losing by narrow margins to equally strong teams, then that's really hard to avoid, and sometimes all it takes are very minor adjustments or just more experience in other to see a change in results.

If there is any particular game(s) you'd like some input on drop me a DM and i'll be happy to cast and eye over them. We can even arrange a series of friendlies where I keep my XI static and you can work out some different combos and see if it helps improve results.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
wish I could offer advice mate but little I can do/say without having full access to how you set your orders, players skills, and reading the comms.

What I find helpful, and I've said this before, is to look at your team as a system. The system as a whole needs to click, how individual cogs in it perform is usually not worth focusing too much on due to a variety of factors. If you're losing by narrow margins to equally strong teams, then that's really hard to avoid, and sometimes all it takes are very minor adjustments or just more experience in other to see a change in results.

If there is any particular game(s) you'd like some input on drop me a DM and i'll be happy to cast and eye over them. We can even arrange a series of friendlies where I keep my XI static and you can work out some different combos and see if it helps improve results.
I do think that I`m struggling with overall team balance. Big part of this is not having a decent opening bowler with good early movement to try take wickets, hence why I've bought in a few but it has not really seemed to help at the top. All my top bowlers are good line and length and variation. Need a young development spinner as well... but that is another issue.

I also wonder about my captaincy. My best captain was/is Kock at only 11... I was hoping he would develop in that role quicker, but not really done so. Sucks I can't send him on a captain course!! Otherwise I`ve been using and trying to develop Davidson but he has not improved much either.

How much does batting style effect a batsmen? Does it have a detrimental effect on the batsmen if you play him aggressive 7+ but he is a defensive bat in style?

cnerd123

likes this
I think you need to set aggression setting to counter their nature. So a defensive bat on 7 is equal to a steady bat on 6, or something similar. You also need to factor the stage of inning they'll be coming in. If they're batting lower down, they'll naturally play more attacking shots due to the game situation, so having overly attacking orders on top of that will just lead to them trying to overhit the ball and be unproductive. But if you want a top order bat to be aggressive you need to exaggerate the orders a bit.

I see huge differences in our bowling/fielding between Danial Ahsan (12) and Arif Jalal (18) as captains. Definitely a factor. Experience is massive too. It's why I start my captains young - identify a good 16/17 YO and let them captain as much as possible.

Early wickets are huge, as in real life. New ball bowlers are extremely valuable.

cnerd123

likes this
Game 4 of the ZCC vs FHK SOD series, the first of three to be played at the DDMG.

ZCC won the toss and opted to bowl first on a dog of a pitch. 78/73/89. Chow and Abdullah have gotten FHK off to a pretty solid start vs Yiu and Ghani - 24/0 in 6 overs.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Guys who are erratic are awesome players. They can really produce world class performances…one of those guys is Sadiq Ismail (GG CC)

He was bowling decently since his debut…but in the last few matches his game has been elevated.
A lot to do with his touch jumping to 15.
He took a 6 wicket haul couple of days ago, and in a current match against Mooo his BQ is the best of the match on a wicket that doesn’t suit his type of bowling. Oh wait, it’s dropped down to 7.9 now…but it’s still high for a spinner on this wicket (hardly any wear and wind)

cnerd123

likes this
Comfortable 6 wicket win for ZCC to level the series at 2-2. Sampath and Chung taking advantage of home conditions to nab 8/72 combined figures, Sampath with his 3rd Friendly 50 over 5-fer. Only Tin Yau managed to cross 24, hitting 58 off 80 balls, as FHK were bundled out for just 183. They bowled really well in the defence - a significantly higher average BQ (6.4 vs 5.7) - and dragged the game out into the 44th over, but ultimately just not enough runs on the board. Sajith (43), Raun (42*) and Ahsan (43) doing bulk of the run scoring.

Both teams will probably remain unchanged for the 5th game on Thursday. FHK will just want a better performance with the bat, while ZCC will want more of the same. The team winning the toss has won every game so far - batting first seems to offer quite an advantage at 5DNOL Stadium while bowling first seems to be the way to go at DDMG.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
1655888923768.png

Dynamo Morpork enter today's CWC5 clash on the back of pretty good win streak over ZCC, but two factors weigh in ZCC's favour
1) DM haven't beaten them in a T20 Friendly since July 2021, ZCC have won the 3 T20s since then
2) DM have been sent in to bat first

Nevertheless Morpork have the home pitch advantage tonight. Ghani has sent back Hughes early, plenty of movement on offer for the new ball at Treacle Mine Road

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
View attachment 32140

Dynamo Morpork enter today's CWC5 clash on the back of pretty good win streak over ZCC, but two factors weigh in ZCC's favour
1) DM haven't beaten them in a T20 Friendly since July 2021, ZCC have won the 3 T20s since then
2) DM have been sent in to bat first

Nevertheless Morpork have the home pitch advantage tonight. Ghani has sent back Hughes early, plenty of movement on offer for the new ball at Treacle Mine Road
Both teams above 60k, I think that might be a first for CWC?

Must admit we probably need 160+ against the big batter lineup from ZCC