• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stuart Broad

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Might be totally unfounded but I felt like Bresnan and Sidebottom had to really push their bodies to get that extra yard of pace expected of a test bowler, and maybe weren't ever going to be able to have long international careers.

Not saying it's particularly true of these two, but that is so true of so many bowlers throughout history. There's a reason, that people like Trueman. Maco and Hadlee became great by curbing the excesses of their early days, and why the likes of Tyson, Bond, Jones burnt brightly but not for long.

England were obsessed with that extra pace though at the time, so could be they flogged these two to death.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
According to the BBC reports this morning Broad's body went into shakes and he couldn't speak when he was told he wasn't playing in the First Test against the Windies, and he considered retirement.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The actual quote

"Were there thoughts of retirement going round my head? 100%. Because I was so down,"

"I was expecting to play, which is always a bit of a dangerous thing in sport but I felt I deserved to play.

"When Stokesy [Ben Stokes] told me I wasn't playing, I felt my body go into shakes. I could barely speak."

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
According to the BBC reports this morning Broad's body went into shakes and he couldn't speak when he was told he wasn't playing in the First Test against the Windies, and he considered retirement.
Probably feared he had the 'rona

Johan

U19 12th Man
why? something happen to broad? did he retire?
was wondering if people also think this is the end of the line for him as a test pacer , averaging 33+ for last 2 years , seems the end of the line for him to me , hard to bounce back at his age

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
was wondering if people also think this is the end of the line for him as a test pacer , averaging 33+ for last 2 years , seems the end of the line for him to me , hard to bounce back at his age
I do think it's possibly over, with Potts and Robinson around. Yet it means that those guys need to stay fit. A thing broad and nderson keeps on doing, and that's not damning with faint praise. You can't take wickets if you aren't fit.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I can only but laugh at some of the 2009 comments made when this thread began.

e.g.

Pro
Tall

Cons
Medium pace
Lacks accuracy
Doesnt move the ball