• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Strongest Team After The World Cup?

Rich2001

International Captain
With alot of big names planning to retire and a question mark over a few more.... which team do you feel will come away from South Africa with the strongest team?

Bazza

International 12th Man
It's still got to be Australia hasn't it? I mean they are so much better than everyone else right now it doesn't matter how many players they lose!! :(

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Australia is in the worst position for the future. Only a couple of the regular XI are on the right side of thirty. They just have not been introducing young players bar one or two. Look at India and Pakistan and West Indies, even England have a few young players with exposure who will be there for them in the future. Except for Shane Watson and Brett Lee, Australia just haven't given youth a chance.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
India's batting is aging, and it may not happen immediately, but in 2 or 3 years time they could have a problem if they keep a middle order of ST, SG, RD and VVSL.

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
I think you can get into trouble with such a signature Mr Sasnoz, though its not offensive yet i believe religion shouldn't be brought up into this forum.

Just a thought!

Originally posted by marc71178
India's batting is aging, and it may not happen immediately, but in 2 or 3 years time they could have a problem if they keep a middle order of ST, SG, RD and VVSL.
Dravid/Tendulkar are 29 yrs old, Ganguly is 30 while Laxman is 28 .I think these guys can play for atleast 4-6 more years , especially Sachin,Dravid and Ganguly.

The good thing is that India has excellent replacement in players like Kaif(who should have taken the place of Laxman), Mongia, Yuvraj,Gautam and Badani.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Its true I will blame the Selectors if the Australian team becomes weekend seriously when senior players retire.

They just have not given enough young lads ago.

The talent is there in abundence so it may just be a matter of getting a setteled side again after the oldies retire.

Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
Look at what happened to the West Indies bowling post-Walsh/Ambrose.
But Australia already have impressive young fast bowler comming up, someone like Bracken is highly talented and there are others.I do think that Australia will continue to rule even after the WC!

sasnoz

Banned
Originally posted by warrioryohannan

I think you can get into trouble with such a signature Mr Sasnoz, though its not offensive yet i believe religion shouldn't be brought up into this forum.

Just a thought!
i was talking about the windies guy one about ichy bums:saint:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The good thing is that India has excellent replacement in players like Kaif(who should have taken the place of Laxman), Mongia, Yuvraj,Gautam and Badani.
I know that but if that 4 remain together for the next 2 or 3 years (or 4 or 5), then these new players will all be coming into the side at the same time, which is most definitely not ideal.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Originally posted by vandemataram
Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
Look at what happened to the West Indies bowling post-Walsh/Ambrose.
But Australia already have impressive young fast bowler comming up, someone like Bracken is highly talented and there are others.I do think that Australia will continue to rule even after the WC!
Even though the talent is there, it's not being exposed. Once again I use WI as an example. They have so many talented players but only recently have they been fulfilling potential. This is due to having played a decent amount of international cricket and getting settled. It won't happen immediately after the world cup but in the next 2 or 3 years, Australia will fall.

You have been warned! This is the word of Mxyzptlk!

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
I don't think Australia has much to worry about in the batting department. They'll try to pension them off one by one to lessen the impact. The batting line up doesn't depend on any one player as someone always seems to put their hand up.

The bowlers are more of a worry. The Australian attack is heavily dependent on the form of Warne and McGrath. If both of those guys go at once then the Aussies will be in big trouble.

None of this will happen for at least 3 years so there shouldn't be too much concern yet.

South Africa are the team that will reap some reward for blooding the young players it has over the last 2 years. Look for them to be back to their best in the not so distant future.

sasnoz

Banned
i think aussies will be more screwed if big injuries happen in the world cup, ive had a feeling it coyld happen i can feel it

Choora

State Regular
sasnoz said:
i think aussies will be more screwed if big injuries happen in the world cup, ive had a feeling it coyld happen i can feel it
BUt that can happen with any team, so far Aussies only have Warne 2 worry about, rest is fine!

wahindiawah

Banned
Australia will be without Warne, as a half fit Warne would be a bad bad move.But insterstingly Aussies will still be a team to beat even without Warne, however if they do lose another big player , like say Gilli or Jason then they could be in real trouble!

anzac

International Debutant
nope - they won't be as dominant or dangerous, but only for a short while, even if they did loose Gilly or Dizzy. Bichel would replace Dizzy & he is as good as most of the best of the rest. Lehman would open with Hayden & Campbell would replace Gilly behind the stumps - just look what that line up did to Sri Lanka tonight!!!!!

Australia will still be dominant post the WC because they are not like to be loosing any more players to age possibly until the next WC!!!!! During this time other players will be given further opportunities to state their case for selection into their OD & Test teams.

So what if their current squad are mostly in their early 30's - look at how they are dominating!!!!! Hayden, Langer & Lehman have all had their careers re started post 30!!!!

The big thing in the Aussies favour IMO is not their talent pool, but what they do with it! Their Acadamy & domestic game mean that players are not over exposed at State level & are hungery to do well. The Aussie selectors are even less likely to pick a player on 1 season's form unless forced to re injuries (see how long Lehman had to wait in the wings), and this makes them even hungrier for success when they are given the opportunity. Players like Mayher, Hogg, Hussey, Blewett, Clarke, Katich, Bracken, Slater, Kasprowicz, Bichel, Campbell etc would all start for other teams, yet will still have to wait b4 getting any chance to break into this Aussie side. Just look at the record of the Aus '
A' sides over recent years both Home & Away.

Finally there is the high value placed upon their 'baggy green' - the importance of which is something neither the selectors nor the players take likely.

:)