• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stokes retiring from ODI cricket

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Actually I'm OK with this. It looks like a recent decision and I can see that his home county's fans would expect to see him play tomorrow. His fitness clearly isn't what it was as he's got older, so I'm in favour of anything that potentially extends his test career. As for T20s vs ODIs, there's a difference between bowling 4 overs and bowling 10 overs, so I get that too.

Buttler to take over, presumably.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Actually I'm OK with this. It looks like a recent decision and I can see that his home county's fans would expect to see him play tomorrow. His fitness clearly isn't what it was as he's got older, so I'm in favour of anything that potentially extends his test career. As for T20s vs ODIs, there's a difference between bowling 4 overs and bowling 10 overs, so I get that too.

Thought he already had?

Unless you're suggest Jos bowls Sir Benjamin's share of overs?!

Heboric

International Debutant

I thought Buttler was captain already ?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah this is all good. Suddenly really not sure what the middle order looks like though.

Niall

International Coach
Is Livingstone actually good?

Its a fair question. I don't really care about his domestic runs or his IPL bullying of trundlers , but scanning down his brief international career in both limited overs format its pretty dull stuff bar a century v Pakistan in t20 v Pakistan in a losing cause.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Is Livingstone actually good?
No idea. But I think we'll know a bit more if he bats higher than number 7 for a while.

That being said, I don't see him batting at 4, ditto Buttler or Moeen. Which takes us back to Pothas' original question. Is Brooks a better bet?

Tom Flint

International Regular
This does leave a hole in the line up. Who is the best seam bowling all rounder to replace him. Curran can't bat top 6 surely

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Just need Moeen to go now and that's all 3 of the middle order, left hand over 30s leaving the stage in ODIS in recent weeks. **** moves quick.

Given we don't exactly have any bowling right now it doesn't exactly bode well for the WC.

Tom Flint

International Regular
So if mo and rashid are playing, +3 quickest would that mean we need another seam up all rounder of just go with those 5 and 6 best batsmen?