• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Davies comes out

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Coming out is such a relief... if it helps other gay sports stars then that would be great'

ENGLAND cricket star Steve Davies today reveals he is gay - and declares his pride in becoming the country's first cricketer to come out.

The wicket keeper - a member of England's victorious Ashes squad - is only the country's third top flight professional sportsman to openly admit to being gay. Sun

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
WAG. Can imagine that it'd be a tough environment for someone to come out in so good on him.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Come out of where?

Nah, good on him. Should be the biggest non-issue ever, but it isn't. Hopefully it's not too long until it is.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I did have a slight chuckle about the opening line, "England cricket star Steve Davies".

Good on Davies for making the announcement. It should be a total non-issue, but homosexual sportsmen/sportswomen has yet to become an accepted issue that doesn't gather massive news just yet. A step in the right direction though. I would be interested to know how much press this gathers in England.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Good to see the English team apparently took it fine, you'd think in alot of other teams it would become an issue to some players.

robelinda

Dont see the big issue, with Broad making the step from womens to mens cricket being historical.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Dont see the big issue, with Broad making the step from womens to mens cricket being historical.
:laugh:

Well done to him. Men's sport is one of the few occupations left where homosexuality is basically swept under the carpet, so it is a very brave move from him. He seems to be aware that it is going to be difficult for him, but hopefully he gets a supportive dressing room.

There's a lot I can say about how much of a bunch of ****s England are, but they do seem like a genuinely nice team when Stuart Broad is injured.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Good on him, historical move. As other posters have said, it's a step towards homosexuality being a totally accepted non-issue in male sports.

robelinda

I really doubt many players would sink low enough to sledge him about his lifestyle choices. I mean come on, I would be surprised if it happened at test level.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
If he had the balls to reveal it to the british media, I somehow think he'll be able to handle a few cheap shots from the slip cordon.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
WAG. Can imagine that it'd be a tough environment for someone to come out in so good on him.
:ph34r:

Seriously, hopefully this kind of thing should become totally acceptable and not a big deal if people are open and supportive about it. Well done to Davies for fronting up. In any other walk of life it totally wouldn't matter, so why sports?