• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Starc v. Wagner

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Starc is just so destructive when he's on, but Wagner is so multi-faceted in the roles he brings. He really is a captain's dream.

Here are the stats for non-opening "fast"/"seam" bowlers. Wagner is third on the list behind Kallis and Walsh:

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com
Wowzers, out of those with 100+ wickets, only young Marshall, Walsh, Garner and Botham have better averages - and of those, only Marshall has a better strike rate. Regardless of the Starc v Wagner debate, the guy is just phenomenal at what he's in the team for.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
Wowzers, out of those with 100+ wickets, only young Marshall, Walsh, Garner and Botham have better averages - and of those, only Marshall has a better strike rate. Regardless of the Starc v Wagner debate, the guy is just phenomenal at what he's in the team for.

Are you taking Pat Cummins into consideration here?

As he's been a first change bowler for the majority of his career to date.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

100+ wickets at first change - Cummins I think has about 70 or 80 in that role. But yeah, check back to my first post in this thread if you want my opinion on Cummins v Wagner at 1st change.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Doesn't have 100+ wickets as a first change bowler. This will obviously change, but for now he doesn't qualify under Bahnz's criteria.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can't believe anyone can even debate this in favour of Starc, it's pure watson'ing

Daemon

On current form Starc is probably the 3rd best left arm quick now behind Wags and Shaheen. Still better than Boult though imo.

Flem274*

123/5
boults current form is non-existent, though the other three quicks in his side and lack of application from the windies in particular have shielded him from the brutal exposure starc has sometimes experienced this summer.

Reactions: vcs

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I mean I guess it comes down to what you prefer in a bowler: someone who’s equally as likely to take 5/40 as he is to get 0/100 off 20, or someone who you can rely on to keep it tight, chisel out old ball wickets and consistently finish with 2/50. I was undecided for the longest time but this summer has kinda made up my mind.

flibbertyjibber

Think their last performance sums it up well, Wagner charging in with broken toes giving his all and Starc spraying it and looking perplexed on a day 5 pitch and losing the trust of his captain.

Spark

Global Moderator
I still think Starc is a pretty good Test bowler and, when not completely cooked, a real asset to this side. But, y'know, it says something that he played one out of the five Tests in England -- the series that they clearly decided to plan down to the letter.

flibbertyjibber

I still think Starc is a pretty good Test bowler and, when not completely cooked, a real asset to this side. But, y'know, it says something that he played one out of the five Tests in England -- the series that they clearly decided to plan down to the letter.
How unfit was Pattinson this last month? Was that why Starc played all 4 tests.