• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Starc v. Wagner

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The answer is still Wagner, you'd have to be brainless or live within the same state as Geelong to think otherwise.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Looking at Starc's numbers though, for all his red-ball inconsistency, they're still really really good. 238 wickets, SR of 48, 13 5fers, 2 10fers. He has an excellent chance of finishing as an ATG or just below if he has a few more killer series in India/England/SA.
Also the case with Wagner tbf.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, Wagner's sample size outside home is smaller though. NZ pitches are a bitch to bowl on after a few sessions though, so I'm not necessarily criticizing him. But I'd like to see him bowl more in different conditions.

Gnske

Yeah, Wagner's sample size outside home is smaller though. NZ pitches are a bitch to bowl on after a few sessions though, so I'm not necessarily criticizing him. But I'd like to see him bowl more in different conditions.
A pity the current and previous Black Caps coach seem to disagree with this sentiment I think we all share.

vcs

I mean, we Indian fans on here were having a collective fap when Shami's average recently went below 27.. Starc's been getting heavily criticized and dropped in red ball cricket and still has better numbers. It's like the inverse Ashwin-Lyon situation LOL.

Gnske

To be fair, Starc's roof of potential output is that high that the disappointment we present when his typical bad habits come to the fore is reflective of that.

OverratedSanity

I mean, we Indian fans on here were having a collective fap when Shami's average recently went below 27.. Starc's been getting heavily criticized and dropped in red ball cricket and still has better numbers. It's like the inverse Ashwin-Lyon situation LOL.
I don't think any Indian fan really argues that shami is better tbh. Just has been less disappointing because starc should have way better numbers.

Flem274*

123/5
starc was tom latham-ing to an extent, taking poles when life was easy then clocking in an average 2/70 at 4rpo when he was needed. i think it was the ashes in england before last he was getting absolutely toasted by the aussie fans on here?

he's showing up when it matters now, which is really annoying if you're a fan of his opposition but fun if you're a neutral.

Gnske

starc was tom latham-ing to an extent, taking poles when life was easy then clocking in an average 2/70 at 4rpo when he was needed. i think it was the ashes in england before last he was getting absolutely toasted by the aussie fans on here?

he's showing up when it matters now, which is really annoying if you're a fan of his opposition but fun if you're a neutral.
Yeah Starc and Hazlewood were extremely disappointing in that series. Hazlewood bowling too short a length, Starc unable to maintain a line (or at least a good one) and giving away a boundary every over. The longing for just five more tests of Ryan Harris was real.

In all things, I think in comparison to our last left armer called Mitch and his career, our current one is doing fine.

Last edited:

Burgey

Bowling unit last summer was defending totals topping out at 200 odd tbf. The top six last summer was as weak as Australia has put out since 84 to 86 imo.

Bowlers had to go looking to invent poles instead of drying up and waiting for them. Make a huge difference to their MO

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Yeah he was terrible vs India. Wasted the new ball so many times, bowled a bunch of expensive "byes" that should've been wides and hence didn't show up in his stats and took a bunch of low impact tailend wickets. Was the worst aussie bowler in the series, and imo if he'd bowled better, India would've found it very tough to win that series even with Warner and Smith gone.

vcs

He bowled very well in Perth and had a catch or two dropped in Melbourne IIRC.

Spark

Global Moderator

Yeah he and Hazlewood were well below par in 2015 in England. Mind you, there isn't a lot you can do defending scores on the order of, well, 60.

Uppercut

Really enjoy waching batsmen getting frustrated with Wagner’s bowling tbh. Serious forum troll energy.
Haha yeah I love it. It's like when you find a really lame exploit in a video game, then just keep using it over and over again while your opponents get angrier and angrier.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah Starc and Hazlewood were extremely disappointing in that series. Hazlewood bowling too short a length, Starc unable to maintain a line (or at least a good one) and giving away a boundary every over. The longing for just five more tests of Ryan Harris was real.

In all things, I think in comparison to our last left armer called Mitch and his career, our current one is doing fine.
Yeah he and Hazlewood were well below par in 2015 in England. Mind you, there isn't a lot you can do defending scores on the order of, well, 60.
i remember hazes toasting too. i was only able to see morning sessions because england but the pair didn't bowl great and haze still came out of that series with a solid average iirc which was quite funny