• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stackpole calls it quits as ABC commentator

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
End of an era

Stackpole calls it quits as ABC commentator

Cricinfo staff

March 7, 2005

Keith Stackpole's voice will no longer be heard on ABC radio © Getty Images

Keith Stackpole, the former Australian opener, has given up his commentary position with the ABC. Stackpole, 64, had been part of ABC Radio's coverage for more than two decades, and announced that yesterday's clash between Victoria and Queensland was his last.

Stackpole has also worked for the Seven and Nine television stations, and is expected to continue with his newspaper columns. One of his fellow commentators at the ABC, Dan Lonergan, spoke about Stackpole to The Sydney Morning Herald. "He commentated the way he played the game: on the front-foot and aggressively," he said. "There will be a lot of people out there who will miss him but Keith has obviously decided it's time for someone else to have a go."

Stackpole played his first Test in 1968 as a middle-order batsman who bowled leg breaks, but was pushed up the order by Bill Lawry. Stackpole represented Australia in 43 matches, scoring 2807 runs with seven hundreds at 37.

End of an era

There goes a little character in the ABC box. Hopefully this doesn't mean Roebuck will get more time behind the mic.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Feel sorry for the old fellow !! But he was a crap one eyed commentator !!
So even though I feel sorry for the guy, I would still say Good Riddance !! :D :dry:

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
I wish a few of the Channel 9 ones are now pensioned off. Its been bloody hard listening to Tony Greig get it wrong for almost 30 years.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
There goes a little character in the ABC box. Hopefully this doesn't mean Roebuck will get more time behind the mic.

hopefully we will just get more kerry!

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
mavric41 said:
I wish a few of the Channel 9 ones are now pensioned off. Its been bloody hard listening to Tony Greig get it wrong for almost 30 years.
And that's why we've got the ABC

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
who really cares about STACKPOLE quitting? If it was Kerry I would die ... It wouldn't be bad though if Geoff Lawson also retired ....

Josh

International Regular
Stackie!! Used to live in Ivanhoe, just down the road from my grandma's. Anywhoo... We don't tend to notice these things too much, maybe the first few times but after that it's a formality... Well, unless it's someone like R.Benaud.

twctopcat

International Regular
mavric41 said:
Blasphemy!!! You've go to laugh at his mistakes though, i certainly do.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I laugh at mistakes all the time.
Every commentator makes them all the time.
Doesn't mean they're poor commentators.

Oh, and WR Stackpole - I only ever heard him once or twice, during the 'Gabba Test of 2002\03. He didn't sound great, but then again - not many do beside Jim Maxwell. :cool:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
mavric41 said:
Tony rules! :@