• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sridharan Sriram

krkode

State Captain
It seems like the Indian team selectors are more inclined towards testing players in the ODI game - success there warrants a test place. Otherwise - not.

Few players begin their career right out in the test side, from what I've seen of India. They make 'em play ODI cricket, if they do well, they get to move on.

Craig

World Traveller
That is implying then that one day and Test cricket are the same. They are not. There is a big difference.

nibbs

International Captain
Sriram isn't very good in the one day form of cricket, so I guess he screwed. However in WCC he'll always have a place in my four day line up.

krkode

State Captain
Craig said:
That is implying then that one day and Test cricket are the same. They are not. There is a big difference.
That should be told to the selectors. Besides, It's only what I *think* the reason is. I doubt anybody knows exactly why he hasn't played on the test team yet. But a FC average of 59 surely deserves it...

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Certainly, I'd say considering some of the others we've had play for the Indian team :rolleyes:

He was picked for a few ODIs. He was picked as a batsman alright but he fielded and bowled pretty well. With the bat, he got out twice in a row to the hook shot.
Now one would think that trying the hook to a short ball in an ODI is not case enough to discard him but they did do that.

I have always held that our inability to find openers in the face of the batting talent in the country smacks of mis-man-management more than anything else..
His left handed team mate Sharath was dealt with similarly even while they went on to persist with people like Kanitkar and Devang Gandhi :rolleyes:

I've seen Sriram play. He's a very good batsman. Not easy to say what his performances in the domestic arena will translate to on the international stage but he's certainly proved to be good enough to merit a longish stint with the national team. Anything less is doing two things:
- we may be missing out on a good international player in form.
- he is blocking a youngster from getting into his state team when he should be playing for the country.

masterblaster

International Captain
I pretty much second full_length on everything he's said. Sriram is a good player, but in the limited chances he got at the top level he didnt perform.

Perhaps a replacement for Dinesh Mongia in the ODI squad?
Sriram is a good fielder, and a decent slow left arm bowler too.
Another name hinted to replace Dinesh Mongia is Hemang Badani who is very much like Sriram, only has had more success in the ODI game.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The fact that he's in the India 'A' squad means by definition that he must occupy the thoughts of some selectors somewhere.

Or maybe not.

Craig

World Traveller
Partiv Patel is one youngster that was picked before his ODI debut. I think the jury is still out on him.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Same with Hrishikesh kanitkar....

I remember someone saying big runs in the Ranji Trophy does not mean big runs in the test arena...

Same with the county championship then...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I couldn't understand why Bandani was dropped, he was unlucky but determined and impressive when England toured and since then he really didn't do much wrong. I'd certainly rate him above Kaif and Mongia. Other than his 111* and the matchwinning innings in the Natwest Series, Kaif really has not done much to warrent selection.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Kaif may have the better temperament which stands him in good stead in international matches, but IMO Badani and Sriram both are better batsman then Kaif technically.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
I'd go for Badani too.

I was disappointed he wasnt in the WC squad.

A middle order of Badani, Yuvaraj and Kaif is terrific. Further he's probably as good a fielder and runner between wickets as is Kaif.

Badani ahead of Sriram in my opinion in ODIs. He's class. I was saying above that Sriram was dropped for a very flimsy reason- for attempting hook shots in ODIs, when the whole team happened to be bad and in a negative mindset.

For tests, I have my doubts about Kaif, Yuvaraj and Badani. Sriram to me has the ability and the temparament to play long innings. Badani on the other hand is a stylish strokemaker who'll dominate proceedings once in..

There are actually any number of openers we have that could play regularly. Das is the only one who's been given a fair chance and dropped deservedly.
Jaffer, Ramesh, Sriram and Gambhir are all pretty good options. But we will go with Bangar in the name of depth :D

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Rik said:
he was unlucky but determined and impressive when England toured and since then he really didn't do much wrong
Hemang was blamed for being selfish in that very tour you found him determined :rolleyes:

I was convinced of his class when he:

-Hit a 100 in quick time against Australia (although India lost)
-Won us atleast two ODIs that I saw, pretty much on his own. He was yet another Bevan then :D

- and earlier, when he smashed Mumbai for 150+ runs. that got him into the national side- Sachin was very impressed with him and praised him as being a high quality batsman ready for international cricket. I guess SRT was responsible for his selection.
TN did lose that match due to Sachin's knock though!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
full_length said:
Das is the only one who's been given a fair chance and dropped deservedly.
An average of 35 isn't bad. I was impressed by him although I didn't enjoy him blocking out the last day of the last Test in India with Dasgupta. I cannot see how he was dropped "deservedly" though. He scored 250 when India toured England when Jaffer was dissapointing and what do they do? Yup, instead of picking Das they have Sehwag opening (which isn't anywhere near his best position) and bring in Bangar for Jaffer despite a string of low scores against the Counties. Das scored 349 runs in 3 games at 69.80 with a strike rate of 56. Bangar scored a total of 291 runs in 7 games (including 2 Tests) at 29.10 with a strike rate of 33.83.

Deservedly dropped? You what?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
full_length said:
Hemang was blamed for being selfish in that very tour you found him determined :rolleyes:
Errrmm, yes, because more than once he was left to win games with the tail and narrowly failed to. He was trying his best but the odds were hugely against him, it wasn't really his fault, his team mates threw their wickets away and left him with too much to do.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Das

He never really established his place in the Indian team. Finally they gave him five test matches against the Windies- not often do you see new Indian batsmen get so many chances to prove themselves. He didn't score anything.
Scoring a 250 against a county side doesn't offset that.

Everybody is impressed with Das because his shots look good. He appears solid and he plays with good technique. However, what they seem to miss is that he simply doesnt get the runs. The reason for that is that he cant put away the bad balls. He knocks them back or gets a single of them. I have actually seen his shots stop before reaching the boundary. I didnt mean defensive ones! He plays a stroke to a full pitched delivery and it actually stops without needing a fielder to get to it :D
Thats why he is always stuck in the 30s. Commentators are so sympathetic towards him about that and assure us that that was his 'only mistake'. What they miss is that he should have scored 60 or 70 in that time! I think everybody is thinking Sunny or Boycott when they see good looking technique and slow batting. But they miss the fact that Sunny and Boycott backed it up by staying on at the wicket and scoring tons. They did that by putting away the bad deliveries.

He got many chances, more thanmost people. He just stayed on the team on the back of the way 'he looked' and on a ton against Zimbabwe at home.

Consider Ramesh though- this guy scores against the Pakistani attack (top one too), has an excellent temparament, and had abetter start to his test career than most other openers.
He was never given the extended run Das was.

Sehwag is not a bad choice as an opener. He's got decent technique and is a good attacking batsman. I think he has the potential to be as good as or exceed Slater.