• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Speed Guns

Xuhaib

International Coach
On a lazy Sunday a thought just crossed my mind.

Shoaib and Lee were consistently threatening 100 mph and ever crossed on few occasions .for the past decade or so we rarely see anyone going above 95 mph with top pace demons rarely going past 90-93 mph in their fastest spells .

So I am wondering a) has the accuracy of speed guns improved over the years b) are they measuring the speeds with the different mode of measurement c) shoaib & Lee were one off speed freaks and its just random coincidence that we happened to see two together in the same era.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well they weren't consistently threatening 100 mph. Lee especially was more like occasionally, Tait was quicker though he didn't have the endurance. I've seen some people reckon the readings in '03 WC were generous. They did peak fairly close together though.

Calibration varies, there was one bit of cricinfo bbb commentary that was quoting two different speeds in one Shoaib spell once, about 4-5 km/h apart. Don't remember which match though.

Kirkut

International Regular
Fast bowlers these days do not go out and bowl as fast as possible to avoid injuries. They prefer bowling long spells with intense pace instead of averaging 155 kmph in a 5 over spell, Tait did that against India and soon fatigued to 134 kmph with Dravid hitting him for fours without much difficulty.

Or maybe Shoaib and Lee were genetic freaks. Starc and Johnson are recent examples too who can near the 100 mph mark.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
I think fastest I saw someone bowl in quite sometime was Anrich Nortje in IPl 2020 vs Jos Buttler.. Jos Buttler was smoking everything but Nortje clocked 155kph & got smacked for a boundary.. He dismissed him very next ball which was also 150+ kph. Whole over was highlight of the season. Breathtaking cricket.

Last season Ferguson & Umran Malik clocked over 150kph.. Nortje too.

Haris Rauf in WT20 bowled 152 kph vs India. Bowled a few over 150 in the tourney.

I think Mark Wood is currently fastest bowler on the planet if you go with average speeds in Test cricket.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Starc and Gabriel rarely go below 88 even in tests.
Wood the quickest now then nortje and starc third I'd say. What about shaheen?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bit of everything. Shoaib and Lee were consistently quicker than virtually anyone that has come since. Also speed guns are erratic. Clocked Starc at 100mph in a Test a few years ago and in the BBL every bowler is clocked at 10-15kph more than they really are some games

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Bit of everything. Shoaib and Lee were consistently quicker than virtually anyone that has come since. Also speed guns are erratic. Clocked Starc at 100mph in a Test a few years ago and in the BBL every bowler is clocked at 10-15kph more than they really are some games
I have noticed this. Military medium trundlers (sorry @trundler ) clocked at allegedly 140+.

Flem274*

123/5
T20 is always going to encourage consistent pace too, especially if the scheduling is kind.

Which also explains the 2000s heat tbh. There were two formats, and the rotation policies to develop depth began kicking in. The 00s truly were the Guy Era @Shady Slim

Kirkut

International Regular
T20 is always going to encourage consistent pace too, especially if the scheduling is kind.

Which also explains the 2000s heat tbh. There were two formats, and the rotation policies to develop depth began kicking in. The 00s truly were the Guy Era @Shady Slim
Yes, Lee wasn't 150+ always in tests too. He would be mostly in 86-89 mph range and rarely would average 95 mph in test cricket.

Shoaib was consistently in 93-96 mph in tests, easily faster than Lee but that also inflicted severe injuries on him to the point that doctors today recommend him to avoid jogging/running in order to save his knees.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, Lee wasn't 150+ always in tests too. He would be mostly in 86-89 mph range and rarely would average 95 mph in test cricket.

Shoaib was consistently in 93-96 mph in tests, easily faster than Lee but that also inflicted severe injuries on him to the point that doctors today recommend him to avoid jogging/running in order to save his knees.
Mine say the same about me

well not really but I assume they would

well not really but that's what I tell my wife

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
I can’t imagine that the technology has changed too much over the course of a generation.

So I reckon that it has more to do with the fact that genuinely fast bowlers are actually quite rare if you think about it.

Maybe 20 something bowlers in the last 120 years.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Fast bowlers these days do not go out and bowl as fast as possible to avoid injuries. They prefer bowling long spells with intense pace instead of averaging 155 kmph in a 5 over spell, Tait did that against India and soon fatigued to 134 kmph with Dravid hitting him for fours without much difficulty.

Or maybe Shoaib and Lee were genetic freaks. Starc and Johnson are recent examples too who can near the 100 mph mark.
Wasn't that during Taylor's 290? I recall Starc bowling some SERIOUS heat during that. Was an absolute road but it really made a great 30 minute passage of play with two set batsman (Taylor and Williamson, and later after Kane got out McCullum) vs a new ball and a Starc that was on absolute fire.

I'm pretty sure Taylor got dropped during it.

Shady Slim

International Coach

86-95 is a way away from 150

Shady Slim

International Coach

im not a JAMODI fan necessarily however the one thing they undeniably give us is extreme guy content to look back on across the years

also: you've got to return to lower case