• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
1-1 was probably a fair result in the end, **** way to conceed the goal though, it's a pity we don't have any other keepers pressing for selection.

After Grella went off we fell apart in the midfield, I guess we didn't have much choice but to call up Wehrmann with Skoko injured and the A-League players unavailable. Kisnorbo was excellent minus the collision with Schwarzer, we really do find comical ways to conceed goals, and Holman has looked the part in his recent appearances, I was hoping he would get a start with no Cahill in the side. Emerton has been pretty bloody good for the national team since he moved to fullback although he still has trouble with decision making at times.

Bresciano was poor for his standards and Thwaite looked way underdone when he came on as a sub. I really think Beauchamp should have replaced Moore, I know we have to try players and Thwaite was impressive prior to the WC but Beauchamp had just started to look comfortable in the second half against Bahrain and he has started getting game time for Nuremburg.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
ash chaulk said:
how did ole kasey wehrman go?
Had an ok game, made some tough tackles, his passing wasn't great and his movement off the ball wasn't anything special. But i think he was asked to say back and help the defense as much as possible. He did ok considering it was his first cap in like five years (i think he played in some Oceania Cup before, when he was Perth Glory) and his not DM. He does look a lot better player then when he was at Perth and Brisbane, but i don't think his future of Australia football. Might get a few more caps, until the younger guys like Ward find their feet.

I think Great Birtannia summed it up pretty well. Overall it was a good hit out. The major concerns are the lack of left sided players, if Ryan Griffith is the future of Australian football were stuffed. Thwaite was under done and made some bad decisions, but i think he would have been more match fit then Beauchamp. But really Miloselvic should be infront of both of them, if his not injuried then Arnie kidding himself, if he thinks those two are better.

Also we really need Brad Jones and Nathan Coe to step up pretty soon and start pushing for a place in the squad. Looks like we are ok at the back with Kisnorbo playing as good as Vidmar and Popovic were before, if not better. Up front Holman looks like good back up and his ability to play wide, will come in handy with our formation.

Overall our midfield look to have some good back up, but we really need Milligan to find his feet as DM, cus behind Grella we got nothing. Wilkshire is alright playing a deeper role, but as out and out DM his not good enough, either is Welman. Bresciano continues to stuggle playing wide left, the only time he really look threatening was when he came through the centre. Either he needs to play more centre or we need to find a new left winger. If the only option is Griffith or Brosque when Kewell out, we got serious problem.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
chaminda_00 said:
Thwaite was under done and made some bad decisions, but i think he would have been more match fit then Beauchamp. But really Miloselvic should be infront of both of them, if his not injuried then Arnie kidding himself, if he thinks those two are better.
Milicevic is a spud. I thought he was a little unlucky not to make the world cup squad given that he was playing champs league at the time with his club but after seeing him a couple of times since I've changed my mind big time and can see why he wasn't selected. He's a big bloke but he has the mobility of Popovich with an ACL injury and lacks the smarts to make up for the lack of pace like a Moore or Vidmar do. I would prefer to persist with both Beauchamp and Thwaite (along with Kisnorbo obviously), the latter is really only a right back and is not suited to be playing in the centre of defence in a back four, in preference to going back to Milicevic and McKain.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Great Birtannia said:
Milicevic is a spud. I thought he was a little unlucky not to make the world cup squad given that he was playing champs league at the time with his club but after seeing him a couple of times since I've changed my mind big time and can see why he wasn't selected. He's a big bloke but he has the mobility of Popovich with an ACL injury and lacks the smarts to make up for the lack of pace like a Moore or Vidmar do. I would prefer to persist with both Beauchamp and Thwaite (along with Kisnorbo obviously), the latter is really only a right back and is not suited to be playing in the centre of defence in a back four, in preference to going back to Milicevic and McKain.
Are you sure those matches you saw weren't when he was coming back from injury.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
It is possible that they were. I know the guy has had two bad knee injuries back when he was playing for the Olyroos, which is a big contributing factor to the lack of pace and mobility, but they were a fair while ago now.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Great Birtannia said:
It is possible that they were. I know the guy has had two bad knee injuries back when he was playing for the Olyroos, which is a big contributing factor to the lack of pace and mobility, but they were a fair while ago now.
The guy is not as fast as the other two, there no doubt about that, but his a better decision maker. Also Beauchamp and Thwaite are still finding their feet in Europe, i think this only Thwaite 2nd or 3rd season and last seasons he had to sit on the bench, cus he wouldn't sign a new contact. Whereas Milicevic has been playing Europe for a quite a few season and is a season pro. McKain on the other hand, i can't see getting infront of either of these three. Played more bad games for Australia then good games.

Also anyone know how Dean Heffernan is going in Germany, looking at the other left sided options, he wouldn't be that far from the national team.

ash chaulk

International Captain
saw the game on replay last night kisnorbo looks good. twaite needs time and wehrman should say goodbye. Carney does he play left? or Dodd? i think dodd plays right?

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Matteh said:
I'm eligible. Waiting for my call-up tbh.
Hey if we are calling people up from Norway you are a chance.

Carney can play on the left, Matt McKay from Queensland was in one of the squads earlier in the year and then there is Elrich to come back too. Maybe Adrian Leijer as a left fullback although I think he plays more central these days. We don't have much to choose from.

Cloete

International Captain
Great Birtannia said:
Hey if we are calling people up from Norway you are a chance.

Carney can play on the left, Matt McKay from Queensland was in one of the squads earlier in the year and then there is Elrich to come back too. Maybe Adrian Leijer as a left fullback although I think he plays more central these days. We don't have much to choose from.
McKay's an absoltue gun. The most underrated player in the A-League. He's been close to the best midfielder this season and by far the Roar's best. He's been an absolute shining light in an otherwise horrificly poor midfield. He just never does anything wrong and does so many good things. He can dribble well enough to beat playres in tight areas, is ridiculously quick, makes great decisions, gets forward and supports the strikers and has a great left peg. He's a much better player than Carney who's more of a crowd pleaser, but McKay gets the business done week in week out and he does it exceptionally well.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Carney wins you in games, McKay keeps you in games through hard work. Both are better options then Ryan Griffiths though.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
How does the New Zealand Knights justify a spot in the A-League?
The fact that All Whites players don't want to play for them say it all for me. Atleast with the Warriors and NZ Breakers, you have a lot of Kiwis interntaionals that want to play for them. If the team was giving the opportunity for young kiwis to play professional football, then they justify their place, but they continue to buy crap overseas players, over young kiwis. But these guys aren't even winning them games, if they don't perform next season, it might be time for re-location, but i think they might have some 5 year contract that says they can't move anywhere.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
chaminda_00 said:
The fact that All Whites players don't want to play for them say it all for me. Atleast with the Warriors and NZ Breakers, you have a lot of Kiwis interntaionals that want to play for them. If the team was giving the opportunity for young kiwis to play professional football, then they justify their place, but they continue to buy crap overseas players, over young kiwis. But these guys aren't even winning them games, if they don't perform next season, it might be time for re-location, but i think they might have some 5 year contract that says they can't move anywhere.
I think they're still in for another season, but i think there's talk for more clubs to be added to the A-League in 2008.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Asian Cup 2007 groups just announced:

Group A - Thailand, Iraq, Oman, Australia
Group B - Vietnam, UAE, Qatar, Japan
Group C - Malaysia, China, Uzbekistan, Iran
Group D - Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Korea Republic

Looks like Australia and Japan got the easy groups, but Iraq or Oman could push us maybe if we play really crappy.