• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I've joined, despite knowing the square root of Sweet Fanny Adams about the A-League. By the law of averages a chicken should get 33.33%, so anything more than that is just a bonus! :p

nibbs

International Captain
can someone explain how newcastle advanced to the semis of the pre season cup? they drew 2 and lost 2, whilst the 2 sides below them, new zealand and queensland, drew 3 and lost 1. i don't get it, i just don't get it. was there some kind of bonus for goal scoring? either way, it seems somewhat stupid

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
nibbs said:
can someone explain how newcastle advanced to the semis of the pre season cup? they drew 2 and lost 2, whilst the 2 sides below them, new zealand and queensland, drew 3 and lost 1. i don't get it, i just don't get it. was there some kind of bonus for goal scoring? either way, it seems somewhat stupid
Yup, extra points for scoring.

Cloete

International Captain
nibbs said:
Yeah it's fairly annoying. Their goal difference was worse than the Knights and the Roar's too. But it was because of the bonus round where the Knights lost 3-2 so they got a bonus point for scoring the 2 goals. Also they're using Goals For to diferentiate teams on the same points. Because heaps of games are played in regional areas they're just trying to get as many goals as possible for the crowds there.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, only the pre-season cup. It's not even on TV :@

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Hey any of you guys going to Aussie to watch the Socceroos play on Wednesday, i am and i can't wait even though we don't have any European players. For those who don't know Muscat was named captain and Thompson vice captain.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
It's on SBS.

Lazaradis has been ruled out with a virus.

I've put $5 on Kuwait @ $15 and $5 on a draw @ $7. It's basically a 3rd strength side that has never played together so I thought those odds were a little outrageous in a two horse race. I'll be happy in disappointment if we do manage to stuff it up.

Nick Ward scored his first goal, in his third game, for QPR the other night. It will be interesting to see how he goes in the championship, starting every game from day 1 is encouraging. They say the A-League is of similiar quality to mid-lower Championship teams.

Cloete

International Captain
Should be good. It's a sellout so that's very promising.

I'm waiting for the Brisbane game :D! FINALLY get international football back in Brisbane. Haven't had it since the Olympics! Although we were graced with Ronaldinho's, Eto'o's, Edu's, Athirson's, Lucio's, Alex's, Wome's, Geremi's, Mboma's and Lauren's presences :)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Bit disappointed how Ernie Merrick has just gone and recruited the Brazilians to save his own behind, instead of sticking to youth like he promised to last year.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
Bit disappointed how Ernie Merrick has just gone and recruited the Brazilians to save his own behind, instead of sticking to youth like he promised to last year.
Well i said season he recruited the worse crop of young players in Australia and i was right. Apart from the likes of Leijer, Sarkies, Lia and Byrnes none of the guys he brought in will probably never be good enough to play in the A-League.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Matteh said:
Generally those that played a fair bit in the NSL then.
Not really i think Brynes played overseas and Leijer, Sarkies and Lia weren't really major fixtures in the NSL due to their ages. In generally a lot of guys that were seen as NSL standard are not really good enough for the A-League, which is a sign of the how much better this comp is.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Byrnes played quite a bit for Parramatta Power i believe. Lia certainly played around 20 games. Tbh i was mostly talking about Byrnes when i made that comment.

Cloete

International Captain
Matteh said:
Byrnes played quite a bit for Parramatta Power i believe. Lia certainly played around 20 games. Tbh i was mostly talking about Byrnes when i made that comment.
Yeah but Byrnes went overseas after Parra. It's no wonder he was playing alot for them when he's, basically, good at football :p

Cloete

International Captain
Matteh said:
CM01-02 gave him a very generous Potential Ability rating of 196/200 :p
haha that doesn't surprise me. He's always an absolute gun. Possibly one of the best defenders on the game, he plays D RLC and he plays well at any level.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cloete said:
haha that doesn't surprise me. He's always an absolute gun. Possibly one of the best defenders on the game, he plays D RLC and he plays well at any level.
I play the updated version so he's been corrected to more realistic levels :p