• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So which English bowler will hit the 400 mark first?

FBU

International Debutant
Will Anderson get to 500 wickets?

Bowlers still going - 200+ wickets

426 - Anderson (33)
417 - Harbhajan (35)
402 - Steyn (32)
315 - Broad (29)
293 - Herath (37)
224 - Morkel (30)
200 - Sharma (27)
200 - Siddle (31)

178 - Ajmal
172 - Lyon
169 - Ashwin
167 - Panesar
165 - Edwards
163 - Gul
150 - Southee
147 - Al-Hasan
136 - Boult
128 - Taylor
126 - Philander
122 - Roach
113 - Ohja
102 - Finn

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I reckon at this point Anderson may go on longer than Broad or both retire around the same time (even though Anderson is 4 years older). Broad's gonna keep on picking up joint injuries and wear and tear with his action and size. Around about two years left for both imo. So possibly Anderson just reaches 500 and Broad 400.

England's first test team in the post Broad/Anderson era? Scary thought trying to pick the bowlers.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Will Anderson get to 500 wickets?

Bowlers still going - 200+ wickets

426 - Anderson (33)
Who are England playing over the next couple of years?
I know about SA away and Pakistan at home in 2016, IIRC? I can see him doing well in those series, but India away will be tough.
WI must be due to tour England, which always helps.
I don't see him going to Aus in 2017, if that's when we're next over there, so maybe he'll have to reach 500 by the end of our home series that year.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
James Anderson Is the first english bowler to take 400 wickets in test cricket.
Tomfam is the first poster on Cricketweb whose first post was about James Anderson being the first English bowler to take 400 test wickets.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Who are England playing over the next couple of years?
I know about SA away and Pakistan at home in 2016, IIRC? I can see him doing well in those series, but India away will be tough.
WI must be due to tour England, which always helps.
I don't see him going to Aus in 2017, if that's when we're next over there, so maybe he'll have to reach 500 by the end of our home series that year.
South Africa (a) - 4 Tests
Sri Lanka (h) - 3 Tests
Pakistan (h) - 4 Tests

Takes us to summer next year. Reckon he could be on 470 odd by then and it's just down to whether he goes another year. He's bowling better than ever just now IMO.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England's first test team in the post Broad/Anderson era? Scary thought trying to pick the bowlers.
We just hope that the Curran's are actually amazing and that Wood is injury free enough to have a good career?

I know it is always much easier to be optimistic about players in their late teens and early twenties than it is those who have reached mid-twenties but we just got hope that some of the really young guys develop as we hope.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Maybe Finn will be good? Had such a great summer and has been a very good ODI bowler when on form, not unlike early Jimmy

Finn now, aged 26: 102 wickets at 28.58
Anderson aged 26: 108 wickets at 35.22

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
We just hope that the Curran's are actually amazing and that Wood is injury free enough to have a good career?

I know it is always much easier to be optimistic about players in their late teens and early twenties than it is those who have reached mid-twenties but we just got hope that some of the really young guys develop as we hope.
Wood is my man but I wonder if his poor fitness will ultimately hamper his longevity and quality.

FBU

International Debutant
South Africa (a) - 4 Tests
Sri Lanka (h) - 3 Tests
Pakistan (h) - 4 Tests

Takes us to summer next year. Reckon he could be on 470 odd by then and it's just down to whether he goes another year. He's bowling better than ever just now IMO.
SA 4
SL 3
PAK 4
Ban 2
India 5
SA 4
WI 3
25 Tests takes his to his 35th birthday x 4 wickets per Test = 526. Can't see him going to Aus for the Ashes. On the other hand bowlers who have gone past 33. Maybe it's not age but overs. I'd say 5000 would be maximum so only 1000 to go (+28 Tests)

86 Tests - 3653.0 overs - 431 wickets - Hadlee 39
61 Tests - 2275.0 overs - 228 wickets - Lindwall 38
132 Tests - 5003.1 overs - 519 wickets - Walsh 38
71 Tests - 2337.4 overs - 233 wickets - Martin 38
51 Tests - 2653.0 overs - 236 wickets - Bedser 37
98 Tests - 3683.5 overs - 405 wickets - Ambrose 36
124 Tests - 4874.4 overs - 563 wickets - McGrath 36
104 Tests - 3771.1 overs - 414 wickets - Akram 35
111 Tests - 3906.2 overs - 355 wickets - Vaas 35
70 Tests - 2676.0 overs - 252 wickets - Statham 35
90 Tests - 2892.5 overs - 325 wickets - Willis 35
51 Tests - 1755.5 overs - 200 wickets - Thomson 35
58 Tests - 2194.5 overs - 259 wickets - Garner 34
70 Tests - 3077.5 overs - 355 wickets - Lillee 34
108 Tests - 4058.5 overs - 421 wickets - Pollock 34
67 Tests - 2529.4 overs - 307 wickets - Trueman 34
62 Tests - 2259.4 overs - 234 wickets - Caddick 34

Don't know how long Broad will go on for but after Anderson and Broad I see Woakes and Finn opening the bowling unless they are injury prone. One swing bowler/one tall, like Gough/Caddick, Hoggard/Harmison.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
holy crap didn't know herath was so close to 300. always assumed he was a fringe player until murali retired, like macgill to warne. was he playing alongside murali that whole time in the shadows?

cnerd123

likes this
Maybe Finn will be good? Had such a great summer and has been a very good ODI bowler when on form, not unlike early Jimmy

Finn now, aged 26: 102 wickets at 28.58
Anderson aged 26: 108 wickets at 35.22
Finn has an absolutely filthy action though. Something about it makes me feel his recent performances are more flash-in-the-pan than turning-a-corner.

pietersenrocks

U19 Vice-Captain
Finn looks like a real good bowler ever since his debut and also had a fantastc strike rate in his first year around 37, when he got the Emerging Player ICC award.

He also had phenomenal success in ODIs, especially while sharing the new ball with Anderson. They totally choked Australia in the home odi series in 2012 which we won 4-0. After that he was our only seam bowler who performed in ODIs in India, but the Finn no ball then plagued his career.

He seems to havefound his rhythm again, and would be gutted to miss out in UAE, where he had a lot of success. I expect him to be our gun bowler in future, if managed well. The other bowler who looks promising is obviously Mark Wood.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't know how long Broad will go on for but after Anderson and Broad I see Woakes and Finn opening the bowling unless they are injury prone. One swing bowler/one tall, like Gough/Caddick, Hoggard/Harmison.
Wood and Finn please.

FBU

International Debutant
Wood and Finn please.
Wood seems to be injury prone. Maybe after his ankle operation he can stay fit. I would like to see how Footitt does. Are these two bowlers able to keep their pace up once they have 5 or 6 Tests on the trot.? Anderson, Broad and Finn were 90mph bowlers at the start of their careers. With Broad and Finn they still have their height, 6'6 and 6'8.

FBU

International Debutant
Broad is not too far away now, 384. Only 31 and could play 3/4 more years. Should get to 500. Might pass Walsh but not McGrath.
Walsh bowled 5003.1 overs. Broad has 1356 to reach that. Generally bowls 450 overs a year so 3 more years, fitness permitting.

Finn is moving down the pecking order, even though he was called up as a reserve v SA due to injured Woakes, Wood and Ball. Don't see any of them getting to 400.