• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

sledging that backfired

Marius

International Debutant
I heard a story about when Viv Richards was playing county cricket. Viv played and missed a couple of times against the opposing bowler, who said to him: 'It's red and it's round.'

Next ball Viv hit him out of the ground and he said to the bowler: 'You know what it looks like, why don't you go and fetch it?'

There are also two stories I've heard with Merv Hughes. Aus was playing Pakistan and Javed Miandad told Hughes he looked like a bus conductor. Couple of balls later Hughes got Miandad out and ran past Miandad saying: 'Tickets please.'

In the Ashes (I think 1993) Hughes was bowling to Robin Smith. Smith played and missed a couple of times and Hughes said to him: 'You can't bat you Pommie c***.'

Next ball Smith hit him for four and as Smith said to Hughes: 'Fine pair we make Merv. I can't bat and you can't bowl.'

Bijed

International Regular
I'm just speculating here, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone told Tino Best to mind the windows just before he smashed 95 against us.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Going back a long time ago now, we were billeted in Melbourne for a school 1st XI trip. We arrived on the morning of, played the game straight away and one of our senior players proceeded to absolutely sledge the living **** out of one of their opposition. Called him ugly, useless, fat, everything under the sun - with real venom. Come 6.30pm when the billets were named, guess where our sledging man was heading...straight to the home of the object of his vitriol. With me also in tow.

So yeah, that backfired in a different sort of way.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Brad Williams made comment on Inzy's weight in a side game. Inzy smashed him for 24 and told him he can still handle his off spin.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
At the start of Justin Langer's arrival to the crease against Pakistan in Hobart in the year 1999, with Australia outplayed for most of the match and chasing a big total to stay in it, it's rumoured that a Pakistan player sledged Langer in Hobart, by telling him that he wouldn't even make their second XI!
JL scored a ton, put on a 200+ run stand with Gilchrist and though he lost his wicket, the match was already won as Australia chased down 369 runs to win that game.
Langer should have been given out caught behind early in that knock, but the umpire gave him not out. Pakistan got robbed.

“Straight up, I smashed it,” Langer confessed to cricket.com.au when asked whether the long-recounted story of the ‘clicky’ bat handle was not, in itself, a little wobbly. “It was a massive nick, and everyone knew it.”