• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

sledging that backfired

ImpatientLime

International Regular
was just watching highlights of flintoff's 95 v south africa at the oval in 2003 where fairly early in his innings ntini proper sledged him and got up in his face only to have flintoff flog him round the park like he was a village trundler.

what other examples of this are there?

inb4 big dev turning south africa into a quivering wreck

Bijed

International Regular
Didn't some team cite Joe Root's sledging of them to be what got them fired up and playing at their best? Possibly v Sri Lanka in 2014?

cpr

International Coach
Please be aware that any further mentions of Eddo Brandes in threads like this may now start to incur royalties. Thanks

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Andy Bichel got stuck into Brian Lara (against team instructions) in an Australia A game vs West Indies in Hobart - later hit six fours in an over from him, on his way to 200.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Can't think of anything off-hand, but I do remember England avoided speaking or sledging Steve Waugh in a test during the 97 Ashes, on the basis they thought it only fired him up. Unfortunately, he scored a century in each innings.

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
At the start of Justin Langer's arrival to the crease against Pakistan in Hobart in the year 1999, with Australia outplayed for most of the match and chasing a big total to stay in it, it's rumoured that a Pakistan player sledged Langer in Hobart, by telling him that he wouldn't even make their second XI!
JL scored a ton, put on a 200+ run stand with Gilchrist and though he lost his wicket, the match was already won as Australia chased down 369 runs to win that game.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Last season I told this guy who big swing no dinged his first ball that his GPA was probably higher than his batting average. Everyone laughed but he ended up with 35* from 20 or so wac.

Zinzan

The Johnson/Anderson one springs to mind, although to be fair on Johnson he was the non-striker & did of course dominate that Ashes series, but in it's isolation, deserves a mention.

Burgey

I think that incident took place in the preceding Ashes series, which England won 3-1. Though tbf Johnson owned the Perth test where it took place.

Burgey

Last season I told this guy who big swing no dinged his first ball that his GPA was probably higher than his batting average. Everyone laughed but he ended up with 35* from 20 or so wac.
Lol. Had a bloke a few years ago we were playing against sledge a number of the young kids in our team (he was in his mid-20s) as we struggled to make 100 or so. My mate, who had dropped down from higher grades with me to take the team and who was a genuinely good and quick bowler in his day bu whose knees were shot suggested I give him the ball and he would bowl off five steps.

He took 7/10 and we won by an innings. Was pretty ****ing funny.

Zinzan

I think that incident took place in the preceding Ashes series, which England won 3-1. Though tbf Johnson owned the Perth test where it took place.
That was 2010/11 & not 2013/14? Are you sure?

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My former missus thought it would be funny to constantly say I was going nowhere in life and moan constantly about the money.

My left hook and my right hook didn't concur with that analysis.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
My former missus thought it would be funny to constantly say I was going nowhere in life and moan constantly about the money.

My left hook and my right hook didn't concur with that analysis.
You've lost it mate......despite my comment in your sig I did get amused by you for a brief period, but your humour has gone totally to the **** house.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You've lost it mate......despite my comment in your sig I did get amused by you for a brief period, but your humour has gone totally to the **** house.
T. the pom who lost it over someone not reading his comment.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah definitely 10/11. Was a classic though.......

I am checking the cricket thug life videos in those suggestions and having a laugh. Dhoni is awesome and is there in half of those moments, especially the blow to Fizzy.

Whom do you guys think lived the greatest thug life in cricket?

Last edited: