• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sir Vivian Richards - master or myth?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TBF he said "elite spinners"
Having said that, Murali was a woeful fielder. Barely park cricket standard. I dunno what type of magic mushroom Migara was watching when he observed this apparently great fielding, but whatever they are i'd like some. they also had the quality of making Vaas express and truly a great bowler apparently.

Consistently the worst of the many oft-repeated tropes on this web site.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
KP?

I was thinking more along the lines of how he took Murali on, don't recall how well he did against Warne. Lara is another one.
KP was done and dusted after those two innings by Murali and Malinga. Murali at his height of prowess was 50-50 with Shewag (Sidhu played during the time Murali didn't have the doosra), but after 2007 circa, Murali had no chance against Shewag. Warne in his entire career never had a chance against Sidhu or Shewag. Those two are at a different level compared to players like KP or Lara (who were very good against spin). However Lara struggled against Saqlain and oddly Venkathapathy Raju (who was no good anywhere outside India). Sidhu and Shewag never had their kryptonite when it comes to spinners.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Having said that, Murali was a woeful fielder. Barely park cricket standard. I dunno what type of magic mushroom Migara was watching when he observed this apparently great fielding, but whatever they are i'd like some. they also had the quality of making Vaas express and truly a great bowler apparently.

Consistently the worst of the many oft-repeated tropes on this web site.
i'd take that there is no arguments left so here comes a rancid bait.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
And yes, Murali was a great fieldsmen. Easily the best among elite spinners.
Such a crock. He was adequate at international level, and that’s about it. Stood at mid on/mid off, which is not where you put “great fieldsmen”

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Such a crock. He was adequate at international level, and that’s about it. Stood at mid on/mid off, which is not where you put “great fieldsmen”
Remember when he used to signal the fielders not to throw the ball back to his end when he was bowling?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also he just seemed pretty uncoordinated. Not someone id consider a good fielder. Id like to see proof

Chrish

International Debutant
KP was done and dusted after those two innings by Murali and Malinga. Murali at his height of prowess was 50-50 with Shewag (Sidhu played during the time Murali didn't have the doosra), but after 2007 circa, Murali had no chance against Shewag. Warne in his entire career never had a chance against Sidhu or Shewag. Those two are at a different level compared to players like KP or Lara (who were very good against spin). However Lara struggled against Saqlain and oddly Venkathapathy Raju (who was no good anywhere outside India). Sidhu and Shewag never had their kryptonite when it comes to spinners.
To be fair Sehwag never faced Saqlain and Saqlain is arguably the only spinner to have success against India. It would have been fascinating contest.

Lara was an amazing player but he only went after the spinners after he got settled in. Sehwag on the other hand never gave a ****. He would start attacking spinners from delivery one regardless of the game situation.

On topic, yes past players in general regardless of the sports do benefit from some sort of fanaticism. It’s same for baseball where fans like to worship past players from 1800s - early 1900s and sort of neglect the current players in GOAT discussions.

I am not saying it does or doesn’t apply here but one should always be careful when overrating/ underrating the past players. Objective statistic is a better measuring parameter than subjective opinions.

pardus

School Boy/Girl Captain
And yes, Murali was a great fieldsmen. Easily the best among elite spinners.
I agree with you regarding Murali's outfield catching. There were multiple ODI tournaments in the late 90s where his name figured in the best catches taken section (like one of them in below video). I was genuinely surprised when I first saw him drop a catch. But I don't know about other aspects of his fielding though.
Issue is we can say the exact same about Virender Shewag, who incidentally averages very similar to Viv, probably a SR 10 - 15% higher. But Shewag is termed as rash, complacent and throwing it away instead of "bored".
It's different. It's not just about being carefree or having a high strike-rate. I don't know if there were many instances of Sehwag single-mindedly targeting opposition's main strike bowlers in Test match cricket & pulling it off successfully. Viv pulled it off successfully multiple times against some of the best bowlers in the game (yes, he didn't do it each & every time, and yes, he failed several times as well - no denying that). The game in Sehwag's era was also significantly more batsmen friendly than it was in Viv's era. And I also think Viv's destructive batting capabilities were displayed in a wider variety of tough batting conditions than Sehwag's - ranging from hammering 109* off 110 balls in the 4th innings on a deteriorated turning pitch in India in 1987, to opening the batting for his team against Thommo & Lillee in 75-76 Test series and hammering 101 (off 130 deliveries), 50 (off 54) and 98 (off 100 deliveries) etc. There were occasions where bowlers of the caliber of Lillee went for nearly 5 RPO in Test match cricket.

In late 90s, when Aravinda De Silva was asked by an Indian reporter to name the best batsman he saw, De Silva instantly replied that Viv was the best batsman he saw. De Silva reasoned - "If you look at the way he [Viv] played, frequently going after opposition's best bowlers, and then look at his figures, they just don't make sense". As I said earlier, Viv's greatness was how bad his stats weren't. Ideally Viv should have retired way earlier (after his last Australian tour in 1988) rather than hanging around till he was well past 39 years of age. His career stats suffered a bit because of that. And like many other cricketers of that era, he didn't play as much Test cricket in his prime years of 22-30 (because of Packer cricket).

As far as impact on fellow cricketers is concerned, there's just no comparison. Even way back in mid-80s when bowlers like Imran, Lillee, Holding etc. talked about Viv, their awe was palpable. These were some great bowlers, fierce and immensely proud competitors. It's not in their nature to wax undue poetic praise on their opposition (especially even while careers were still active for some of them). Not just his era, Viv's batting inspired a whole next generation of players across different cricketing Nations. When someone as great as Brian Lara says "Sir Gary was great, but this man [Viv] is the best I have seen pick up a cricket bat", it's a pretty rich praise.

To this day Lara still rates Viv as the best batsman he has seen. Shane Warne, Inzi, Javed Miandad, Ian Botham, Barry Richards, Mohammed Azharuddin, Aravinda De Silva etc. [the list is pretty big] share a similar opinion.

Do we have to blindly take the opinions of these great cricketers as the Gospel truth? Nah. Not necessary. Question begs though - why do so many great cricketers of 70s, 80s & 90s (from different countries) go out of their way to single out Viv as the best they have seen. I certainly don't think it is just blind romanticism of a certain era. IMO if one hasn't seen Viv bat live at his peak, it's pretty much impossible to understand.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
When someone as great as Brian Lara says "Sir Gary was great, but this man [Viv] is the best I have seen pick up a cricket bat", it's a pretty rich praise.

To this day Lara still rates Viv as the best batsman he has seen. Shane Warne, Inzi, Javed Miandad, Ian Botham, Barry Richards, Mohammed Azharuddin, Aravinda De Silva etc. [the list is pretty big] share a similar opinion.

Do we have to blindly take the opinions of these great cricketers as the Gospel truth? Nah. Not necessary. Question begs though - why do so many great cricketers of 70s, 80s & 90s (from different countries) go out of their way to single out Viv as the best they have seen. I certainly don't think it is just blind romanticism of a certain era. IMO if one hasn't seen Viv bat live at his peak, it's pretty much impossible to understand.
Lara would've never seen Sobers bat, or if he had, it would have been at the extreme twilight of his career. Have you heard Warne's opinions on who should play for India? I don't trust his word at all.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Sehwag IS the best player of spin I have seen by a long shot. Which other batsman would try to hit every other ball for a boundary against spin and still look in complete control?
"I don't consider off spinners bowlers" LMAO

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
He was a better than average fielder definitely. And SL was no average fielding side in the 90s (or even now I think).

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Viru has top notch knocks against each of Warne, Murali, MacGill and Saqlain. Not sure if there is anyone else truly special in the spin department from the era. Mushtaq Ahmed was before Viru's time.Certainly has a claim to be considered one of the best ever against spin.

Siddhu's name appearing in these discussions regularly is kinda random.