• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Simon Jones

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Today I read that Jones clocked around 90 mph, thats 144 km's. Thats not really too quick when your comparing to the likes of Ahktar, Lee, Bond & Ntini but I guess we should give him the benefit of the doubt as it is only his first test.

And Jones said: "You can expect more from me. I know I have been compared to Brett Lee and I know I have it in me to bowl as quick as those kind of guys.

He's going to have to up his pace though about 14 or 15 k's.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
this kid has the goods . Hope the dumb english press dont hype his NEXT SOME ONE and destroy him..

He has to tighten up a lot and this is early days..but he can become a good bowler..

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Its interesting because I have been watching Simon Jones during games for Glamorgan on Cricinfo and his stats are less than average, but these types of players do have a tendency to step up and now maybe England have found the next pace machine.

What is his top speed for the test so far?

nehrafan

Banned
Maybe he will give Aussies a scare in the Ashes, would be interesting to see how he performs in Ashes series!

Rich2001

International Captain
What is his top speed for the test so far?
The highest speed that I saw so far was bowled at 91.8mph

And Richie.B said during todays play that if Jones makes a alteration to his action, he would bowl alot more balls in the right area and he will be bowling at 95+ mph by the end of the year

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, Rich, I heard that too (a bit), but I wasn't paying that much attention.

Is it something to do with the leap before the delivery stride, which seems to cost him a bit of momentum? Or is he trying to develop a fast bowler's 'statue ball', a la Robert Croft?

Rich2001

International Captain
Yes, Rich, I heard that too (a bit), but I wasn't paying that much attention.

Is it something to do with the leap before the delivery stride, which seems to cost him a bit of momentum? Or is he trying to develop a fast bowler's 'statue ball', a la Robert Croft?
No the bit that I heard was that as Jones delivers the ball he looks away (so he doesn't know where he is bowling) and meaning alot more go down the leg side. And if he could look where he is bowling he would be alot more effective, the speed aspect I am not to sure how he is ment to improve but Richie just said within a year he feels Jones would be bowling 95+ mph, also it's impressive how he generates that much speed from about 12 paces

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, I remember now. His head just seems to collapse on to his shoulder, and he ends up with less neck than Gladstone Small :D

Anon2

U19 Cricketer
Wait until he gets on the bouncy Australian tracks, then we'll see if he's anything to write home about.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It wasn't a bad first test.

I'm interested to see what he does in Oz too. It may well be that the tour will be the making (or breaking) of him.

Killing Time

Cricket Spectator
The English press over hyped him a wee bit. The kid does have good pace but there's nothing to suggest that he's up there with the Lees and Akhtars. Guess he's just a tyro and with age and experience, will bowl quicker . Anyway its sad to see him struggling with his fitness right in his first test.

Still, these are exciting times for world cricket . Almost every country bar India & Zim can boast of a very fast bowler. Aus got Lee , Pak got Akhtar , NZ got Bond , WI got Dillon , SL got Fernando , SA got Ntini & Ngam and now Eng gotJones. If these kids can all make it to the WC, sure will be one heck of a 'fiery' tournament ! :cheesy:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Dillon & Fernando aren't as quick as the others, they;re probably around 140-145 k's, but they're still pretty fast enough to keep the batsmen in their crease.