• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Side of the last decade?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What is the world team for the last 10 years? They must have played a test in the between 1995-2005 but i tried too pick people that had played for a lot of those ten years. I found this a very interesting selection as it is really is the all time side for me and im sure many other people on the forum as it is really the time i have properly been watching cricket. Some of the side is also very obvious but i had real difficulty with the openers as i couldnt really think of a great one unless ive forgotten someone, the last batting place was also a very close run thing as was the bowling. I also had the crisis of trying too fit murilithiran in but i couldnt manage that.

first XI

1.Virenda sehwag
2.Justin Langer
3. Rahul Dravid
4.Brian Lara
5.Sachin Tendulkar
6.Steve Waugh (c)
7.Adam Gilchrist (wkt)
8.Wasim Akram
9.Shane Warne
10. Curtley Ambrose
11.Glen Mcgrath

second Xi

1.Sanath Jayasuriya
2. Mark Taylor (c)
3.Ricky Ponting
4. Jaques Kallis
5.Inzaman Al Haq
6.Andy Flower (wkt)
7.Chris Cairns
8.Shan Pollock
9. Mutiah Murilithiran
10.Allan Donnald
11.Waquar Younis

unlucky admission - Courtney Walsh

King_Ponting

International Regular
Pothas said:
What is the world team for the last 10 years? They must have played a test in the between 1995-2005 but i tried too pick people that had played for a lot of those ten years. I found this a very interesting selection as it is really is the all time side for me and im sure many other people on the forum as it is really the time i have properly been watching cricket. Some of the side is also very obvious but i had real difficulty with the openers as i couldnt really think of a great one unless ive forgotten someone, the last batting place was also a very close run thing as was the bowling. I also had the crisis of trying too fit murilithiran in but i couldnt manage that.

first XI

1.Virenda sehwag
2.Justin Langer
3. Rahul Dravid
4.Brian Lara
5.Sachin Tendulkar
6.Steve Waugh (c)
7.Adam Gilchrist (wkt)
8.Wasim Akram
9.Shane Warne
10. Curtley Ambrose
11.Glen Mcgrath

second Xi

1.Sanath Jayasuriya
2. Mark Taylor (c)
3.Ricky Ponting
4. Jaques Kallis
5.Inzaman Al Haq
6.Andy Flower (wkt)
7.Chris Cairns
8.Shan Pollock
9. Mutiah Murilithiran
10.Allan Donnald
11.Waquar Younis

unlucky admission - Courtney Walsh

Dont know how you could possibly put langer as opener in that team. In the past decade Hayden has clearly out performed him. Ponting also should be in the 1st 11..

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pothas said:
1.Virenda sehwag
2.Justin Langer
3. Rahul Dravid
4.Brian Lara
5.Sachin Tendulkar
6.Steve Waugh (c)
7.Adam Gilchrist (wkt)
8.Wasim Akram
9.Shane Warne
10. Curtley Ambrose
11.Glen Mcgrath
That would be the same team as mine, exactly.

second Xi

Pothas said:
1.Sanath Jayasuriya
2. Mark Taylor (c)
3.Ricky Ponting
4. Jaques Kallis
5.Inzaman Al Haq
6.Andy Flower (wkt)
7.Chris Cairns
8.Shan Pollock
9. Mutiah Murilithiran
10.Allan Donnald
11.Waquar Younis
I also agree with the second team (apart from the spelling!), aside from Chris Cairns and Jayasuria. I'd definately pick Kirsten ahead of Jayasuria. Taylor also would probably go, as he was a very, very good player in the early part of the 90s, but from 95 on he never really did that much, aside from being a wonderful captain. Ahead of Cairns you could go for any number of people.

King_Ponting

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
That would be the same team as mine, exactly.

second Xi

I also agree with the second team (apart from the spelling!), aside from Chris Cairns and Jayasuria. I'd definately pick Kirsten ahead of Jayasuria. Taylor also would probably go, as he was a very, very good player in the early part of the 90s, but from 95 on he never really did that much, aside from being a wonderful captain. Ahead of Cairns you could go for any number of people.
How could you possibly say that langer deserves to be in that team of the last decade. I mean, im no langer hater being a west aussie and all, but hayden has clearly out performed langer in the last decade...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
King_Ponting said:
ponting should replace waugh imo in that 1st 11
Ponting ahead of Waugh? Ponting's a very good batsman, but Steve Waugh is a class and a half above him. Waugh is an all-time great with the bat, stood up as well as anyone against the great bowlers of the 90s and was comfortably in the top three batsmen of the decade with Lara and Tendulkar. Ponting would make a world team today, but none of Tendulkar, Lara, Dravid or Waugh deserve to be left out of the first team, so he would be the first middle order bat picked in the second team.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
King_Ponting said:
How could you possibly say that langer deserves to be in that team of the last decade. I mean, im no langer hater being a west aussie and all, but hayden has clearly out performed langer in the last decade...
Not really. Hayden's a good player, but he basically had one purple patch where he absolutely dominated all opposition, and aside from that has been average. Langer has consistently succeeded against various opposition, and aside from a slight weakness against spin is a wonderful opening batsman, and averages over 50 opening the batting. Hayden might make the second team, opening with Kirsten.

King_Ponting

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
Ponting ahead of Waugh? Ponting's a very good batsman, but Steve Waugh is a class and a half above him. Waugh is an all-time great with the bat, stood up as well as anyone against the great bowlers of the 90s and was comfortably in the top three batsmen of the decade with Lara and Tendulkar. Ponting would make a world team today, but none of Tendulkar, Lara, Dravid or Waugh deserve to be left out of the first team, so he would be the first middle order bat picked in the second team.
Yeh fair enough. In hindsight. I dont disagree with waughs inclusion.... Hard really to say but punter seems to just miss out.

King_Ponting

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
Not really. Hayden's a good player, but he basically had one purple patch where he absolutely dominated all opposition, and aside from that has been average. Langer has consistently succeeded against various opposition, and aside from a slight weakness against spin is a wonderful opening batsman, and averages over 50 opening the batting. Hayden might make the second team, opening with Kirsten.
Not really this is langers record from the start of the decade till the end

http://stats.cricinfo.com/guru?sdb=...edhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewtype

And heres haydens http://stats.cricinfo.com/guru?sdb=...edhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewtype

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
And where's Gillespie!! Somebody squeeze him in damn your eyes!

It's between him and Waqar I guess....
Hmm yeah, Waqar is another guy whos best was really behind him by 1995. In the later part of the 90s he really degenerated into a fairly mediocre bowler after his injuries and so on. Might be a case for picking Gillespie ahead of him in the second team.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
King_Ponting said:
I recognise that Hayden averages more than him over the period, what I'm saying is that Hayden's average is inflated by one period of unbelievable form, while Langer ever since he began opening the batting has been a consistent success, and averages over 50 opening the batting. Note that he did not open the batting in every match between 1995 and today, and before he was promoted to open his test average was around the 30 mark.

Also, both those links are the same. :p

King_Ponting

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
I recognise that Hayden averages more than him over the period, what I'm saying is that Hayden's average is inflated by one period of unbelievable form, while Langer ever since he began opening the batting has been a consistent success, and averages over 50 opening the batting. Note that he did not open the batting in every match between 1995 and today, and before he was promoted to open his test average was around the 30 mark.

Also, both those links are the same. :p
But still haydens purple pach is extended... which imo is better than langers over the last decade... If we were going on current form then fair enough.... but we're not.

Beleg

International Regular
1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Langer
3. Brian Lara
4. Dravid
5. Inzamam/Ponting
6. Kallis/Waugh
7. Gilchrist
8. Warne
9. Muralitharan
10. McGrath
11. Donald

I'd put Wasim, Waqar and Ambrose in the 1985-1995 team, which I'd think would look something like this:

1. Mark Taylor
2. Graham Gooch
3. Javed Miandad
4. Richie Richardson
5. Alan Border
6. Imran Khan [for the lack of anyother all-rounder in the world apart from Kapil Dev and a severely depleted Botham]
7. Alec Stewart
8. Hadlee
9. Wasim Akram
10. Curtley Ambrose
11. Waqar Younis

The most destructive bowler of that era was Waqar followed closely by Ambrose.

Edit: Oops. :wub:

Last edited:

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Beleg said:
I'd put Wasim, Waqar and Ambrose in the 1985-1995 team, which I'd think would look something like this:

1. Mark Taylor
2. Graham Gooch
3. Javed Miandad
4. Richie Richardson
5. Richie Richardson

6. Imran Khan [for the lack of anyother all-rounder in the world apart from Kapil Dev and a severely depleted Botham]
7. Alec Stewart
8. Hadlee
9. Wasim Akram
10. Curtley Ambrose
11. Waqar Younis

The most destructive bowler of that era was Waqar followed closely by Ambrose.
Bit of a Richie Richardson fan then, Beleg.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When picking the side it just became aparant how there was a lack of openers, i mean they are good of course but would you call any of them one of the greats? Sehwag may well go on too become this. Same with a total lack of allrounders although again flintoff may become a great. Also the lack of any english players even in the second teams shows what a poor decade untill recently they have had