• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should the government do anything about petrol prices?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
pasag said:
GST goes to the state governments, so it doesn't make sense that Howard would push to make it higher especially with all the political fallout it would come with.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the GSt goes to the Federal Government to give to the State governments.

Hence the furore over Qld getting more than NSW last year, and Carrs plea...

pasag

RTDAS
NZTailender said:
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the GSt goes to the Federal Government to give to the State governments.

Hence the furore over Qld getting more than NSW last year, and Carrs plea...
Yeah, but they don't keep any of it though.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mister Wright said:
That's what I said. Dah.
No you didn't, you said that only fast food is counted in the GST.

If you go to the supermarket, most food will be inclusive of the GST.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
benchmark00 said:
I think you'll find some food is exempt from the GST but the rest is not.
General Groceries are Exempted, but not fast food or recreational stuff (ie: snacks) are part of the GST as MisterWrights said..

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
pasag said:
Yeah, but they don't keep any of it though.

No, I know that, but they can effectively bribe/extort a state Government into doing what they want or stopping them from doing something, etc.

pasag

RTDAS
NZTailender said:
No, I know that, but they can effectively bribe/extort a state Government into doing what they want or stopping them from doing something, etc.
Yeah thats the plan, ideally they would want to take complete control of all important things and make the state governments inconsequential. Especially now that they are all labour governments.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
pasag said:
Yeah thats the plan, ideally they would want to take complete control of all important things and make the state governments inconsequential. Especially now that they are all labour governments.
That's true in a sense, but you left out one bit. The clear plan of the Howard government regarding the states for some time has been to make them inconsequential, except in matters where it suits the Federal government to wash their hands. Consider the fact that health care, education, transport and most criminal matters are still within state jurisdiction, and the most recent Costello plan with regard to state powers it to cut everything BUT the big three from the states. Coincidentally, the are the issues which voters most often complain about, and the issues which raise some of the biggest scandals and backlashes in Australian politics. The Federal government is directly responsible for the state of these things in terms of funding, but they can quite easily deny responsibility and point to the states.

This is obviously tied to the ploy of giving the GST to the states, because a selling point is that the GST will somehow result in more money for the states and thus better health/education/transport services. Of course, the GST going to the states simply replaced other funding which would have gone there anyway, but that usually isn't mentioned in the pitch...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Costs me about 40 pounds (75 US$) to fill my tiny 1.4L car up, which is absolutely ridiculous, but one of the joys of living in the UK is the oppertunity to part with your money at every oppertunity, so it just comes with the territory.. And it's not as small here as many foreigners think, so people have to do quite a bit of driving..

Petrol companys can make whatever profit they want, after all thats the sole aim of being a business, what is unacceptable is the governments massive taxation of fuel without providing any viable alternative, although public transport here could be worse.. I hope it won't be too long before I can drive an electric/LPG/green car, because the way things are going it could be meltdown here price-wise, especially with the never ending tensions in the middle east

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Electric cars will be no good in a few years... price of electricity is increasing all the time. As soon as there's enough people using LPG they'll slam a big tax on that, it's unavoidable being fleeced by this government unfortunately.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Scaly piscine said:
Electric cars will be no good in a few years... price of electricity is increasing all the time. As soon as there's enough people using LPG they'll slam a big tax on that, it's unavoidable being fleeced by this government unfortunately.
True, the only way to avoid it is to leave altogether :laugh:.. Thinking from an environmental perspective there has to be a viable alternative sooner rather than later, and the fact that crude oil is going to run out in our lifetimes..

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Are all of those Western nations though?
Clearly not, I just said Australia was not fourth in the world. It may well be fourth in the Western world.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Governments in Australia should be diverting most of the tax that they earn from the use of cars (from petrol excise through to stamp duty) and using it to further develop public transport, especially throughout the outer suburbs.

Bus services aren't regular enough (in Melbourne) to provide a real alternative to cars. Not enough train services reach far enough. Trams generally don't get past 10km from the city centre.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Well I was only pointing out what was initially said!
Andy said that he 'Heard on the radio that Australia has the fourth cheapest petrol in the world (or maybe it was Western nations?)' - I was just saying that it's not the fourth cheapest in the world, I didn't pass comment on the other bit.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Adamc said:
Andy said that he 'Heard on the radio that Australia has the fourth cheapest petrol in the world (or maybe it was Western nations?)' - I was just saying that it's not the fourth cheapest in the world, I didn't pass comment on the other bit.
He did say Western world or nations. Or something like that.

Langeveldt

Soutie
The most expensive place for petrol I've come across is Bulgaria.. Granted its only 50p (1US$) a litre, but when you consider the majority of people are on Eastern European wages, it makes the prices in the UK seem easier to tolerate..