• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Steve Bucknor be allowed to umpire?

Dravid

International Captain
I mean seriously, this guy is the worst umpire in the game. I don't remember the last time he made a good decision, or the last time he didn't make a ridiculously stupid decision. Is there a reason why ICC or any of the Cricket boards don't take action against him?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Cricket is a horribly complicated game to adjudicate, even the best umpires make mistakes. However there are mistakes that are forgivable and then there are the sort made by Bucknor today, in fact the LBW against Harmison given by his colleague was just as bad.

Dravid

International Captain
Lillian Thomson said:
Cricket is a horribly complicated game to adjudicate, even the best umpires make mistakes. However there are mistakes that are forgivable and then there are the sort made by Bucknor today, in fact the LBW against Harmison given by his colleague was just as bad.
The best of umpires do make mistakes, but it's the number of mistakes, and how obvious they were that makes Steve Bucknor different from the best of umpires.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Dravid said:
I mean seriously, this guy is the worst umpire in the game. I don't remember the last time he made a good decision, or the last time he didn't make a ridiculously stupid decision. Is there a reason why ICC or any of the Cricket boards don't take action against him?
Strange timing for this thread, mate - I've been a critic of his in the past, but Bucknor has been excellent the last couple of months, over the Champions Trophy and the first two tests of the Ashes in Australia.

Might have made an error today with Strauss's decision, but in general he's been little short of fantastic, IMO. One of the biggest differences between this year's Ashes thread and that of the previous one has been the response to the standard of umpiring, which many have described as excellent - and much of it has been Bucknor.

So I would say definitely yes, if he keeps up this standard.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid said:
Did you look at the Wicket that started the collapse?
Have you seen any of the rest of the series? The umpiring so far in this Ashes series has been, in all seriousness, the best I have seen in any test series in my entire time watching cricket. There has been exactly one genuinely poor decision in the whole series so far (the one you mention here), and about 3 or 4 debatable ones at the absolute most. That's simply phenomenal for two high pressure tests, and Bucknor has been in both games.

He has been a poor umpire in recent years, but he's turned back the clock in a huge way in the last few weeks, and you're the only person I've seen who hasn't been impressed.

Dravid

International Captain
Slow Love™ said:
Strange timing for this thread, mate - I've been a critic of his in the past, but Bucknor has been excellent the last couple of months, over the Champions Trophy and the first two tests of the Ashes in Australia.

Might have made an error today with Strauss's decision, but in general he's been little short of fantastic, IMO. One of the biggest differences between this year's Ashes thread and that of the previous one has been the response to the standard of umpiring, which many have described as excellent - and much of it has been Bucknor.

So I would say definitely yes, if he keeps up this standard.
I don't know what you are talking about him having a good CT. He was horrible as always from what I saw/can remember.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Dravid said:
I don't know what you are talking about him having a good CT. He was horrible as always from what I saw/can remember.
Yeah, but I don't know if I trust your recall, given your carping over Bucknor and his performance this test/series. ;)

I actually thought he was pretty good during the CT. I mentioned when the umpires for the Ashes were announced that I believed Bucknor had really picked his socks up, and I think this series has shown that pretty conclusively.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Bad umpiring decisions are part of the game. The fact is that the international elite panel umpires, almost to a man, are better than any you'd find in the domestic structures. If those games were widely watched, every other thread would be about the umpires.

Nishant

International 12th Man
He's a decent umpire in genearl! U cant just discard him for one bad test match! As SS said, its just part of cricket these days. Not one umpire is perfect!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Er, not one bad match... one bad decision, and a whole host of other excellent ones.

Stupid thread. Again.

Really is interesting when the boots on the other foot and you get a taste of your own medicine.

I was saying the exact same things about Dar & Koertzen last time when they cost Aus The Ashes with a number of poor decisions, not just one.

Bucknor's been exceptional other than that & I've rarely seen such a flawless display of umpiring over two consecutive tests.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
BingLeeElectric said:
Really is interesting when the boots on the other foot and you get a taste of your own medicine.

I stand to be corrected but I don't think Dravid is English.:laugh: I haven't seen any England supporters blaming Bucknor for this defeat. I do think that the decision he made today was an unacceptable mistake at this level, but nothing more or less than that.

JBH001

International Regular
Dravid said:
A tad extreme, mate. The decision against Strauss was a shocker but overall he has umpired pretty well in this series - I did not see his work in CT, so I cannot comment about those matches. Also, as SS has said - it is part odf the game, and should remain that way. Sometimes the rub of the green in terms of umpiring decisions go your way and sometimes they do not, but they usually even out in the course of a career or a series.

In any case, good test sides can take it (bad decisions) and get on with the job - England frankly were not upto it, and are not upto it.
No need to blame Bucknor for Englands failings.

flemster98

Cricket Spectator
What about the decision on kevin pieterson? That was a bit of extremly good umpiring and think that he responds well to the immense pressure that the Australians put him under. Overall I think that the umpires are having a very good series, you are just looking at the bad decisions and not all of the good ones of which there are alot more.

Thats just my two cents