• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

should sledging be banned?

Maison

Cricket Spectator - 1st Warning
well

no it shouldnt be banned... its fun to see. :)

but in some cases it could be seen as 'bad sportsmanship'

anyone remember wat Mcgrath said to Sarwan a few yrs back??????

"...so whats Laras c*** taste like?" (along the lines of that) - mcgrath

"..well your wife should know" - sar

sigh

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Maison said:
well

no it shouldnt be banned... its fun to see. :)

but in some cases it could be seen as 'bad sportsmanship'

anyone remember wat Mcgrath said to Sarwan a few yrs back??????

"...so whats Laras c*** taste like?" (along the lines of that) - mcgrath

"..well your wife should know" - sar

sigh
Er... the most common story is that it went like this

McGrath: What's Lara like in bed?
Sarwan: Why don't you ask your wife?

Maison

andyc said:
Er... the most common story is that it went like this

McGrath: What's Lara like in bed?
Sarwan: Why don't you ask your wife?
i quoted steve waughs autobiography sir...

:ph34r:

he better not be wrong..

adharcric

International Coach
western sports have it in the form of "trash talk". so there's no reason why cricket shouldn't have sledging. it only makes the sport more interesting and exciting.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
adharcric said:
western sports have it in the form of "trash talk". so there's no reason why cricket shouldn't have sledging. it only makes the sport more interesting and exciting.
Western sports aren't necessarily entertaining.

Maison

honestbharani said:
Western sports aren't necessarily entertaining.

by western u dont mean 'cowboys and indians' ?

lol

u mean baseball/nfl etc?

well nfl prolly would, theyre all big idiots... who wear silly outfits and play on weird and very green-coloured-grass.

would there be sledging in golf?

thierry henry

International Coach
Sledging isn't "part of the game", not a natural or necessary one, at least. I'm pretty sure that in past eras cricket really was a more gentlemanly game than it is now, and I'm quite convinced that the level of sledging that currently exists is a modern phenomenon. I don't really see the need tbh.

Maison

thierry henry said:
Sledging isn't "part of the game", not a natural or necessary one, at least. I'm pretty sure that in past eras cricket really was a more gentlemanly game than it is now, and I'm quite convinced that the level of sledging that currently exists is a modern phenomenon. I don't really see the need tbh.

lol,

would u like a spot of tea with that boundry old chap?

thierry henry

International Coach
It is true though. Sledging existed but not to anywhere near the current extent. Infact I dearsay the absense of extended follow throughs and verbal attacks on batsman contributed to the much faster over rates.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
NO. They should put ultra sensitive mikes and replay all that is being said to the public on the ground and on television. Then we should decide whether we still want it :)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Should sledging be banned? Yes.
That's pretty funny coming from someonw with a username of Lillian Thomson.

Ban sledging? GOOD LUCK. Players will always find a way. I just get in my head that scene in the Simpsons where Homer tells Lisa and Bart to stop bickering at the table and they start doing sign language at the table, Lisa saying "You drive me crazy."

I could just imagine Ranjan Madugalle saying "And no pantamomines either!"

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
People talking about the off-field comments and how they don't like it, honestly someone tell me that after what Smith said about Warne and Ponting you didn't feel even a little bit more excited when Smith was out there to bat facing Warne.

I generally almost always look forward (at different levels of course) to an international cricket series and was already looking forward to SA vs. Aus, but there's no doubt in my mind that the verbal jousting between everyone involved in the SA and Aus series added that much more excitement and anticipation before the series began. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Regarding sledging, I'm fine with it. It may not be 'part of cricket' but its a part of competitive cricket. It also is a test of the best batsman, and who can handle the pressure, whose temperament is good enough etc. If a fast bowler begins to get in the face of the batsman, and the batsman blood starts boiling and he tries to smash the ball all around the park every ball and goes out, the bowler has obviously one and its a glaring fault in the batsman's temperament. Whereas you have champions who don't let it bother them, or maybe even are fueled by it and go up a level. I definitely believe many top batsman welcome it.

Plus, from a batsman's perspective as if there isn't anything more satisfying than getting sprayed by the bowler for leaving a few balls in a row or playing and missing, and then next ball you slap him for 4. Something needs to be said after that happens, whether it be club level or international level! :D

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
That's pretty funny coming from someone with a username of Lillian Thomson.
There's nothing wrong with the bowler and batsmen exchanging a bit of banter after a delivery - eg Randall and Lillee in the Centenary Test. But I don't think the constant baiting of the batsmen by the wicketkeeper and close fielders adds anything to the game.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's nothing wrong with the bowler and batsmen exchanging a bit of banter after a delivery - eg Randall and Lillee in the Centenary Test. But I don't think the constant baiting of the batsmen by the wicketkeeper and close fielders adds anything to the game.
How about outright verbal abuse which both Lillee and Thomson were somewhat prone to back in the day? Certainly Viv RIchards has made comment about racial overtones too but refuses to substantiate this (probably out of fear of litigation).

As for whether it adds anything to the game, it's irrelevent; unless stump microphones pick up on it and alert the umpires or sanction offenders for doing so after the game or the day's play, no-one will know what's being said other than said fielders and their target. It will never be stamped out otherwise. Wishing it be so is pointless. The best batsmen (Lara, Sachin, etc.) ignore it, knowing it's a deliberate attempt to unsettle them.

Anyway, appearances can be deceiving; Andre Nel looks like an angry Jean-Claude Van-Damm and looks like he's shouting abuse at batsmen but from what was replayed on TV by the stump mics, what he was saying was pretty innocent. It just *looked* bad.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
How about outright verbal abuse which both Lillee and Thomson were somewhat prone to back in the day? Certainly Viv RIchards has made comment about racial overtones too but refuses to substantiate this (probably out of fear of litigation).
I don't consider the bowler talking briefly to the batsman after a delivery to be sledging. It happens and it's done and dusted in a moment, even if they do it every ball there is still the time it takes for the bowler to return to his mark. What I don't like are the close fielders constant remarks which are done only to put the batsman off. It's gamesmanship bordering on cheating.

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
difficult discussion when there is disagreement about what sledging is.

Its the tactical sledging that I find wrong, especially as where do you draw the line across cultural borders.

As for the newspaper childish trash talk, well I find it hard to believe anyone enjoys that, especially when its so overdone as with australia and south africa. Every remark has lost any point and its pathetic. Is reached name-calling levels for 6-year olds.
If people really need that nonsense to enjoy cricket, well..

But it does seem that in Australia just foul-mouthing something or someone is considered macho and done by "men of strong opinion" but I guess journalists cant get a piece in a australian paper if they dont do it.
Personally I dont know who wants to read say, that "thompson believes the ICC are a waste of space" boring pointless clichees aimed at the easiest target in cricket. A typical "opinion" piece that simply offers the opinion that the ICC are this and that but of course offers no opinion on the issues themselves.

Last edited: