• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Ishant Sharma be shown the door?

smash84

The Tiger King
Show him the door and he'd still probably miss it.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I don't know. Have you seen Ishant with makeup on?
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ishant is one of only three bowlers who can fling it across at over 140k- so hardly someone to throw out. Instead, they need to make the most of him. The funny thing is that he's bowling fastest when he's bowling a defensive line, so the other bowlers need to be worked on. He'll at best take care of economy, and wickets will be just a bonus, but he's a lot more sustainable than, say, Vinay Kumar or Sudeep Tyagi (though I'd still rate Vinay Kumar a lot more).
you mean Ishant is another Sami/Sammy?

Spark

Global Moderator
Any time you read the words "wickets will be just a bonus", alarm bells should be ringing left/right/centre.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sami was a much more skilled bowler than Sharma in general.

In fact if I had to pick one to play a match tomorrow I'd pick Sami.

Yeah I went there.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Ishant Sharma should be shown the door only if someone can enter from the opposite direction.

In a perfect scenario, ZK, PK and Yadav should comprise the first choice pace attack. However this attack is likely to never play together given the injury history of the first two names, and the rawness of the last name.

Given the other pace bowlers tried in the past two years (Sreesanth, Mithun, Vinay Kumar, Munaf Patel, Aaron, Unadkat and RP Singh), I don't think India quite have the luxury to be dropping Sharma. This represents a tough situation for Sharma as he is unlikely to play County Cricket other than a short-term stint, and returning to Indian domestic cricket is unlikely to improve his bowling as has always been handy in home conditions.

This would make a good question in however many months it is before India play Test cricket again, given we know who is available and the outcome of any potential surgery for Sharma.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ishant Sharma should be shown the door only if someone can enter from the opposite direction.

In a perfect scenario, ZK, PK and Yadav should comprise the first choice pace attack. However this attack is likely to never play together given the injury history of the first two names, and the rawness of the last name.

Given the other pace bowlers tried in the past two years (Sreesanth, Mithun, Vinay Kumar, Munaf Patel, Aaron, Unadkat and RP Singh), I don't think India quite have the luxury to be dropping Sharma. This represents a tough situation for Sharma as he is unlikely to play County Cricket other than a short-term stint, and returning to Indian domestic cricket is unlikely to improve his bowling as has always been handy in home conditions.

This would make a good question in however many months it is before India play Test cricket again, given we know who is available and the outcome of any potential surgery for Sharma.
Praveen isn't injured that often; this has been a bit of a freak occurrence.

Furthermore I reckon even recalling Irfan, who I've long maintained was terrible at Test level and has been getting progressively over-rated since his dropping despite doing literally nothing for a lot of that time (wasn't even playing) would be a better bet now that he's come back and done well domestically.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I was under the impression he was quite injury prone. I recall he missed the World Cup earlier last year and broke down during the Twenty20 World Cup in 2010. I could be incorrect.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member

Furthermore I reckon even recalling Irfan, who I've long maintained was terrible at Test level and has been getting progressively over-rated since his dropping despite doing literally nothing for a lot of that time (wasn't even playing) would be a better bet now that he's come back and done well domestically.
Yeah, Irfan deserved a place in Australia ahead of Mithun even. Then Aaron is still developing, while Vinay,Pankaj etc.. should go decently at least at home.

And with us playing only at home or Srilanka till september 2013, 2 spinners should be a regular feature out of 4. So 2 out of PK, ZAK and Yadav can play.

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
Personally don't think Sharma is all that bad a bowler. Just has to go back to the drawing board and look at a few other bowlers who are similar to him and what they've done well over the years. I don't really disagree with the idea of dropping as he may need to rethink stuff and come back stronger. Getting hit around can't be doing his confidence any good. Don't think Vinay should be playing tests at all although I don't think limited over games are out of the question for him.

Mohammed Sami is awesome. Love watching him bowl and always hope he does well.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Personally don't think Sharma is all that bad a bowler. Just has to go back to the drawing board and look at a few other bowlers who are similar to him and what they've done well over the years. I don't really disagree with the idea of dropping as he may need to rethink stuff and come back stronger. Getting hit around can't be doing his confidence any good. Don't think Vinay should be playing tests at all although I don't think limited over games are out of the question for him.

Mohammed Sami is awesome. Love watching him bowl and always hope he does well.
I see an MSAS in the works