• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Ishant Sharma be shown the door?

Teja.

Global Moderator
Cancer, 132 wickets in 76 innings @ 37.19 bowl ave. 1.73 wpm.
Sreesanth, 87 wickets in 50 innings @ 37.59 bowl ave. 1.74 wpm.
Yeah, Sreesanth has not had a great career either.

Thing is if Sreesanth does not take wickets, It's apparent that he's bowling badly. With Sharma, He'll go for days putting in 1-58, 1-59 performances with people impressed by his dedication, discipline etc. Therefore, He never gets selectoral blame despite being so, so bad over prolonged stretches of time.

One other difference is that both have their own good days but at least Sree does it against decent teams like SA and SL while Ishant for the last 2-3 years only does it against the tails of terribad batting line ups.

No excuses though, Both have been terrible for India over the last 2-3 years as those stats illustrate and should not be in the Indian team anywhere in the recent future.

Spark

Global Moderator
I like something about Sharma and I don't think I'm referring to the free runs he gave my favourite players last summer. Felt a bit more sorry for him than the rest of the clowns on his team when they imploded. But at the minute he's a waste of space. Back to the drawing board. Think Brumby is on the money, just for a change.
At the Oval he was by far the best Indian bowler IIRC, the only one who looked like he was actually trying.

I do like his ticker (and you can see that with bat too), but yeah... just not a particularly good bowler.

Shri

Mr. Glass
He shouldn't just be shown the door. Should be dragged out of it into an unmarked grave out back behind the shed.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ideally, he'd have a break away from the pressure but, when the back-up is Vinay Kumar (who I maintain would be a gun offie), V Aaron, etc., well.........

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Disagree with the Sreesanth comparison slightly; IMHO he's where Hilf was at the end of the Ashes. Needs to go away and rethink his MO. Like the big Tasmanian I think if he bowled fuller and attacked the the stumps a little more he'd look a much better bowler.
My post wasn't really about what he has to go and do if he's dropped and whether he'll be back; the comparison was about his performances up until this point and his worth to the selectors.

Like Sreesanth, he's now had an extended run and like Sreesanth, he's had the odd good performance to keep him around the team. Unfortunately, like Sreesanth, he's just been consistently not good enough over the long term and needs to be discarded for now. That was the comparison. Hilfenhaus was an entirely different thing, where he'd been decent to good (albeit over-rated IMO) for a while and then had the worst series of all time which also happened to be the most high-profile, while playing for a team that had pretty decent pace bowling depth behind him.

I actually disgaree with your general point anyway though. I've always thought Sreesanth had more of the tools to succeed than Sharma and I still rate him the better bowler of the two. People keep saying Sharma just needs to pitch the ball up but he went through a little period a while back when he did exactly that - he calls it the "trying to copy Zaheer" period himself - and he got flogged around the park because he doesn't move the ball enough to be dangerous at a full length and it's un-natural for him so he lost pace and and zip too; kinda just floated it. He's just not very good, tbh. The big difference between how he bowled against the West Indies and how he's bowled against England/Australia since has been the quality of batsmen he's bowled to.

Last edited:

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Sharma reminds me of Tim Southee in that if you just watched their run up and delivery stride, and not what actually happened afterwards, you'd think they were pretty good bowlers. They both look good, but neither of them seems to pose any real danger to anyone.

shankar

International Debutant
The big difference between how he bowled against the West Indies and how he's bowled against England/Australia since has been the quality of batsmen he's bowled to.
He only did well in the WI. Against them in India he still averaged about 60! This was in a series where Yadav averaged < 25 I think.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
At the Oval he was by far the best Indian bowler IIRC, the only one who looked like he was actually trying.

I do like his ticker (and you can see that with bat too), but yeah... just not a particularly good bowler.
He had a spell day 2 at the Oval where he was the only bowler who remotely lokked like he knew what he was meant to be doing.

Needs to get his surgery (which, regardless of how bad you think Sharma is should be factored into his non-performance), have a break and get back to bowling in First Class cricket for a while.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think he panders to a lot of the ingrained prejudices that some cricket followers (myself included) have about seamers. He's tall, hits the deck and is sharp enough, so looks like he belongs in tests & gets labelled "unlucky" because of it. In reality tho the end product is sadly lacking.

Disagree with the Sreesanth comparison slightly; IMHO he's where Hilf was at the end of the Ashes. Needs to go away and rethink his MO. Like the big Tasmanian I think if he bowled fuller and attacked the the stumps a little more he'd look a much better bowler.
Whenever he did that Clarke belted him for 4. My major issue with him is that he is gun barrel straight. He is like a much quicker Brent Arnel.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Ishant is one of only three bowlers who can fling it across at over 140k- so hardly someone to throw out. Instead, they need to make the most of him. The funny thing is that he's bowling fastest when he's bowling a defensive line, so the other bowlers need to be worked on. He'll at best take care of economy, and wickets will be just a bonus, but he's a lot more sustainable than, say, Vinay Kumar or Sudeep Tyagi (though I'd still rate Vinay Kumar a lot more).

Sylvester

State Captain
Yadav overtook him and it Kumar seems to be a bowler the selectors like so Sharma would be the one to make way for him.

Sharma has the right attributes to be a good bowler, height and speed are two attributes you love to have as a seam bowler. Needs to find the McGrath line and length and stay patient on that and add some seam movement.

archie mac

International Coach
I get ROYALLY PISSED when people say that he is unlucky, unlucky, unlucky......

133 wickets in 45 Tests, average = 37.19 and strike rate of 65.2.

BALLS HE IS UNLUCKY!!!:@

Ishant, if you can't ****in take wickets.LEAVE.
Don't watch him as much as others on here, but seems he only needs to change a couple of things. Pitch up and develope some reverse swing.

I thought he bowled OK against Aust but was a little unl.............:ph34r:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
We clearly have 3 fast/medium-fast bowlers better than him - Zaheer, Praveen and Umesh. So, he shouldn't make the first XI now. Anyways, he needs a break now. He has the potential to be a good support bowler in future. Don't see him carrying the Indian attack on his shoulders ever.