• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sherwin Campbell versus Stuart Williams

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Campbell: 2882 @32.38 (tests); 2283 @26.24 (ODIs)
Williams: 1183 @ 24.14 (tests); 1686 @ 32.37 (ODIs)

They have opened the batting together in 27 innings in tests: 868 @32.14
And in 14 innings in ODIs: 333 @ 21.13

Who's the better batsman?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Loved Sherwin Campbell. Produced quite a few good back-to-the-wall knocks. Super inconsistent though but I think he's better than Williams

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Always thought Stuart Williams had a lot more potential and his technique was almost like a right handed Brian Lara. But Sherwin Campbell achieved more and always gotta rate the guy who faced upto the fastest bowlers in the world first up without grills on his helmet.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Always felt Williams was our Graham Hick, or in this generation, Devon Smith.

Utterly dominant in FC cricket, just not quite good enough internationally.

Sherwin showed enough at test level to be the better of the two.

flibbertyjibber

Sherwin was the better test player. Can't say I can recall either as an ODI player but don't recall many as rarely watch them anyway outside of World Cups.

SillyCowCorner1

Even though I know Campbell is the better batsman at the international level, I was always scared **** when Williams came with his Leewards team to play us.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
For mine Sherwin Campbell is the better bat - but then I always look at Test performances as the ultimate guide to batting talent.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Surprising to see multiple others here say Williams looked like a RH Lara as from what I recall of him his technique looked way short of Test standard so not surprised struggled at that level.

Certainly rated Campbell much higher and while his overall Test record wasn't great, think they cast him aside too soon in 00/01. Sure he had a largely dire tour of England & Australia but who hasn't on those tours? I think his stoicism could've been handy for a couple of years afterwards.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Still remember his square cuts and pull shots.
He thought he could pull well, till he faced Akthar. Still can remember an Akthar thundering in to his top edge and going over thirdman for a six, when they first met in a match.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Sherwin easily. Williams may have been more aesthetically pleasing but Sherwin was a fighter. He both were among many who never came close to filling the breach left by G&H

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

Here is the incident I described. Next ball played on. Akthar was way too hot to handle.