• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Watson

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
I think the reason people are talking about Watson or Symonds being in the test squad for the Sri Lanka series is that Trevor Hohns was going to replace the injured Williams with an all rounder. With Watson out of the way it will be Symonds.

I don't know why they're bothering. The all rounder isn't going to play anyway. If a bowler breaks down then Tait will get a game.

I am quite excited that Watson is coming home to Queensland. I've never rated his bowling but his batting is excellent.

ash chaulk

International Captain
how bad is Shane Watson in ICC2002 he is soo crap lol......... the only way you can tell the game is not real

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Watson hasnt played test cricket so its hard to prove or disprove that comment.

I remeber watching Watsons first class debut on Pay Tv a couple of years ago and he hooked Kaasprowicz for 6 early in his innings, and straight away i thought this kid was going to play for australia, when he finally does crack the test side hes sure to have a good career.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Compare them at first-class then
Yes , good idea

Shane Watson (23 years old)
28 first class matches , 2038 runs@47.3 (HS - 157) , 53 wickets @28 (bb - 6-32)

Jacob Oram (25 years old)
48 first class matches , 2349 runs@37.2 (HS - 155) , 78 wickets@27.7 (bb - 5-30).

Watson ain't better than Oram.
After taking your advice & comparing their respective first class figures , plus taking into account Watson is two years younger & plays in a substantially more challenging domestic competition I think most people would come to the conclusion Watson is the better player.

Of course figures dont always tell the full story but I reckon Watson would make the Kiwi team pretty comfortably.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Mingster said:
Compare them at first-class then. How old is Watson?
Code:
[B]SR Watson[/B]
FIRST-CLASS
 (2000/01 - 2004; last updated 22/06/2004)
                      M    I  NO  Runs   HS     Ave     SR 100  50   Ct  St
Batting & Fielding   28   49   6  2038  157   47.39  50.75   7  10   13   0

O      M     R    W    Ave   BBI    5  10    SR  Econ
Bowling             406.2   81  1487   53  28.05  6-32    2   1  46.0  3.65

[B]JDP Oram[/B]
FIRST-CLASS
 (1997/98 - 2004; last updated 22/06/2004)
                      M    I  NO  Runs   HS     Ave 100  50   Ct  St
Batting & Fielding   48   74  11  2349  155   37.28   4  13   27   0

O      M     R    W    Ave   BBI    5  10    SR  Econ
Bowling             910    273  2163   78  27.73  5-30    1   0  70.0  2.37

Eclipse

International Debutant
Watson is a very good young player.

Even without his bowling he would still make the Australian team at some stage during his carear.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Craig said:
In the spot of who?
McMillan ?

even without his bowling you would think he would get a game as a batsman given New Zealand dont really have many really top quality batsman.

Craig

World Traveller
I would take McMillan out anyday.

Richardson, Fleming, and Astle are certainly not the worst!

Craig

World Traveller
iamdavid said:
Harris , Mills or possibly Oram.

He has the potential to be a better player than Styris or McMillan.
Chris Harris is past it, and Kyle mills is a substandard ODI bowler. Haven't seen him bowl in Tests.