• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne's replacement

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Pratyush said:
Tim May and all those guys in the 80s weren't all that flash.
I think Tim May was a bit stiff in the timing of Warne coming onto the scene. He provided a lot of quality service to the Australian side, and was a perfect foil for more attacking bowlers.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
However, as Robert (Prince EWS) has pointed-out ad infinitum, such a thing doesn't neccessarily mean there won't be anyone good for another 40 years. There might be someone good in 2 seasons' time, there might be no-one good ever again. We just have to wait and see, really. All we know currently is that there's no-one right now. And of those currently playing, I'd happily say I don't believe any bar Cullen Bailey have any real chance of sustained Test success.
Why do you think Cullen Bailey will be a success more than Dan Cullen, Beau Casson and Nathan Hauritz. They all have very average figures in First-Class cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
'Cos Hauritz and Cullen are fingerspinners, who rarely if ever have any success in modern Australia, and Casson is just, well... terrible and virtually everyone says so. Though Bailey's achieved nothing of note to date, there are several respectible judges on this board (Fuller, the aforementioned Mr Cribb, Jack, Gelman IIRR) who say he does have some potential.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
To be perfectly honest, I've never seen much of Casson Bailey, and don't remember giving him any really big wraps. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It is the middle of winter! :p

But started training about a month ago now, just trying to work on a few technical things early in the year.
Well yeah I know it's the middle of winter over there (pretty much is here too of course) but I was kinda meaning the last season or so. Have heard virtually nothing of your progress since the famed u19 WC.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Tim May was a bit stiff in the timing of Warne coming onto the scene. He provided a lot of quality service to the Australian side, and was a perfect foil for more attacking bowlers.
Good call, I always rated TBA. I thought it was no coincidence that early in his career Warney seemed to bowl a lot better with May at the other end than without him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The only thing that Fuller has really said about Bailey is this, and a few more posts which mention him casually as the conversation develops, and I don't think it's particularly over-bearing.

I do remember saying something directly to Richard about Bailey when he essentially wrote him off merely on the basis of the fact that Australia had produced a test-class spinner recently. I said something to the tune of him not doing extraordinarily well so far, but having the tools required at this stage of his young career to go on to bigger and better things if he continued to improve at a good rate. So it's probably my fault. :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Is Jack close to First-Class cricket?. :unsure:
To the best of my knowledge, not extremely close at this point in time. However he's most likely closer than any other regular poster here, given he has played for Australia U/19s previously and (IIRC) Victoria Second XI at one stage last season (or the season before?).

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Is Jack close to First-Class cricket?. :unsure:
Nah, not really. Played two second XI games, one two seasons ago and one last year. There are probably three spinners (McGain, Holland [both of whom have state contracts] and Beer) in front of me at the moment, and then a few others who are in the same spot as me.

I'm part of the recently launched "Victorian Cricket Academy", where they have two programs - one for those who are still under 19, and another for those players who have finished underage cricket but aren't ready for the state squad. That's what I'm doing at the moment. I only had my first good season of grade cricket last year. Basically, I need to do more with the ball if I am to play a higher standard of cricket.