• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Lee or Ian Harvey

Better Aussie no rounder?

• Shane Lee

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Ian Harvey

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As an actual contributor, Harvey and it's not that close.

Lee threatened to be really good and was more physically talented but underachieved with the ball especially. I remember hearing stories about how he was the quickest bowler in Sydney grade before his younger bro blew everyone away. Bloke with his pace and seam should have taken more FC wickets but, from memory, had glass knees.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ian Harvey always struck me as that random crap player that Australia picked just to give opposition fans a few moments of false-hope per-game before Bevan or McGrath would finish them off.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Harris had a much better ER though.

Still awkward comparison as Harris was more of a Bevan-type batting allrounder.

TheJediBrah

Harris had a much better ER though.

Still awkward comparison as Harris was more of a Bevan-type batting allrounder.
Yeah was a very weird comparison. Harvey was more of a bowling all-rounder, or even a bowler at the top level. Even regardless of his batting he would have probably taken the new ball for NZ for the best part of a decade.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well Chris Harris did bat at 8 a lot internationally. But also averaged 45 in FC cricket with the bat

It's hard to really nail him down as a batting or bowling all rounder

TheJediBrah

Well Chris Harris did bat at 8 a lot internationally. But also averaged 45 in FC cricket with the bat

It's hard to really nail him down as a batting or bowling all rounder
Having watched Chris Harris bowl a lot in ODIs (and noting that he has a bowling average of 73 in Tests), pretty safe to say he's a batting all-rounder in red-ball cricket I'd say

I get the feeling that the only reason he bowled much at all for NZ was that they didn't have much better and it suited their slow-medium restrict-runs ODI tactics, and suited their slower pitches

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Having watched Chris Harris bowl a lot in ODIs (and noting that he has a bowling average of 73 in Tests), pretty safe to say he's a batting all-rounder in red-ball cricket I'd say

I get the feeling that the only reason he bowled much at all for NZ was that they didn't have much better and it suited their slow-medium restrict-runs ODI tactics, and suited their slower pitches
Definitely. Actually had a superb record for Canterbury in NZ provincial cricket (Chris Harris 84 5442 57.89 251* ) average of almost 60.

That is the same province that Nathan Astle, Craig McMillan, Stephen Fleming (before moving to Wellington), Brendan McCullum (for a short time when not in Otago) and Chris Cairns all played for, yet Harris did better than all of them in provincial cricket as a batsman - just never clicked at test level.

TheJediBrah

That's a pretty crazy drop to be averaging 20 with the bat in Tests. I'm actually surprised to see that he only averaged 29 in ODIs as well, he always seemed to do pretty well. Probably one of those Kiwis (seems to be a lot of them) who performed far above their usual level when playing against Aus

_Ed_

Definitely. Actually had a superb record for Canterbury in NZ provincial cricket (Chris Harris 84 5442 57.89 251* ) average of almost 60.

That is the same province that Nathan Astle, Craig McMillan, Stephen Fleming (before moving to Wellington), Brendan McCullum (for a short time when not in Otago) and Chris Cairns all played for, yet Harris did better than all of them in provincial cricket as a batsman - just never clicked at test level.
Weirdly, he batted at every single position from four to 10! Averaged 37.66 at number five, but only played three tests in that spot.

mr_mister

I feel his test average might have climbed with a larger sample size. Though im only basing that on his domestic record, his actual batting technique looked pretty agriculrural to me

mr_mister

Also it's quite surprising he only averaged 29 in ODIs considering he registered 62 not outs in the format lol. Third most of all time behind Bevan and Dhoni who both averaged over 50

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

I'm surprised to find that he's only 49 years old now. He looked about 49 when he was playing back in the late-90s