• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Final 2 - NZ v Australia - Eden Park

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The comms up here were going on about him being a typical slab of Kiwi beef and all that, but he's pretty much a Queenslander, isn't he? Moved to Oz as nipper and, obvz, ex-Kangaroo too.
Yeah he is. A dual international in every sense.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
He's from Upper Hutt. They don't get any more Kuiwui than that..
I'm not from Upper Hutt but I live there - I reckon accents from your neck of the woods in the Sth Island are more classically kiwi.

(Your former neck of the woods)

Edit - just heard the interview - that isn't a "Kiwi accent" it is an Upper Hutt accent. People joke about Upper Hutt English at my workplace. Still maintain that the Sth Island is more classically New Zealand. When I was growing up I used to be able to pick where you were from - based on your accent. Can't do it anymore as I was overseas for sometime.

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I feel for you here - if we had lost I would prefer to default the 3rd place game.
3rd vs 4th is a joke really, I doubt either side is really interested in the sticking around in a tournament you've been knocked out of for an entire week.

Just one other point based on the match tonight, I'd be shocked if Joubert isn't the referee for the final. Since the 2007 WC I'd say hes been the best official in the world and comfortably overtaken the likes of Kaplan and Rolland who seemed to be the most highly rated referees about four years ago. The only reason I can see for Rolland getting the gig is his ability to speak french, which I guess comes into the referee appointment but shouldn't be the dominant factor.

Zinzan

Thoroughly dominant display from the men in black. The 14 point margin actually flattered the Aussie's for mine, then again, NZ could afford to shut the game down towards the end & do so brilliantly.

ripper868

International Coach
Now Australia goes back to not caring about rugby for four years.
British and Irish Lions Tour will have something to say about that.

As will the Reds :p

Well Played AB's - better team won and thouroughly deserved it. What bothers me is our backline failed to score a single try against Ireland, SA or NZ. Says it all really.

Dissapointing to be out but can't complain being beaten by the best.

Just as an aside World Cups are like soccer goals - they count double when they are away :ph34r:

Obviously i'm gutted but cant begrudge the kiwi's. Too good. And will bash the frogs - The majority of Australia is with you. (I am anyway).

Burgey

British and Irish Lions Tour will have something to say about that.

As will the Reds :p

Well Played AB's - better team won and thouroughly deserved it. What bothers me is our backline failed to score a single try against Ireland, SA or NZ. Says it all really.

Dissapointing to be out but can't complain being beaten by the best.

Just as an aside World Cups are like soccer goals - they count double when they are away :ph34r:

Obviously i'm gutted but cant begrudge the kiwi's. Too good. And will bash the frogs - The majority of Australia is with you. (I am anyway).
Happens when you pick two centres who don't pass the ball.

ripper868

International Coach
Indeed. Was fuming when McCabe ran straight at Franks and gave away that penalty...wtf was he thinking!

_Ed_

Thoughts on this?

Must confess I didn't notice it at the time, but it's caused a bit of a stir.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year

Thoughts on this?

Clearly Elsom's carrying that out under IRB orders and just checking that Smith's mouthguard isn't sponsored. In all seriousness though, it looks really bad - I don't believe he was cited so I guess nothing further's going to be made of it, and I'm a bit surprised about that.

Burgey

If only Rocky had used his arms for a good cause - like making tackles instead of dropping off them all night.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member

Thoughts on this?

Australia wanted to win. The ABs are no saints - I have no ill feelings towards the Aussie player here. Our players were adding ill feeling to the game by rubbing Pococks hair after penalties and lipping off. I still have memories of us winning against France by having Richard Loe basically beat up a French front rower on the grounds that he was good and we were losing the game. We then proceeded to win.

The ABs said it was one of the roughest games they had played - Corey Jane got cut. Ellis got a face full of blood. It was a war.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I still have memories of us winning against France by having Richard Loe basically beat up a French front rower on the grounds that he was good and we were losing the game. We then proceeded to win.
Richard Loe played seven games against France, and lost two of them.

Of the five remaining:
- 1989: we beat France 25-17, after leading 17-0 at half time, so France weren't ahead at any point
- 1989: we beat France 34-20, after leading 16-3 at half time. Highly unlikely they overtook us to be 20-16 ahead before we pulled away
- 1990: we won 24-3, so... yeah...
- 1990: we won 30-12 after being ahead 15-6 at half time. A chance your story comes true here, but a slim chance
- 1995: we won 37-12 after being 20-5 ahead at half time.

So, which game was it?