• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi final 1: Brazil vs Germany

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Michael Owen's commentary in that clip is (surprise surprise) bloody terrible. "It makes no difference if the ball was going in, it's still denying a goalscoring opportunity". Clueless idiot.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
If it wasn't going in then it wasn't denying a goal or goalscoring opportunity and was therefore just a regular handball in the box, which wouldn't usually be a red card.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Disagree, he didn't know it wasn't going in or he wouldn't have done it. Therefore the intent to cheat is the same whether it was going in or not. I'm not sure exactly what the rules have to say in such situations, but that is the way that IMO it should be.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
True, but it makes the issue cloudy. I'm sure you'd agree if it was going out for a throw in he shouldn't be sent off? Line has to be drawn somewhere.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Refereeing is full of judgement calls with no clear answer anyway; for starters, look at deliberate and non-deliberate handball. It's usually fairly obvious when someone handballs it whether they are thinking the ball is going in or not.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Disagree, he didn't know it wasn't going in or he wouldn't have done it. Therefore the intent to cheat is the same whether it was going in or not. I'm not sure exactly what the rules have to say in such situations, but that is the way that IMO it should be.
I agree really, but if the letter of the law is applied as the law is currently, it was right that the ban was overturned.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah this

King Pietersen

International Captain
Nice controversial first post. German's being on EPO must have been the reason for winning 7-1, not that Brazil were 5-0 down after 20 mins and just gave up.