• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

See ya, Braces - it's been, errrrr, grand?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
New Zealand Cricket is to begin searching for a new national coach after John Bracewell confirmed that he will not be seeking re-appointment to the position at the end of his contract in April 2009.

"John has informed me that he will not be looking to extend his contract for another term and will instead pursue other coaching opportunities in cricket," NZC CEO Justin Vaughan said.

"We will now begin a process to recruit a new Black Caps coach and will soon begin a search for suitable coaches throughout the game internationally.

"John has taken the Black Caps a long way in his time with the team and has driven some tremendous results, most notably in the one-day game.

"We will be looking for someone who can build on John's work and take the team forward. We currently have an extremely talented group of players with some really exciting individuals entering the international game.

"I believe they have the makings of a very successful team, and the coach will be selected to realise this potential," he said.

Bracewell said: "I have enjoyed my time with the Black Caps and am now looking forward to future challenges at the conclusion of my contract next year."
I really would much prefer it if they started looking after the England tour, but they won't. John Wright, come on down.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4517966a1823.html

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So we have a lame duck coach for a year? He can't even bloody resign properly - the ****.

In other (not unrelated news) - Party at Chez Heath tonight. Bring your own effigy of Braces to throw on the fire. My Bracewell Voodoo Doll has finally succeeded.

Actually, I'd like to see Dave Nosworthy appointed; given the success he's had with a bunch of inexperienced youngsters at Canterbury (if John Wright doesn't take the job, that is)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
So we have a lame duck coach for a year? He can't even bloody resign properly - the ****.

In other (not unrelated news) - Party at Chez Heath tonight. Bring your own effigy of Braces to throw on the fire. My Bracewell Voodoo Doll has finally succeeded.
Looks like I'll be there a week too late. :(

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
You're down here a week on Saturday, eh? Job starts a week on Monday?
Yeah, will start driving down probably Thursday but I'll take my time (might go see my sister and her family at the Mount as a wee detour). Getting a contract sent to me today, but just waiting on one reference to be confirmed, so it's as close to a done deal as it can be without being one. If you follow..

HeathDavisSpeed

Yeah, will start driving down probably Thursday but I'll take my time (might go see my sister and her family at the Mount as a wee detour). Getting a contract sent to me today, but just waiting on one reference to be confirmed, so it's as close to a done deal as it can be without being one. If you follow..
We'll see you presenting on trackside within a year, I reckon. At least you can wave Auckland goodbye (or good riddance)!

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, seeing as we managed to get this thread off-topic quicker than a Mathew Sinclair test innings in recent years, what are your thoughts on the support staff? I never really had much of an opinion of Vaughan Johnson (who I had some coaching - or "non-coaching" - from when I was a teenager), but are there other bowling coaches about for us to use?

Mike Hesson is a bit young, but has startled me with his efforts with Otago - I thought it might have taken him a while to get respect from his players, but he's done an outstanding job.

Natman20

International Debutant
Good on him for stepping down, someone new is needed although he has managed to help keep New Zealand near the top of the ODI rankings table throughout most of his time. I don't think he should be put down as a coach because he did make improvements in some areas with his fault being putting less emphasis in others such as tests and the way players should play in them.

John Wright will hopefully be selected straight away. I look forward to seeing a better performing NZ test team with him at the helm. I believe he can change the squad to deal with tests better and maybe he will have his screwed on properly as to who should play. First he has to come forward of course ... I think he would go for coach though, it'll probably be better than high performance center position.

HeathDavisSpeed

The only time I've met Vaughan Johnson, he was doing his absolute how's-ya-fathers about the quality of a club cricket wicket in the Hutt Valley. He came across like a totally arrogant ****.

No idea about his coaching quality though, but I have heard he's a thoroughly objectionable chap. What was your experience of him?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
The only time I've met Vaughan Johnson, he was doing his absolute how's-ya-fathers about the quality of a club cricket wicket in the Hutt Valley. He came across like a totally arrogant ****.

No idea about his coaching quality though, but I have heard he's a thoroughly objectionable chap. What was your experience of him?
Pretty much that. He thought the best way to get the message across to a bunch of teenage boys was to act like a big tough authoritarian and throw the odd swearword in. As for coaching me specifically, he said "I don't know anything about legspinning, so just keep bowling and if there's something you thing you need help on, I might be able to lend a hand". Well, that's handy, VJ.

Unfortunately, his coaching methods became something of a parody among me and our mates and we had no respect for him.

HeathDavisSpeed

Pretty much that. He thought the best way to get the message across to a bunch of teenage boys was to act like a big tough authoritarian and throw the odd swearword in. As for coaching me specifically, he said "I don't know anything about legspinning, so just keep bowling and if there's something you thing you need help on, I might be able to lend a hand". Well, that's handy, VJ.

Unfortunately, his coaching methods became something of a parody among me and our mates and we had no respect for him.
That's total ****. Sounds a bit like a coach my missus used to have when she was with Hampshire. Even more annoyingly, that guy only seemed to provide coaching advice to his 'favourites' (which seemed to number 2 people). She got a lot more assistance from players training alongside her - particularly Billy Taylor as I recall. That's a while back, but I really don't get these coaches who don't provide any 'coaching'. I don't know where they get their reputations as 'coaches' from.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
That's total ****. Sounds a bit like a coach my missus used to have when she was with Hampshire. Even more annoyingly, that guy only seemed to provide coaching advice to his 'favourites' (which seemed to number 2 people). She got a lot more assistance from players training alongside her - particularly Billy Taylor as I recall. That's a while back, but I really don't get these coaches who don't provide any 'coaching'. I don't know where they get their reputations as 'coaches' from.
I wasn't overly fussed at the time as the coaching was practically free, and I was paying for genuine coaching in the art of leg-spinning from Billy Ibadulla, who gave me 100 times more insight into leggies than VJ ever could.

But yes, that whole experience is why I hold him in fairly low regard.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Unsurprising. Bracewell get's a lot of stick, and some of it has been deserved. Test perforances, even before the mass exodus of experienced players, markedly declined under his reign, and his frequent Bushisms in front of the microphone were a constant source of cringing amongst kiwi fans.

At the same time I think he's done a decent job of fostering some of the younger talent like Patel, McCullum and Taylor, and has coached us to one or two great moments, like the Eden Park win over South Africa and the 2007 CH clean sweep. It also has to be recognised that he's had to deal with an entire team effectively leaving during his reign (of which only the useless Adam's and the ageing Astle could genuinely be said to have left because of his method of coaching). I think he's borne a lot of the fan's frustration at poor results that are as much to do with inexperienced and underperforming players, than it does with Bracewell's efforts as a coach.

So I'm not overly sorry to see him go, but I'm not expecting things to drastically improve as soon as he's out the door. As for a replacement, in an ideal world it'd be John Wright. But I'd be somewhat surprised if he took the job, given how much he wants to stay with his family, and how much he's enjoying his current role. Besides, a lot of Wright's success in India came from professionalising what was effectively an amateur team, in terms of organisation and training. There's not much to be done in the case of New Zealand, so I wouldn't hold my breath about him producing better results (though he would almost certainly do a better job of managing the players).

If not Wright, New Zealand Cricket would probably try to pinch an overseas coach using the extra cash they got from cozying up to India this year.

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Firstly, pleased that Bracewell hasn't extended his contract past April 2009, looking back to when he took over the side in late 2003 we've gone backwards in test cricket and remainded at about number three in the ODI standings. Also made the semi finals of three international tournaments and lost them all. So we really haven't advanced since his taking over from Aberhart.

Whilst John Wright seems the obvious replacement, I wouldn't object to an overseas coach. Just a note on Wright, he was obviously popular and eventually successful in India but I seem to remember that if it wasn't for the VVS Laxman and Rahul Dravid show in that test in that series he might well have been on the way out. I doubt if NZ had been in that situation Ross Taylor and Peter Fulton would've saved Wright like the two Indians did.

So I don't see anything wrong in an overseas coach in the Steve Rixon-mould, even a Duncan Fletcher type got results with England and was successful in the test arena - is that not what we're looking for?

pasag

RTDAS
Great coach and servant of NZC.

/Fishing.

Seriously though, a sad day for all those who have enjoyed the New Zealanders constant ranting against him over the years.