• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Second best off-break bowler?

Who is the best?

• Jim Laker

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Erapali Prasanna

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Saqlain Mushtaq

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Ashley Mallet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Greame Swann

• Saeed Ajmal

• Harbhajan Singh

• Lance Gibbs

• Venkatraghavan

• Dilruwan Perera

• Total voters

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Murali is the best. The question who is next.

Laker has a astonishingly good average, and of course that 19 wickets in one match. Prasanna' s average is not very impressive (compared to Murali or Laker), but was an artist. People say very good things about Mallet. Saqlain shot out best spin playing lineup on their own soil, so was Swann. Harbhajan, despite his dip, once was a match winner and has taken 400 wickets. Ajmal, had issues with his action, but was a magician with the ball.

Whom do you reckon?

Howe_zat

Audio File
If Laker were around today every thread about him would be filled with moaning about him tearing up on friendly home pitches - average 18 at home, 29 away

I don't really want to hold it against him as tearing up on friendly 1950s home pitches was his job, but it's interesting how he gets away with it compared to modern players

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Second best mystery of the world. Migara's obsession with second best being the first
Can anyone edit the poll? I thought Perera as the joke option, but on second note Haebhajan can take that spot, so Tayfield can be added.

But Meh, Murali not being the best off-spinner in the cricketing history is a biggest mystery.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Can anyone edit the poll? I thought Perera as the joke option, but on second note Haebhajan can take that spot, so Tayfield can be added.

But Meh, Murali not being the best off-spinner in the cricketing history is a biggest mystery.
comfortably the second best though. ***** being the first. dude is a ripper.

Getting back into cricket and working on my phenomenal offies, so figured I'd scour all the info in CW about finger spin and compile it onto one thread for easy reading, followed by links to youtube tutorials and such.

Please feel free to take my advice, problems, and suggestions you may have.
More on ***** Off Spin Masterclass : http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/coaching-equipment-forum/65476-finger-spin-megathread.html

watson

Banned
I think that the top 5 should go something like....

1. Murali
2. Jim Laker
3. Lance Gibbs
4. Erapalli Prasanna
5. Hugh Trumble

Although, if I had to pick an off-spinner to take on the likes of Hobbs, Bradman, Tendulkar, and Harvey all in a one-off ATG Test series then Prasanna would be my choice.

But some lovers of off-spin have a differing opinion.....

Why Laker, Prasanna remain better off-spinners than Murali, Bhajji

by S Giridhar and VJ Raghunath
Mid-wicket Tales Aug 31, 2012 14:04 IST

.......Over the years, tons of wickets have been taken by the off-spinners. There are at this moment in August 2012, 35 off-spinners who have taken at least 50 Test wickets. All of them have been valiant servants of the game, and the spectrum ranges from the wide eyed Muralitharan on a summit of 800 wickets that no bowler will ever surpass (the cliché that records are meant to be broken will not apply here) to W Bates who took 50 wickets more than 125 years ago, surely forgotten even in his own homeland but whom Wisden in its almanac describes with a lot of respect for exceptional ability.

If we were to poll cricketers and knowledgeable cricket followers to rank these 35 off-spinners, there will never be any kind of agreement. And yet, cricket statistics has its own fatal charm, seducing the keen follower of the game to try and stack cricketers on some key statistical parameters. We were no exceptions. We created a composite effectiveness index using five parameters — Number of Wickets, Strike Rate, Bowling Average, 5 and 10 Wicket hauls, and proportion of wickets taken away from home — and ranked all the 35 off-spinners with over 50 Test wickets.

Based on this composite effectiveness index the top 20 off-spinners were: Muralitharan, Jim Laker, Harbhajan Singh, Hugh Trumble, William Bates, Graeme Swann, Saqlain Mushtaq, Lance Gibbs, Tayfield, EAS Prasanna, GE Palmer, Saeed Ajmal, Ashley Mallett, IWG Johnson, Fred Titmus, DA Allen, Roy Tattersall, Shivlal Yadav, Venkataraghavan and Tauseef Ahmed. All too predictably, while we agreed with some of the rankings our statistical massaging threw up, we vehemently disagreed with others.

We realised that we must stick our neck out and make our own subjective but informed estimates of quality. While facts and figures were at the back of our mind we brought in our own assessment of factors such as guile, the beauty of their bowling action and so on. To begin with we agreed that the three spinners of the long ago generation — Trumble, Bates and Palmer — would be included in the top-20 but will not be ranked, for we were in a no position to argue one way or the other about their place. But for the remaining 17 we would rank them.

And so we arrived at our own list of the 17 greatest off spinners of all time:

01. Jim Laker
02. Erapalli Prasanna
03. Lance Gibbs
04. Muttiah Muralitharan
05. Hugh Tayfield
06. Saqlain Mushtaq
07. Harbhajan Singh
08. Graeme Swann
09. Venkataraghavan
10. Saeed Ajmal
11. Ashley Mallett
12. Fred Titmus
13. Ghulam Ahmed
14. David Allen
15. Roy Tattasall
16. Ray Illingworth
17. Ian Johnson

.......Murali on sheer numbers is so far and above the rest that he can sit on the summit impervious to anything that people might say about his bowling. The interesting thing is that Murali was probably as much a wrist spinner as a finger spinner which is why he could spin the ball on a marble top. Harbhajan, second in the wicket list enjoyed his greatest moments when he single-handedly bowled India to a series win against Australia in 2001. Harbhajan relies greatly on bounce, not so much on drift. If he gets a wicket early he is terror but if denied a wicket early, he gets fretful. As purists, both of us, give a lot of emphasis to the purity of action and on that count alone we are unable to rate both these giants above Laker and Prasanna.

Why Laker, Prasanna remain better off-spinners than Murali, Bhajji - Firstpost

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Glad to see that sense of humour bypass has taken.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

The GOAT

Plus the fact he was an outstanding gritty batsman. Cricket's most underrated allrounder of all time.

watson

Banned
Greg Matthew's bowling average of 48 doesn't inspire much confidence but he was certainly good enough. His main claim to fame I reckon was his figures of 5/103 and 5/146 during the 1986 tied Test against India. To bowl accurately during the closing stages of the Test and then claim the final wicket would have taken a high degree of skill and good temperment.

The following video is probably unique due to the fact that it shows both Dean Jones vomiting and a tie.

Last edited:

Red

Obviously was being a bit facetious with regards to Matthews bowling and the whole post. Not really sure why Matthews test bowling figures are pretty dire, his FC numbers are much more respectable over a lot of matches. I seem to remember him being attacked a lot when bowling in tests, opposition batsman really went after him.

Red

Have heard Allan Border say how epic Matthews was in that tied test, in incredibly oppressive conditions. He just bowled and bowled and bowled. 28 overs in the first innings and 40 in the second.