• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Salman Butt released early from prison

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I couldn't be arsed to open the link but I se Salman Butt wants a fresh trial in Pakistan and is claiming to have new spot-fixing evidence (source, cricinfo frontpage)

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
He's got a criminal conviction in England so the court sin Pakistan don't have the authority to rule against the judgement, he wants a fresh trial it has to be in England.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Butt wants a re-trial because there was no evidence against him.

Unless there's an enormous difference between English Law and Scots Law that I'm not aware about, I'm pretty sure if there was no evidence against him the case would never have made its way to court in the first place.

Bonnie Prince C

U19 12th Man
Megrahi and now Butt will the British Justice System ever learn...

I actually don't see it as a big deal because far more dangerous criminals get let out early all the time. Him trying to clear his name is a joke though, but given how big a joke the justice system is it will probably work.

Our courts struggle to put guilty people in jail, so I cannot see them putting someone in prison without clear evidence.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I might be imagining this, but didn't accepting one's guilt used to be a condition of getting parole? I'm sure I've read cases where Joe Bloggs still sits in gaol ten years after completing his tariff because he has refused to cough.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I might be imagining this, but didn't accepting one's guilt used to be a condition of getting parole? I'm sure I've read cases where Joe Bloggs still sits in gaol ten years after completing his tariff because he has refused to cough.
It's not a pre-requisite, but as the Parole Board make their decisions largely on the basis of managing risk it makes it difficult for many, and all but impossible for *** offenders and violent criminals, to get a discretionary release in the absence of a full cough and appropriate expressions of remorse

That said the Parole Board is never involved with short term prisoners (ie any sentence of less than four years) so Butt would have got out at half way anyway, and he got out earlier on the basis he is Johnny Foreigner and we really don't want to have to house him at public expense - pathetic really but then I don't think the Home Office fully understand there is a difference between average cost and marginal cost, not that I'm claiming to fully understand what it is, but its obvious even to me that the former is about £800 a week, while the second is **** all

Langeveldt

Soutie
It's fair enough, why should British tax money keep him fed and watered? He is no danger to society.. A life ban from the game should be enough

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
While he did a terrible thing, I secretly hope he plays again, he was a great player

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
What does general public in Pakistan say to his return home? How is he regarded now?
IMO General public hates him for what he did...and the worst part is he is still trying to clear his name and wants a trial in Pakistani courts.....