• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

S.Warne Could Make A Quick Return To Cricket

Rich2001

International Captain
S.Warne could be back in cricket sooner than expected.

The English club side Lashings have made enquires with Warne for him to turn out for their outfit this season, if he agrees he will join fellow Aussie Mark Waugh and New Zealander Craig Macmillan who will also make their debuts this season.

Warne would join up with a host of past and present cricketers such as....

Richie Richardson - WI
Brian Lara - WI
Wasim Akram - Pak
Shoaib Aktar - Pak
Jimmy Adams - WI
Stuart Williams - WI
Junior Murray - WI
Waqar Younis - Pak
Shahid Afridi - Pak
Stuart Carlisle - Zim
Grant Flower - Zim
Chris Harris - NZ
Franklyn Rose - WI
Allan Donald - SA
Herschelle Gibbs - SA
Inzamam-ul-Haq - Pak
Courtney Walsh - WI
Curtley Ambrose - WI
"Sir Viv" Richards - WI

Warne is able to play throughout his ban due to the fact that Lashings games aren't classed as First Class.

Warne would also be facing the high standard of players required, if he wishes to make a return to the highest level when Lashings take on some of the English Counties inculding Kent ( Titans of Kent Cup), Sussex and Somerset.... He would also get regular games in all of Lashings other games against the likes of the Counties Board X1, uni's and other cricket clubs around the country.

Last edited:

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I am discusted. He is banned from cricket so he should not be able to play at any level until the time is up.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I am off to the Lashings game against Somerset, should be awesome..better not rain

Personally I dont mind if Warne is in the side, but werent Ajay Jadeja and Hansie Cronje banned from cricket? They couldnt play for anyone, not even club sides

krkode

State Captain
Can't a guy play backyard cricket? Isn't this a sort of equivalent to backyard cricket in that it's not official? Only difference is there are big names there. Just a bunch of big names gathering together to play some unofficial cricket?

The ban applies to all cricket recognized by the ICC, like FC, ODI and tests - not roadside or backyard cricket.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Langeveldt said:
I am off to the Lashings game against Somerset, should be awesome..better not rain

Personally I dont mind if Warne is in the side, but werent Ajay Jadeja and Hansie Cronje banned from cricket? They couldnt play for anyone, not even club sides
Azhar was banned. Jadeja was banned for 5 yrs but a Court set him free to play as there was no evidence against him. But the BCCI is not allowing him to play and they set some time limit and after that they will decide to allow him or not.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought he was banned from all cricket including club, so surely lashings comes under that tag too.

I think he can only play cricket which is non-organised.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
A ban in a ban and that should mean all cricket. I think Shane is a great player but he did wrong and so should be punished.
If he gets away with playing some cricket then it isn't really a punishment. I will be very disapointed if he is aloud to play.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
hat's a bit of a unilateral attitude, isn't it? I mean, the aim for taking what is a relatively minor drug is to punish him, not to destroy his career. If he wasn't allowed to even play for anyone, well he'd be out of shape and seriously short of match practice by the time the ban had finished.

Warnie isn't going to be able to play international and FC cricket for at least a year, costing him many thousands in match-fees and missed sponsorships as well as the opportunity to play for his country. Just how much do you want to punish him for taking a mere diuretic? To me, it seems rediculous to punish him in the same way as you'd punish a someone who'd taken a HGH. Not all drugs are equal and in the same way, not all drug offenses are equal. What he did is was against the rules but in the overall scheme of things, pretty minor.

So I guess the question is, how much do you want to punish him and would you feel the very same way if it had been a player like Sachin?

krkode

State Captain
Tamara said:
A ban in a ban and that should mean all cricket. I think Shane is a great player but he did wrong and so should be punished.
If he gets away with playing some cricket then it isn't really a punishment. I will be very disapointed if he is aloud to play.
So are you saying, Warnie here can't go into his backyard and play cricket? :O

How exactly are they going to enforce that?

A ban is a ban. Correct. But it's only a ban from international, and FC cricket. Maybe club, but I'm not sure if the ICC's jurisdiction goes that far. And definitely not a ban on backyard cricket. The only person who can ban him from that might be his mom:duh:

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I am not saying that he can't go into his backyard and play cricket. He can practise all he likes but You can't tell me that this game is a bit of Backyard cricket with those players involved.

The point is he took a drug. It doesn't matter what sort. Even I know to check things out before I have them. I am part of the NZ drug testing group and I am only 16.

With my my ski racing I know someone who got done for taking a Vicks throat tablet. That is all it was but still they got punished. Not to his extreme odviously but then they are only one of the top in their country for a small sport, not in the WORLD for one of the worlds most popular sports.

That is my opinion anyway.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think the key here is that Lashings do not play in a league or anything, and these are merely friendly, in the main fundraising, games.

AFAIK, the players get paid just expenses.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmmmmm.

I'm not sure on the legality of it all. I suppose the loophole is that Lashings play friendlies only and are not part of any 'pyramid structure' of the game so a ban wouldn't apply.

Track and Field athletes who suffer similar bans are still allowed to train, so I suppose that's what Lashings qualifies as - training.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
Hmmmmm.

I'm not sure on the legality of it all. I suppose the loophole is that Lashings play friendlies only and are not part of any 'pyramid structure' of the game so a ban wouldn't apply.

Track and Field athletes who suffer similar bans are still allowed to train, so I suppose that's what Lashings qualifies as - training.
Well he wants to stay fit so that he is ready when his ban ends so why not play some matches?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The point is he took a drug. It doesn't matter what sort.
As far as the rules go, that's true. But as far as what's logical and scientifically correct, it most certainly does matter. This blanket-ban approach to drugs international sporting bodies want to take is just dumb. I mean, how can someone get in as much trouble for chewing on a Vicks as an actual drug-cheat would? The whole"we can't be bothered figuring out how to detect the big drugs so we'll ban everything that can even remotely mask it and punish those who take the masking agents just as severly as those who take the real drugs" attitude is a real boof-headed way of dealing with the problem.

I mean have a look at most of the people busted for drugs-taking in other sports in the last few years and youd be hard-pressed to finda steroid amongst them. You'll sure find a lot of people who might have drunk some coffee or taken a headache tablet, though.

Look, I know what you're saying and believe me, you can throw the rules argument at me as much as you want to and you'd still be correct, particularly because the players are made well aware of the rules. However, my position remains; the problem is actually IN the rules themselves. The problem is also in the 'mandatory sentencing' attitude towards the rules and that Warnie taking a diuretic is somehow on par (morally) with Ben Johnston taking anabolic 'roids in the 1992 Olympics. It's unjustifiable but no-one would dare question it in the sport for fear of being demonised. The stigma of being called a drug-cheat or potentially a drug-cheat is a tough stain to remove.