• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

S Africa calls for its players to stay

brockley

International Captain
The article said the 6 sides and 13 sides were against it,money and 2nd lack of transformation targets.
Some of the T20 side players,and players like Piedt and Berhardian could come across to Counties.Oh and Cook..

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The article said the 6 sides and 13 sides were against it,money and 2nd lack of transformation targets.
Some of the T20 side players,and players like Piedt and Berhardian could come across to Counties.Oh and Cook..
I never said none would take up, but maybe another 2-3 would go kolpak if the T20 does not go through.... I still think 2-3 will take it up if it does go through. What the T20 will probably stop the younger talented but maybe not quite international level going to the T20's overseas to make a better professional living.

brockley

International Captain
Cheers.
In previous articles I have read the South Africa Board think it will stem the flow of players going kolpak.

Their is no restrictions on kolpaks in a team,that team just gets bagged out,thats all.
The ECB uses a carrott not a stick.
Each County gets so much money for playing English youth.

brockley

International Captain
Their were 7/8 players who joined Counties last year.I don't see many this year,but could be wrong.

I would reckon after the 2019 World Cup,players would enmasse join Counties.
Thats
1 UK not left Europe left yet
unless
2 the players hanging round to 2020 20/20 World Cup.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Their were 7/8 players who joined Counties last year.I don't see many this year,but could be wrong.

I would reckon after the 2019 World Cup,players would enmasse join Counties.
Thats
1 UK not left Europe left yet
unless
2 the players hanging round to 2020 20/20 World Cup.
I suppose Kuhn and Morkel (we all know it) and maybe 1 or 2 more will happen like you say.

It seems there are less Myburgh, ten Doeschate ,C.Cooke, van Buuren, Pillans, McKerr, Wheal , Dickson , Roderick, Malan, Madsen, Klein, Jennings, Carse who were either playing provincial , been in SA u19 set-up or ignored after school. Only one being Ricardo Vasconcelos at this moment as a new one.

Last edited:

Tom Flint

International Regular
Not so sure about that, their is a limit to kolpak deals and the best have available have largely been snapped up.... this is not just about money. Abbott for example was earning about the same on his international contract as he gets for kolpak, but felt he was better off playing and living in Eng.

The T20 league is actually more about compensating for the FC structure with regards to other T20 leagues etc
Makes it worse IMO that he turned his back on test cricket just because he would prefer to live in england.
I could understand if it made him financially much more secure

the big bambino

International Captain
He was always behind Steyn, Philander, Morkel and Rabada though. His place in the order would have been supplanted by Ngidi too. There was no reason for him to stay with SA as they would have turned their back on him without a pang of conscience. I'm guessing he knew he was on the periphery and only valuable when others became injured. Given that I think he made the right move.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He was always behind Steyn, Philander, Morkel and Rabada though. His place in the order would have been supplanted by Ngidi too. There was no reason for him to stay with SA as they would have turned their back on him without a pang of conscience. I'm guessing he knew he was on the periphery and only valuable when others became injured. Given that I think he made the right move.
Not really though. Abbott was almost their best bowler in the last few series he played, and and 1 or 2 of those quicks is always injured. I'm not sure him thinking he wouldn't be playing much was a reason he left. That's what made it so interesting, he was virtually a Test regular and still chose County cricket over playing for SA.

the big bambino

International Captain
He's never been a first choice bowler really and only got his opportunity bcos of those injuries. I'm guessing he would be entitled to think he was ranked below the big 4 and is therefore reliant on an injury to be considered for selection. Prudently you couldn't map your limited future in the game around that circumstance. I know what people have said here about quotas but they are a factor and could become relevant at any point. That point may well be the emergence of Ngidi. As soon as SA believe they have the depth to consider him useful but not essential his value to them would drop. Against that I think he maximised his value with his fc contract.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Abbott was picked in preference to Morkel at Hobart, and took the new ball ahead Rabada, so I'm not sure you can say he was peripheral. It was his decision to leave that actually let Morkel back in the side.

akilana

International 12th Man
Rabada is a great talent but Abbott made his debut long time back and was their first reserve bowler. He should have got preference over anybody whenever there was an injury. All of a sudden, Rabada was in the side as a regular and Abbott was still a reserve. Then there was the WC semi-final drama in which he was hard done by. He probably had enough of SA and chose CC. If he was a black player, it would be different.

the big bambino

International Captain
Abbott was picked in preference to Morkel at Hobart, and took the new ball ahead Rabada, so I'm not sure you can say he was peripheral. It was his decision to leave that actually let Morkel back in the side.
There’s a reason why morkel has played so many tests and Abbott so few and the latter would have to factor that selectorial preference into his decision. At that time the selectors only had Abbott’s patchy test form to go by. I can recall commentary that morkel still hadn’t proven himself match fit so I think Abbott got picked because they thought he was more likely to get through a test. Abbott then went on to bowl very well. He’d be entitled to think he only got his opportunity bcos of injuries to morkel and steyn and reflect he’d never been a regular when both were available and draw the obvious conclusion should they both be fit and available again. His getting the new ball ahead of rabada is neither here nor there in establishing his place in the hierarchy; I once saw max walker take the new pill over thommo before the latter shoulder injury, but a reflection of the opportunity provided by the injuries to others who were always preferred to him.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Abbott actually signed the deal months before it was made public. At the time the South African bowlers had yet to really be affected by long-term injuries, so he had been in and out of the test side, so it makes sense that he'd take an opportunity that offered him more chances to play, regardless of whether the money was substantially more or not. What makes his decision look premature is that by the time an official announcement was made he appeared to have broken into the South African side and looked like he may have been set for an extended run. And while I don't know what his family situation is like, obviously playing county cricket means more time at home.

Bolo

State Captain
I think his stated reason was financial security- a multi-year contact vs uncertainty of earnings playing for South Africa.

SeamUp

International Coach
This was coming : Kolpak players face uncertain future in SA | Cricbuzz.com

Abbott and Rossouw didn't play a single domestic game in SA this season.
de Lange not getting contract re-newed in first contractual gossip for 2018/19 season

All Kolpakers who played in 2017/18 season

Richard Levi
Stiaan van Zyl
Colin Ingram
Simon Harmer
Marchant de Lange
Dane Vilas
Hardus Viljoen
Heino Kuhn
David Wiese

The interesting one is Colin Ackermann as he isn't a Kolpak player but still can't play for SA.

Just too many talented 'white' players are playing provincial and the pool to pick for SA is made smaller by Kolpak players. The problem is the quality they bring and the leadership and experience for the younger players.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I agree CSA shouldn’t pay the salaries of players who don’t want to represent South Africa e.g. Abbott and Rossouw but guys like Kuhn who were told they wouldn’t be selected again are still valuable to have around and will increase the standard of cricket. I didn’t watch much domestic this season but what I did catch there wasn’t much quality.