• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

S Africa calls for its players to stay

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
At a time when the declining Rand and the threat of Brexit is luring cricketers to the county circuit, the declining Rand and the promise of fame is luring them to T20 leagues around the world and the declining Rand and lack of opportunity in professional cricket's six-franchise system make other jobs more attractive, there remains a compelling reason to keep at it. Kyle Abbott explains:
I know it's easy to hate on Moonda but jfc. I, for one, am guilty of writing like this in drafts before going back an editing but it's like she just wrote and then submitted without going back at all.

Bijed

International Regular
I know it's easy to hate on Moonda but jfc. I, for one, am guilty of writing like this in drafts before going back an editing but it's like she just wrote and then submitted without going back at all.
Repetition is a recognised rhetorical device, tbf.

Still crap writing in this case, though.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Couldn't agree more with this comment below the article

"The fact that this article does not contain the word QUOTA even once and that every comment contains the same word multiple times is proof of the fact that we are still beating around the bush and no addressing the real issue.
Quota should be used to bring forward cricketers to the domestic circuit. It has no place in the test 11."

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

I know, but she hasn't used it well here at all and makes for awkward and annoying reading. Would've been better off simply stating "The declining rand means players are being lured to overseas leagues or other careers..."

a spambot

School Boy/Girl Captain
If I were a white South African I'd be getting the hell outta there whether I played cricket or not.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hahaha I do this all the time.

Compton

International Debutant
South Africa, the land of opportunity for test cricketers*

*unless there's a gun non-white player in your position

Compton

International Debutant

Yeah it's a recognised, and often effective, rhetorical device; but unless the point in the article is the impact of currency fluctuation on Saffers cricket, it's a very poorly executed one in this case.

Why wouldn't South African players want to spend as much time each year playing overseas when the country is a crime-infested cesspool? Only a real masochist would be champing at the bit to stay.

Noah

School Boy/Girl Captain
Couldn't agree more with this comment below the article

"The fact that this article does not contain the word QUOTA even once and that every comment contains the same word multiple times is proof of the fact that we are still beating around the bush and no addressing the real issue.
Quota should be used to bring forward cricketers to the domestic circuit. It has no place in the test 11."
The article does mention that issue though. It briefly touches on the CSA's transformation targets and the impact on white players.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Seems to specifically avoid using the word, as if it's a dirty word suddenly.

SeamUp

International Coach
Firdose Moonda calls for it but it's just a weak attempt at trying to think all is being done to keep those players and it isn't effecting our competitiveness at domestic level.

Bijed

International Regular
Yeah it's a recognised, and often effective, rhetorical device; but unless the point in the article is the impact of currency fluctuation on Saffers cricket, it's a very poorly executed one in this case.
Oh, fully agree that it's poorly used and awkward here. Almost as if there's a quota for the phrase 'declining Rand'.

Marius

International Debutant
And it's also not true either. The rand actually strengthened from nearly 17 rand for a dollar at the beginning of 2016 and now it's about 13.70 for a dollar. It was actually one of the world's best performing currencies last year.

But we all know Moonda isn't a writer who really takes facts into account.

Noah

School Boy/Girl Captain
Seems to specifically avoid using the word, as if it's a dirty word suddenly.
Is it that surprising? 'Quota' has taken on negative connotations - it's definitely become a coded word for groups who strongly oppose affirmative action/equity employment.