• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ryan Harris vs Vernon Philander

Who was the better test bowler?

• Total voters

Himannv

International Coach
Harris was phenomenal and Australia's best bowler for a good while whenever he was fit to play. I thought he was very effective on pitches that weren't typically helpful to pacers as well.

The_Bunny

State Regular
Harris was better imo.
But I think Philander was the greater bowler as Harris just wasn't on the park long enough.
So if the question was who was the greater test bowler my answer would be different.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Philander wasn't really a late bloomer as much as he just wasn't selected in Tests earlier in his career. Harris was properly **** when he was younger.
Philander bloomed physically into the well-rounded specimen we know and love

Flem274*

123/5
Side by side during their careers, Harris was the better bowler. He was a clear #2 in the world to Steyn. Philander around the top 5.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Side by side during their careers, Harris was the better bowler. He was a clear #2 in the world to Steyn. Philander around the top 5.
His career was so brief it hardly matters what happened in the period his career overlapped with Philander.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Mattered a lot to the results column.
I agree that Harris was better on a match by match basis. But I think you overlook how insanely good the start of Philanders career was. The friendliness of the the pitches he got early career notwithstanding, he was outperforming Steyn pretty significantly at the start. Here is the date at which they had both played 19 matches, or about 70% of ryan's career. Philander debuted later, and Ryan has picked up only about half as many wickets in the same time. IDK if these stats make Philander the better bowler on a game by game basis in this period (pitches), but he is 100% helping to win more matches.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Ryan Harris was never ranked #1, Philander was. Ryan Harris' peak rating is well below Philander's. What exactly are we going by when we say "peak"? Very likely Philander would have a better peak in similar number of games as whatever peak of Harris you consider.

Last edited:

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Ryan Harris was never ranked #1, Philander was. Ryan Harris' peak rating is well below Philander's. What exactly are we going by when we say "peak"? Very likely Philander would have a better peak in similar number of games as whatever peak of Harris you consider.
Harris was bowling seriously well when Ian Bell hit him for 3 match winning centuries in the 2013 Ashes.