• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Run Out

Engle

State Vice-Captain
I, for the life of me, cannot understand why International players with so much experience and coaching get themselves Run Out for no good reason.

In the recent Eng/India series, we've seen Pujara, Root and Curran get Run Out when they're not chasing.
In fact, when they're supposed to be building or consolidating, they dash off for 1 miserly run and end up losing their wicket.

Anyone with a decent explanation ? Is this solvable ?

cnerd123

likes this
Humans make mistakes.

If you constantly risk the quick single, eventually one fielder is going to nail the quick pick up and throw and catch you short.

Batsmen get tired and their running becomes lazy.

Plenty of reasons to have runouts

Howe_zat

Audio File
Only about half the runs scored in test cricket now are in boundaries*. So if you bat for a session of test cricket you have run to the other end around 60 times. A success rate of 98% in that session means you get run out.

Hence people get run out.

*roughly 430k out of 850k since 2000

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've been run out far too many times and can say with absolute certainty it was never my fault - the causes were always one or more of

i) My partner being deaf
ii) A hearing partner with no judgment of a run
iii) Playing on damp wickets with less than perfect spikes in my boots
iv) A fat aging cover fielder suddenly deciding to do a Colin Bland impersonation
v) A clueless umpire

Can't imagine it's too much different at Test level, though less iii) and v) no doubt

Howe_zat

Audio File
I've been run out far too many times and can say with absolute certainty it was never my fault - the causes were always one or more of

i) My partner being deaf
ii) A hearing partner with no judgment of a run
iii) Playing on damp wickets with less than perfect spikes in my boots
iv) A fat aging cover fielder suddenly deciding to do a Colin Bland impersonation
v) A clueless umpire

Can't imagine it's too much different at Test level, though less iii) and v) no doubt
Test cricket has had plenty of fat aging fielders - there must be an example of (iv) we can think of

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mike Atherton. Run out for 99 v Australia at Lord’s, 1993.

One of cricket’s greatest moments.

Actually, that qualifies for (iv) as well, seeing as Merv Hughes ran him out.

Last edited:

Burgey

The wonderful thing about Inzi was that he always looked so gloriously aggrieved after those run outs. Like fate had dealt him a terrible hand and he wasn’t the common denominator in them at all.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
The wonderful thing about Inzi was that he always looked so gloriously aggrieved after those run outs. Like fate had dealt him a terrible hand and he wasn’t the common denominator in them at all.
Watching the first few run-outs, he does have reason to be aggrieved, what with his partners running like rabbits knowing full well he's such a slow sloth.

Preventable ? Definitely.
Entertaining ? More than a glorious Gower cover drive for 4, I'd reckon

TheJediBrah

Because you need to score runs to win, and in international cricket every chance you get to score needs to be taken, hence you take close runs and slight misjudgements can lead to being run out.

You can't just sit back and only take runs when there is absolutely no risk because you won't win as much. I guess essentially, benefit for taking close runs > risk of being run out.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Mike Atherton. Run out for 99 v Australia at Lord’s, 1993.

One of cricket’s greatest moments.

Actually, that qualifies for (iv) as well, seeing as Merv Hughes ran him out.

Dipak Patel run out for 99 going for the THIRD on Derek Pringle's terrible arm. The poor bloke never got a test century. One of cricket's saddest moments.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Dipak Patel run out for 99 going for the THIRD on Derek Pringle's terrible arm. The poor bloke never got a test century. One of cricket's saddest moments.
About as bad as Warne being caught on the boundary for 99 of an un-called no-ball. So similar as well

the big bambino

International Captain
I, for the life of me, cannot understand why International players with so much experience and coaching get themselves Run Out for no good reason.

In the recent Eng/India series, we've seen Pujara, Root and Curran get Run Out when they're not chasing.
In fact, when they're supposed to be building or consolidating, they dash off for 1 miserly run and end up losing their wicket.

Anyone with a decent explanation ? Is this solvable ?
I guess batsmen are even keener for runs when consolidating. That is usually a situation when the fielding side is on top. You can't just block out quality cricketers and wait for the game to turn in your favour. The only way to remove pressure from your side and on to theirs is by scoring runs. If the bowling team is on top due to the fact they are bowling well, you wont get many opportunities to score and consolidate. Therefore you tend to want to maximise every run scoring opportunity and assume the risks that could lead to increasing the likelihood of a run out.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Risk Management. In all sports. As in life. Should I go for it ? or Not ? Should I race thru the red light and gain a few seconds ? And run the risk of a crash ?. Or stop.

My point is there are warranted Run-Outs and there are unwarranted Run-Outs.

I have no qualms with the former.

But the latter is a matter of indecisiveness and desperation.
You're losing the psychological battle when you scrounge for scraps - a measly run here or there.
And when you do get Run-Out, it depresses you/team morale and uplifts your opponents.
You've gotten yourself or your partner out, not necessarily due to your opponents bowling skill, but due to your own fault.

A good batsman could attain more runs by staying at the crease (~ 20+ runs - more in partnership), whereas risky running would gain them much less ( ~ 10- runs)

It is definitely solvable :
1 - Plan ahead with your partner whether you're going to take risky runs or not (based on match situation, time, ability etc..)
2 - When in doubt, YELL ' No ' and I mean YELL to get the message across. It takes 2 to tangle - and if 1 can be decisive, the other can be saved.

But I will agree, that it adds a level of hilarity (tragedy too, I suppose) to the watching public.

Last edited: