• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round of 16: England v Germany (in London, UK)

Who will win?

• the Daily Mail (England)

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • BILD-Zeitung (Germany)

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Kickoff 29 June, 5pm local/18.00 CET

H2H (competitive): England 3, drawn 2, Germany 6
Euro history: England semifinals 1968 & 1996; Germany champions 1972, 1980, 1996, finalists 1976, 1992, 2008

Winner plays winner of Sweden v Ukraine, in Rome, Italy

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think Italy want the final stages moved to Rome due to our ever increasing level of infection.

The OP just highlights how rare it is for us to be in contention for anything.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It looks like it should be a good game, but I also feel like it could very easily be 5-1 to either team.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It looks like it should be a good game, but I also feel like it could very easily be 5-1 to either team.
These are the best though I think, because either you get something that is legitimately good, or something that is really ****ing funny.

I am not sure what it says about my fandom, but as a (nominal) England supporter I take great enjoyment in them both winning and in them being thrashed. The game against Germany in 2010 a truly great memory haha.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I must admit I don’t have the same level of assumption that we’re going to lose that I usually have in knock out matches against one of the traditional top five or six nations. So that counts as optimism, even if it is more based on Germany being more fragile than in the past rather than extra faith in our own team.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Kickoff 29 June, 5pm local/18.00 CET

H2H (competitive): England 3, drawn 2, Germany 6
Euro history: England semifinals 1968 & 1996; Germany champions 1972, 1980, 1996, finalists 1976, 1992, 2008

Winner plays winner of Sweden v Ukraine, in Rome, Italy
Germany also with a couple of semi-finals in 1988 and 2012. Maybe others too. Their record in this tourney is ridiculous, especially as they didn't even enter it before 1972.

Uppercut

I'm sure the BBC's build-up to the 2010 game used to be on YouTube. I'll need to dig it out before this one for the hype.

I remember Alan Hansen insisting that no German player would get in the England team. To an extent it was understandable because not many people knew quite how good some of the German players were at that stage, but also, they had Phillip Lahm at right-back and England had Glen Johnson.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Wonder what would have happened in that game if the Lampard goal had been given.

We were so poor in the prior games and afterwards that it's hard to see a material change but who knows.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think Germany would have regrouped and regained control of the match, but who knows?
Alan Hansen was great at in match analysis, but even leaving aside his famous "kids" quote his predictions and judgement of players was not always the best.

Uppercut

I'm watching bits of it on my lunch break, so I'll let you know what I think. I assume you won't have the same appetite to revisit it.

England are worse individually than I remembered, and Germany are much better. In fact knowing what we know now about the German players the result is far less disgraceful than it seemed at the time. Lineups are:

Neuer

Lahm Friedrich Mertesacker Boateng (playing LB, apparently)

Schweinsteiger Khedira

Muller Ozil Podolski

Klose

vs.

James

Johnson Terry Upson Cole

Milner Barry Lampard Gerrard

Rooney Defoe

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'm sure the BBC's build-up to the 2010 game used to be on YouTube. I'll need to dig it out before this one for the hype.

I remember Alan Hansen insisting that no German player would get in the England team. To an extent it was understandable because not many people knew quite how good some of the German players were at that stage, but also, they had Phillip Lahm at right-back and England had Glen Johnson.
The thing is though, to anyone who had watched Germany and/or England in the tournament up to this stage, this should have been really ****ing obvious haha.

Uppercut

The thing is though, to anyone who had watched Germany and/or England in the tournament up to this stage, this should have been really ****ing obvious haha.
Haha as I recall it even the more educated opinion was that Germany were better tactically rather than individually. Ozil and Muller especially are excellent in such subtle ways, so it would have felt quite radical to conclude that Germany had better players based on those three games. But they really, really did.