• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ross Taylor vs Hashim Amla?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sachin's WC record is spectacular but the criticism of Kohli's record is fair enough imo. I'm surprised he doesn't get that much stick for it. He scored a hundred in the biggest game of all but not much apart from that.
Kohli's just played two WCs and ended up on the winning side in one of them. Hussey doesn't get much criticism either. Fully expect Kohli will make amends for it in the future.

But I don't expect Kohli (or anyone else for that matter) to match Sachin's World Cup record. It was freakish for him to have debuted that early and lasted long enough at the highest level to be able to play 6 WCs. Only one of them was a failure (1999 can be excused given personal circumstances). Kohli can probably expect at best, two more chances.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Amla is rated as one of the best odi batsmen of his generation after looking at his stats only which are wayy too misleading.

Obviously such comparisons will come because players with inferior averages have more impact towards the game than Amla has in odi format.

Do you see me basing hatred judgement on Amla's test career? I have issues with Amla getting rated as the top odi batsmen of this generation beacuse of his statistics although the fact is that he is nowhere close to it.

Neither does he have performances in World Cups nor does he have any iconic knock in bilaterals. He has taken his avg to 50 through a lot of low pressure runs as well as minnow bashing.
The thing is, you seem to be going overboard in trying to prove your point. It's one thing to say that you don't rate a player and give stats to explain why - that happens all the time here. But you've created multiple threads and are arguing far more vociferously than anyone is disagreeing with you.

And if you're simply trying to get a reaction from people, I'm not so sure that you've picked the right target. South Africans (i.e. those more likely to be ardent Amla fans) aren't as strongly represented here as other nationalities, and in general Amla doesn't appear to be rated as highly as you're putting forward that he is. And even those who do rate him would agree with your points that he hasn't performed in World Cups and may have indulged in some minnow-basing (although it can be argued that he should be cashing in against them).

OverratedSanity

Kohli's just played two WCs and ended up on the winning side in one of them. Hussey doesn't get much criticism either. Fully expect Kohli will make amends for it in the future.

But I don't expect Kohli (or anyone else for that matter) to match Sachin's World Cup record. It was freakish for him to have debuted that early and lasted long enough at the highest level to be able to play 6 WCs. Only one of them was a failure (1999 can be excused given personal circumstances). Kohli can probably expect at best, two more chances.
Sachin started off by beating Imran and co in 92, destroyed Shoaib, Wasim and Waqar in 03 and finished off by holding off Ajmal and Wahab in 2011. 3 man of the match performances in the biggest game 18 years apart.

Fair to say Kohli won't match that.

OverratedSanity

I for one am glad that a thread about Taylor and Amla has Sachin and kohli discussion in it. Admittedly I am partially responsible.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I for one am glad that a thread about Taylor and Amla has Sachin and kohli discussion in it. Admittedly I am partially responsible.
I think Cricket Web has its own version of Godwin's Law, where the longer a thread goes on the greater the chance that there'll be a Tendulkar and/or Kohli discussion in it.