• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rohan Bholalall Kanhai

C_C

International Captain
Saw a few cricket videos of this guy....from AUS 1960/61 series, England 1966 and 1973....

Forget Viv, Sachin,Lara, Gillchrist, Sehwag,Chappell etc....this guy is the most scintillating strokeplayer i've ever seen.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Saw a few cricket videos of this guy....from AUS 1960/61 series, England 1966 and 1973....

Forget Viv, Sachin,Lara, Gillchrist, Sehwag,Chappell etc....this guy is the most scintillating strokeplayer i've ever seen.
Apart from his batting, he was a very good captain. I remember him from the 1973 series, which was the first that WI had won for several years. They had a decent attack but not nearly as good as they would later become, yet under Kanhai they were far too good for England's batsmen. He also played a very useful knock in the first WC final, when he must have been approaching 40. He joined Lloyd after three quick wickets had fallen, and their partnership set up the win. As you say, he was a very good player indeed.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
wpdavid said:
Apart from his batting, he was a very good captain. I remember him from the 1973 series, which was the first that WI had won for several years. They had a decent attack but not nearly as good as they would later become, yet under Kanhai they were far too good for England's batsmen. He also played a very useful knock in the first WC final, when he must have been approaching 40. He joined Lloyd after three quick wickets had fallen, and their partnership set up the win. As you say, he was a very good player indeed.
In 66-67, Windies toured India but played no test at Delhi. Kanhai averaged over 50 in the three tests but when one was waiting to see him in the game against the PM's XI at Feroze Shah Kotla at Delhi, he was rested. I went to see him at the nets before the game. He was a pocket sized dynamo. A right handed Lara.

It was the match in which Bishan Bedi came to light getting six wickets in the first innings. I had just finished my senior cambridge exams and it was a great time. Two months short of my 17th birthday and the world was a great place.

Slifer

International Captain
C_C said:

Must say I have to agree with you thats y at times I find it difficult to leave him out of a West Indies best team.