• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the Top : Episode I

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SirBloody Idiot said:
Stoipid question, but are you making up the second eleven scores he made and the balls faced? And the people he took?
I make up the team scores and results but the names of players dismissed I get from the opposing squad.

Mr Mxyzptlk

4th May

Yorkshire XI Scoreboard:
Yorkshire 205/3 (48) beat Middlesex 204/9 (50) by 7 wickets

Outstanding performers:
Michael Lumb 84 not out [105]
Phil Jenkins 39 [61]
Paul Hutchinson 3/32 [10]
Jacob Oram 3/37 [9]

Eldershaw's 2nd XI stats: 2; 1/40

A poor day in the field. A couple dropped catches and then one dropped off my bowling. I ended with 8-2-40-1 but started with 4-2-3-1. The early wicket wasn't exactly brilliant bowling either, but rather a top-edged slog to which I held the return catch. Overall much room for improvement. The good news is that we won by 17 runs.

6th May

Yorkshire XI Scoreboard:
Yorkshire 311/3 (50) beat Worcestershire 258 (45) by 53 runs

Outstanding performers:
Jacob Oram 174 [145]
Phil Jenkins 110 [111]
Phil Moore 4/38 [10] - including a hat-trick in the 44th over
Michael Davies 3/50 [10]

Eldershaw's 2nd XI stats: 0; 1/22

One of my most pleasing days with the ball so far. I just went out there and settled purely on line and length, pitching it up and getting a little bit of away-nip. The batsmen were all at sea in the middle overs, trying desperately to score off that line. Eventually I closed up my tidy spell at 10-4-22-1, my first over having an inside and outside edge for boundaries and going for 9 runs in total. Good way to rebound, but really must work a bit more on my batting as I got out to a hopeless prod today.

Mr Mxyzptlk

7th May

Yorkshire XI Scoreboard:
Yorkshire 153/5 (47.4) beat Nottinghamshire 152 (42.2) by 5 wickets.

Outstanding performers:
Phil Moore 3/26 [8]
Chad Keegan 2/31 [10]
Noel Mullin 2/21 [5]

Eldershaw's 2nd XI stats: 52; 0/49

A bit disappointed as Chad Keegan was called up for the Super Cup game today ahead of me, to replace the resting Hutchinson. Oh well, my time will come. On the field it was a mixed effort. My bowling was very much forgetable, as you'd expect 7-0-49-0 to be, but my batting took it's best turn to date. Coming off that first ball duck in yesterday's game, I managed a half-century this time around, my first in Second XI cricket. The innings was something to be proud of, as it contained 5 sixes and 2 fours and came from only 22 balls, helping propel the score to 333/8 in 50 overs, a winning total by 92 runs.

---

9th May

Yorkshire XI Scoreboard:
Yorkshire 411/5 dec. beat Warwickshire 203 and 171 by an innings and 37 runs

Outstanding performers:
Vic Craven 142
Phil Jenkins 114
Michael Lumb 72 not out
Jacob Oram 43 not out and 4/31
Paul Hutchinson 2/25 and 5/55
Phil Moore 3/42

Eldershaw's 2nd XI stats: 20 and 25; 1/49 and 2/36

A drawn game for the team, but yet another frustratingly efficient one personally. I continue to perform solidly when it's the spectacular hauls that will get me into the first XIs. Still, I keep the faith and try on until I succeed. Very happy with how my generally useless batting is proving somewhat useful lately.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
well h''s coming a star good!!! good batting...not a very good bowler if u ask me...

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
i don't think hes really the greatest batsman in the world...looks a promising bowler in my eyes...

Mr Mxyzptlk

13th May

Yorkshire XI Scoreboard:
Yorkshire 108/2 (31.5) beat Hampshire 107 (32.5) by 8 wickets

Outstanding performers:
Noel Mullins 46 not out [94]
Jacob Oram 32 [48] and 3/20 [7]
Michael Davies 3/7 [4.5]
Phil Moore 2/18 [7]

Eldershaw's 2nd XI stats: 11; 2/80

Ouch! By far the worst game for the season. The Hampshire second string just dug into me and certainly didn't do me any favours considering that manager Liam Camps was attending the game. The only comfort I can take really, aside from my two slower ball induced wickets, is the fact that I cleaned up from 5-0-46-0 to 10-1-80-2 and bowled my final over as a maiden in the 44th. Can't say I'm thrilled with the workload handed by the skipper though, although Tim Ambrose didn't have much choice in the matter considering that the best economy was 4.9 and bowled out.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I've probably made a stupid error, but in the scorecard you say they lasted 32.5 overs, but you say he bowled a maiden in the 44th.

Mr Mxyzptlk

16th May

Yorkshire XI Scoreboard:
Yorkshire 466/9 dec. beat Leicestershire 261 and 96 by an innings and 109 runs

Outstanding performers:
Noel Mullins 118
Vic Craven 108
A Nixon 52
J Oram 50 and 3/42
P Hutchinson 3/57
V Nixon 2/40 and 4/12
C Keegan 2/52 and 4/32

Eldershaw's 2nd XI stats: 7 not out and 7; 7/63 and 1/17

Phil Moore called up to the England team but still no luck for me. :( Instead the selectors went for Vic Black for the game against Leicestershire.

It only gave me that extra bit of determination though and that served me well. Bowling wicket to wicket and swinging it sharply back into the left-handers, I managed 5 LBWs in 7 wickets for just 63 runs. It wasn't the first time this season I found my best rhythm, but it was the first time I had luck to complement it. Having knocked over the boys from Leicestershire for 186 in the first innings and then seeing my team-mates rack up 399, I was thankfully not called upon under any pressure in the second innings and only had to bowl 7 overs for my 1/17. Innings win by 2 runs.
---
20th May

Yorkshire XI Scoreboard:
Lancashire 265/7 (43.5) beat Yorkshire 261/4 (45) by 3 wickets

Outstanding performers:
Michael Lumb 99 not out [88]
Sam Adamson 46 [55]
Jacob Oram 41 [49] and 3/30 [8.5]

Eldershaw's 2nd XI stats: 5; 1/24

Reports indicate that the front line team didn't fare too well, but the 2nd XI pulled off another good if not comfortable win I'm pleased to say. My contribution was not really spectacular, but very solid nonetheless - 10 over, 2 maidens, 24 runs, 1 wicket. Ultimately we knocked the Lancastrians over for 141 and chased that down with some problems, losing 8 wickets in the way.

Mr. P

he appears to be going quite well - very very consistant.

i reckon a first XI call up is nearby, as long as he goes well the next few games...

Mr Mxyzptlk

22nd May

Yorkshire XI Scoreboard:
Yorkshire 384/5 (50) beat Durham 170 (22.2) by 214 runs

Outstanding performers:
Noel Mullin 121 [123]
Jacob Oram 95 [92]
Phil Jenkins 65 [31]
Michael Lumb 62 not out [43]
Michael Davies 3/7 [1]
Michael Vaughan 2/23 [3]
Vic Black 2/40 [4]

Eldershaw's 2nd XI stats: DNP

A bit under the weather at the moment, so I got the day off to see the physio and then head over and watch the senior guys in the Super Cup quarter final. It was quite spectacular too! I didn't catch the earlier batting, but got to see Noel Mullin bring up yet another hundred and Phil Jenkins smash the Durham bowling about. Great stuff. Harmison bowled 10-0-82-1 :) and Eric Richards went for 115 in his 10!

Our boys didn't bowl especially well, but we stuck it out and pulled off a big win in the end. My competition, Vic Black was expensive (4-0-40-2) but got two key wickets so I may be made to wait longer. Feeling much better now and should be back in action for our (2nd XI) next game.
---
25th May

Yorkshire XI Scoreboard:
Yorkshire 309 and 134/3 beat Worcestershire 278 and 164 by 7 wickets

Outstanding performers:
Noel Mullin 72 and 67
Derek Kenway 68
Vic Craven 40
Phil Moore 4/53
Paul Hutchinson 4/32
Michael Davies 2/57 and 3/40

Eldershaw's 2nd XI stats: 9 and 4; 2/76 and 2/46

The inconsistency frustrating continues. I just took a 7-fer and now I charge in against the Worcester boys and get cracked around and gifted a couple of wickets in the first innings. My second innings of 21-1-46-2 with the new ball was significantly better than my 16-0-76-2 in the first though, so I'm not overly disappointed as I focussed and fought back well. My aim right now is to debut for the Yorkshire XI at least in the C&G Trophy 3rd round on the 27th June.

Mr Mxyzptlk

29th May

Phil Jenkins, Noel Mullin and Phil Moore called up to England duty.

Eldershaw: With the England callups my chance came far earlier than I expected! I'm heading to Lord's to make my Yorkshire XI debut against Middlesex! The coach suggested that I'll bowl 1st change, but Vic Nixon has been doing well lately, so he may sneek in ahead of me. Still, I'm just thrilled to be playing and will try to make the best of it.

YORKSHIRE V MIDDLESEX (45-over)

Conditions: Cloudy, Overcast, Sunny
Pitch: Nothing for seamers, a bit for spinners
Toss: Yorkshire (Bowl first)

Score was 31 for 0 from 8 overs when Michael Vaughan called on me for my first over...

1st ball to Henry Downes : full and defended back down the track
2nd ball to Henry Downes : short and defended off the back foot to gully
3rd ball to Henry Downes : pitched up and driven through the covers for 4
4th ball to Henry Downes : HOWZAT?!?!? OUT! Good length and LBW! - 35/1

Michael (Vaughan) was the first to congratulate me and I was absolutely thrilled. A long wait yes, but a wicket in my first over for Yorkshire. After a 2-minute celebration, I went back to my mark and tried to gather myself before once again sprinting in...

5th ball to Matthew Sinclair: short and cut away for 1 run
6th ball to Michael Brown: fullish and defended to midoff

Kicking myself for giving up that boundary, but all in all was a very satisfactory start, surrendering 5 runs and taking a wicket. :) My next couple of overs went for 4 and 5 runs with a couple of boundaries and then I was switched to the other end as Oram finished his spell of 6 overs. The skipper himself bowled the change over (9 runs off it) and I started the 16th over at 3-0-14-1. Beat the edge of Myerscough, but no more success.

My second spell was not altogether as good as my first, getting hit a bit for 18 runs from 3 overs with no wicket. :( Very disappointed I set up at short fine leg as Davies took over from my end - he bowled a wicket maiden. At the other end, Nixon was bleeding runs, with figures of 5-0-45-0. He was replaced by a returning Hutchinson (4-1-20-0).

Tim Myerscough thankfully stumped of Vaughan for 102 in the 36th over and we were right back in it at 197/8. Davies finished his spell of 9-1-49-3 and I took over for my 3rd spell alongside Jacob Oram. Oram took the 9th wicket to set up my 7th over, a maiden without really troubling the batsmen. Jacob then sent down another maiden and gave me another chance to finish the innings. This time I was cut for 4 and then had a good shout for caught behind off the inside edge, but the umpire didn't give it.

I charged in (as much as a medium pace swing bowler can) to bowl the 45th over with the score at 214/9...

1st ball to Simon Cook : BOWLED'M!!! STRAIGHT THROUGH SOME SHABBY DEFENCE!

Full and straight and it paid off for me this time. :D 8.1-1-36-2... not the worst debut ever, but not quite as good as it could have been. Still, I felt like I'd played a good part in setting up a good victory chance for Yorkshire.

Middlesex 214 all out (44.1 overs)
(Michael Davies 9-1-49-3, Jacob Oram 9-3-18-2, Gary Eldershaw 8.1-1-36-2, Paul Hutchinson 9-2-41-2

Jake and Adamson got us off to a solid start and then Vic Craven came in nicely at 3 and classed 55 from 64 balls then was run out. Lumb and Vaughan were out looking to force the pace late, but 22-year-old Alan Nixon calmly stroked 26 from 24 balls and Kenway smashed 24 from 13 balls to seal it with 7 balls in hand.

Yorkshire 215/5 (43.5 overs)
(Vic Craven 55 [64], Sam Adamson 49 [66])

Yorkshire won by 5 wickets

Standings
Chapionship: 1st (21 points ahead of Durham; 1 more game played)
NCL: 1st (4 points ahead of Leic; 2 more games; +0.2 NRR)
Trophy: Round 3 v T.B.D.
Super Cup: Semi-final v Lancashire

Undefeated in all competitions but the NCL (4-1-0).

Mr. P

Brilliant! Great start to his 1st XI career!:)

Excellent that the Vic Nixon didn't bowl well, he might get another chance.

Mr Mxyzptlk

6th June

Phil Jenkins and Phil Moore called up to England ODI duty.

Eldershaw: I got over a bit of a cold but now return to Yorkshire 2nd XI duty for the moment as Chad Keegan returns for the FC game against second place Durham.

Yorkshire XI Scoreboard:
Yorkshire 325 and 34/0 beat Durham 200 and 158 by 10 wickets

Outstanding performers:
Noel Mullin 114 and 14 not out
Michael Vaughan 60 and 15 not out
Jacob Oram 3/40 and 3/28
Michael Davies 4/43
Chad Keegan 3/21

Eldershaw's 2nd XI stats: reached late for pre-game work and was left out of the XI :(

No real excuse except that I messed up this time. Hopefully it won't count too much against me for coming games.

Hoggy31

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
6th June

Phil Jenkins and Phil Moore called up to England ODI duty.

Eldershaw: I got over a bit of a cold but now return to Yorkshire 2nd XI duty for the moment as Chad Keegan returns for the FC game against second place Durham.

Yorkshire XI Scoreboard:
Yorkshire 325 and 34/0 beat Durham 200 and 158 by 10 wickets

Outstanding performers:
Noel Mullin 114 and 14 not out
Michael Vaughan 60 and 15 not out
Jacob Oram 3/40 and 3/28
Michael Davies 4/43
Chad Keegan 3/21

Eldershaw's 2nd XI stats: reached late for pre-game work and was left out of the XI :(

No real excuse except that I messed up this time. Hopefully it won't count too much against me for coming games.
He must've had a big one the night before the game

Mr Mxyzptlk

10th June

Eldershaw: Despite my tardiness a few days ago, I was picked for my second Yorkshire cap, albeit due the poor OD form of Keegan and the international duties of Moore.

YORKSHIRE V LEICESTERSHIRE (45-over)

Conditions: Very Cloudy, Very Cloudy, Very Cloudy
Pitch: Great for seamers and spinner
Toss: Yorkshire (Bowl first)

Score was a comfortable 44 for 3 from 12 overs when I was called to the bowling crease, replacing Hutchinson 6-0-25-2...

1st ball to Alex Loudon : flicked to long leg for 1 run
2nd ball to Adam East : fullish and defended back down the track
3rd ball to Adam East : full toss clipped along the ground to square leg
4th ball to Adam East : yorker dug out
5th ball to Adam East : bye: swinging in and beating legstump, beating Kenway
6th ball to Alex Loudon : length ball driven to short extra cover - 0 run

Settled into a nice rhythm right away. 1-0-1-0...
My next 4 overs went for 18 runs without much incident and Noel Mullin joined me, bowling from the other end. He had Loudon dropped by Lumb at short leg on 23 - 78/3, then Loudon and East combined to hit me for 3 fours in the next over and 13 total runs. Suddenly my figures were a lot worse at 6-0-32-0 and my first spell effectively over, replaced by Vic Nixon in the 25th over - 95/3.

Nixon's first 2 overs were dispatched for 19 runs and Noel Mullin conceded 10 in his 6th to be hit out of the attack - 6-0-27-0. Davies entered from his end and Vaughan from the other. In Davies' second over I rushed in from short fine leg to celebrate as he had Adam East caught by Oram for 54. Next Vaughan had Loudon caught at slip for 54 - 148/5.

Hutchinson (9-1-30-5) returned and wrapped up the tail with Davies (8.5-1-44-3) - 195 all out.

Leicestershire 195 all out (43 overs)
(Paul Hutchinson 9-1-30-5, Michael Davies 8.5-1-44-3, Jacob Oram 7-2-17-1, Michael Vaughan 5-0-21-1, Gary Eldershaw 6-0-32-0)

Mullin (1) perished early and before long, it was 32/2 with Oram out for 27 in the 11th over. Michael Lumb and Vic Craven recovered in workmanlike fashion and when the latter was out for 26, then the former for 35, the required run rate read over 7.5.

Vaughan and Nixon set about to bring it down and Vaughan was out LBW in the 40th over, the score 154/5 and the required rate at 8.4. The lusty hitter Derek Kenway came to the crease and he and Nixon took 7 off the next over - 35 needed off 24. 8 came from offspinner Mount's 8th over - 27 off 18 - and 8 more off Tahir's 8th - 19 off 12. Kenway drove Mount straight for a boundary and the equation was ultimately reduced to 10 needed from the last over.

44.1 Tahir to Alan Nixon - flashed at and caught behind!
Nixon has to go for a well played 54 from 51 balls. Tough ask now for the new man Vic Nixon. 10 runs are needed from 5 balls and he's new to the crease. Here comes Tahir...
44.2 Tahir to Vic Nixon - driven through the covers and he'll only get 1 run
Well-fielded out on the boundary by Ormond - 9 off 4.
44.3 Tahir to Derek Kenway - flicked fine and brilliantly fielded at short fine leg!
That kept it to just one run when the requirement was a boundary for sure. Pressure on Nixon now!
44.4 Tahir to Vic Nixon - driven down the ground and they look for 2, but only get 1!
Now 8 runs needed from 2 balls and Derek Kenway on strike. Drama around the ground...
44.5 Tahir to Derek Kenway - yorker and just kept out!
Surely that's the game now. Kenway has to hit a six off a noball to keep it alive.
44.6 Tahir to Derek Kenway - short and pulled away for 4!
Not enough and Leicestershire seal a dramatic victory, defending just 195. That's just Yorkshire's second loss of the season in any competition!

Yorkshire 193/6 (45 overs)
(Alan Nixon 54 [51], Michael Lumb 35 [68])

Leicestershire won by 2 runs

Standings
Chapionship: 1st (21 points ahead of Durham; 1 more game played)
NCL: 2nd (Tied with Warwicks, Lancs, Leics; 2 more games than Lancs, 1 more than Warwick and Leics; 0.1 NRR behind Warwicks)
Trophy: Round 3 v T.B.D.
Super Cup: Semi-final v Lancashire

Undefeated in all competitions but the NCL (4-2-0).

Mr. P

Not a great game for Gary. He'd be lucky to get called up for the next match...