• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the Ashes 2021/22

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Word is Patto has retired
Yeah, cricinfo carrying the news now.

I was genuinely surprised he was already 31 though. I know age makes idiots of us all in the end, but in my mind he was still a promising youngster.

Real shame his body betrayed him.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
What's the view back in Australia around Pucovski? Is there a genuine push to put his safety first and that - as much talent as he has - ten concussions by age 23 is simply too dangerous for him to keep playing, or are people just of the opinion that "he knows best" and letting him get on with it? I don't know how serious each of these concussions have been nor am I a medical professional but it seems extraordinary to me that he is even allowed to play at the moment with such a focus as there (rightly) is on concussions and head injuries.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What's the view back in Australia around Pucovski? Is there a genuine push to put his safety first and that - as much talent as he has - ten concussions by age 23 is simply too dangerous for him to keep playing, or are people just of the opinion that "he knows best" and letting him get on with it? I don't know how serious each of these concussions have been nor am I a medical professional but it seems extraordinary to me that he is even allowed to play at the moment with such a focus as there (rightly) is on concussions and head injuries.
We're all wondering as well. Ultimately it's between him and the doctors and it honestly might be good for him to take two years away from the sport but it really is a very serious problem where there's no good answers.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He should seek medical advice and then make his own risk assessments based on that advice and his own goals. Whether it's too dangerous for him is IMO a matter for him and not CA.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a matter for CA though from a legal liability POV if the risks of him playing and getting badly injured compromise their bottom line.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Are the concussions mainly from batting and is there a technical issue against the short ball? I've not seen him bat much.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Brisbane - Broad, Robinson, Wood
Adelaide - Anderson, Robinson, Overton,
Melbourne - Anderson, Broad, Wood
Sydney - Anderson, Robinson, Overton
Perth - Broad, Robinson, Wood
Never Overton in Australia in a Test match, surely!? (Over the other three, don't want to be disrespectful to one of the best pace bowlers in England, atm).

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah most are from AFL as a youngster or freak accidents
Understood. It is an interesting ethical discussion around, if cricket is central to his life, then is it really conducive to his wellbeing if they end up banning him from playing.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sounds as if he CBF to spend a month or two in quarantine on the off chance he'll be promoted to the main party given "working on my batting" maybe isn't the most convincing reason to miss a trip where his presence is literally predicated on that very activity.

grecian

Never Overton in Australia in a Test match, surely!? (Over the other three, don't want to be disrespectful to one of the best pace bowlers in England, atm).
He wasn't awful last time, compared to the rest, (apart from Jimmeh) and he has gained pace. He's in the squad and there will be injuries, will probably play at one point I guess.

FBU

International Debutant
Maybe they will use the same bowlers for every Test. Mark Wood has said he thinks he can play 5, which would be a miracle but he could be used in 4 over bursts.
Anderson Robinson, Broad Wood
I am sure Australia will play the same bowlers - Hazelwood, Cummins, Starc and Lyon. Since Pattinson retired I think the next in line is Jhye Richardson.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe they will use the same bowlers for every Test. Mark Wood has said he thinks he can play 5, which would be a miracle but he could be used in 4 over bursts.
Anderson Robinson, Broad Wood
I am sure Australia will play the same bowlers - Hazelwood, Cummins, Starc and Lyon. Since Pattinson retired I think the next in line is Jhye Richardson.
Time to bring back Steve Finn and Peter Siddle.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I feel like stokes is gonna be REAL painful this tour. Lad's always been a freak against us in the ashes home and away, and he's gonna be at his best for this tour with alot to prove.

Starfighter

Could see it coming. Should make the series significantly more competitive. No idea how we'll go considering the drastic underperformance Langer inspires and no-one having played tests for a year, unlike England.