• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2011 ODI World Cup

pasag

RTDAS
One year out, who is going to win?

Aus in good form now, but who knows what'll happen in the subcon?

Do people think the IPL will hurt India in that many players will see India as a second home by then?

Will the Saffies choke again?

Personally can't wait.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
India will win without a doubt.

Whichever team makes the finals against us, will have their asses handed to them (just like South Africa yesterday). Simple as that, nothing more to it.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
McCullum
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Elliott
Oram
Vettori
Mills
Tuffey
McKay/Southee/possible batting option
Bond

Possibly our best shot ever of taking out the world cup. Clearly going to lose in the semis to the runner up.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
McCullum
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Elliott
Oram
Vettori
Mills
Tuffey
McKay/Southee/possible batting option
Bond

Possibly our best shot ever of taking out the world cup. Clearly going to lose in the semis to the runner up.
"And for New Zealand, well good luck, what a ****house looking line up"

gwo

U19 Debutant

Whichever team makes the finals against us, will have their asses handed to them (just like South Africa yesterday). Simple as that, nothing more to it.
Because ODI cricket is the same as test match cricket and is why we can use ODI records to compare test only players, like James Hopes with Don Bradman.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hard to go past Australia tbh. I really thought this summer they would decline, but they seemed to have gotten stronger.

The WC final will be Ponting's last ODI.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, good way to make a re-entrance.

Anyway all I can say is I hope we get some decent cricket matches. Some decent suspense-filled matches is as good as impossible with the format chosen, which means basically most of the games are irrelevant, but with some close contests that'll be less of a problem than if most matches are one-sided like in the previous two WCs.

Craig

World Traveller
Australia has hardly been tested in this summer's ODIs. Both Pakistan and the West Indies have been beyond dire that Australia is hardly breaking out a sweat at a moment. Mind you TBf to the West Indies, they have had a ****load of injuries. Pakistan? Maybe if they could play as a team for once and learn the basics, then you know what they can do.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Australia has hardly been tested in this summer's ODIs. Both Pakistan and the West Indies have been beyond dire that Australia is hardly breaking out a sweat at a moment. Mind you TBf to the West Indies, they have had a ****load of injuries. Pakistan? Maybe if they could play as a team for once and learn the basics, then you know what they can do.
Doesn't matter. Australia were in formidable OD form last year as well

pasag

RTDAS
Being able to easily deal with lesser opponents is a good start in World Cups tbh....

Furball

Evil Scotsman
All depends if India can sort their bowling out.

Their ODI batting line up is by far the best around. It says a lot for the strength of your top 6 when the weak link is Gautam Gambhir.

However, as we saw at Rajkot, no matter how much the top order scores, the opposition is always in with a chance.

If India can get even a halfway decent bowling attack, then on home soil I'd expect their batting to blow the competition away. Would be gun if Tendulkar could bow out of ODIs with a World Cup victory on home soil as well.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
There will be huge pressure on India to win. I have a gut feeling they will win, will be last ODI of Sachin in Mumbai.

pasag

RTDAS
Problem is, if you're too batting heavy and the lineup has a bad day, or one collapse, you could be goneskis as you don't have the bowlers to bail you out. As opposed to a 5 match series where you only need your batting lineup to fire 3 out of 5 times.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Problem is, if you're too batting heavy and the lineup has a bad day, or one collapse, you could be goneskis as you don't have the bowlers to bail you out. As opposed to a 5 match series where you only need your batting lineup to fire 3 out of 5 times.
Hence why I stressed the importance of India's bowling attack.

Their batting is by far the best there is in ODIs at the minute. If ODIs were about batting strength alone, there would be no contest.

Dissector

International Debutant
I have a bad feeling it's going to be Australia yet again. Probably the best ODI side right now and they will have the only players to have ever won a World Cup. Needless to say I would love nothing more than India to win with Sachin scoring a hundred in the final at Wankhede but there are too many weaknesses in our bowling which aren't likely to be patched up by the World Cup.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Hard to go past Australia tbh. I really thought this summer they would decline, but they seemed to have gotten stronger.

The WC final will be Ponting's last ODI.
It could be ,and most probably(If India get there) will be Tendulkar's last ODI too.

How about that for a final?