• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to IPL 2009.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Looks like added pressure will be placed on Munaf Patel, Siddharth Trivedi, Yusuf Pathan, Ravindra Jadeja and Dimi Mascharanas with the ball.
I keep forgetting about Dimi. He's a gun signing, for sure. And Jadeja didn't really bowl last year, but he seems to have come on a lot. Also, Morne Morkel could be interesting.

Also, I expect now with five (I think) slots to fill, Rajasthan can make a couple of signings in the auction.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
It'll be interesting if the Royals decide to throw the kitchen sink at Pietersen.
Please no. I like that they don't have anyone being paid ridiculously.

Mind you, could be some interesting times in the dressing rooms. Pietersen alledgedly doesn't talk to Warne any more, has obvious history with Smith, and has that infamous sledging incident with Watson.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Please no. I like that they don't have anyone being paid ridiculously.

Mind you, could be some interesting times in the dressing rooms. Pietersen alledgedly doesn't talk to Warne any more, has obvious history with Smith, and has that infamous sledging incident with Watson.
Can't say I wasn't in a mischievous mood :happy:

But really, they're only allowed 4 overseas players in a game, might as well go for quality over quantity.

EDIT: From Pietersen's pov, I'd say he's most suited to the Mumbai Indians. The owners of MI are almost the polar opposites of Mallya (RCB). They share a similar philosophy with the Royals - the game belongs to the players.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't say I wasn't in a mischievous mood :happy:

But really, they're only allowed 4 overseas players in a game, might as well go for quality over quantity.
Yeah, but in that case I reckon they should throw everything at someone else. KP has three 50s in 28 T20 matches (14 of which are internationals, with one 50).

I reckon 4 overseas players means you should shell out on all-rounders. Watson proved that last season, Royals effectively played with five overseas players.

pup11

International Coach
Rajasthan basically have to rebuild their whole bowling attack now compared to last year.

Tanvir - gone
Watson - who knows what kind of form/fitness he'll have
Warne - has spent the intervening time eating pies
Watto is gun so don't worry about him much, if he is fit to play, then he would do well;

Warnie has lived all his life on pies with minimal or no exercise, he once said that his ides of a balance diet is to have "a cheeseburger in each hand", but even with a philosophy like that when it comes down to performing on-field, he rarely fails.

Royals though would have to thrown some money around and acquire a few good Indian/foreign players, even before the tournament starts, tipping JL to do very well for the Royals, he is probably one of the smartest buy's for Royals last season, criminally underrated limited overs cricketer imo.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah, but in that case I reckon they should throw everything at someone else. KP has three 50s in 28 T20 matches (14 of which are internationals, with one 50).

I reckon 4 overseas players means you should shell out on all-rounders. Watson proved that last season, Royals effectively played with five overseas players.
I think Royals should shell money on likes of Noffke, Quiney, Reardon, Carseldine, Harwood or other good but lesser know blokes from other countries, and go for one of the heavyweights that are up for auction, either a Tait, Flintoff or Clarke.

I have a feeling though the Royals would go for Clarke, KP is all but signed by Bangalore, and Freddie too would go to richer club, but Warnie and Clarke are such good friends, and Clarke would share a very good working relation with Warnie, it would also help Clarke in terms of his own leadership, to watch and learn from a astute leader like Warnie.

pup11

International Coach
Watson will likely be fit to bat but won't be fit to bowl in the IPL.
Yeah he is good enough as batsman too, if i am not wrong did pretty well playing for Queensland solely as a batsman in last year's KFC Big Bash, was also awarded as the Australia best T20 player or something like that..

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Royals should shell money on likes of Noffke, Quiney, Reardon, Carseldine, Harwood or other good but lesser know blokes from other countries, and go for one of the heavyweights that are up for auction, either a Tait, Flintoff or Clarke.

I have a feeling though the Royals would go for Clarke, KP is all but signed by Bangalore, and Freddie too would go to richer club, but Warnie and Clarke are such good friends, and Clarke would share a very good working relation with Warnie, it would also help Clarke in terms of his own leadership, to watch and learn from a astute leader like Warnie.
I guess the thing against Clarke is that they went last season for players that would be available most of the season, in the hope of least disrupting the team, whereas Clarke will only have a couple of weeks.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I hope he will be fit enough to send down 4 overs, 2 each spell in the IPL, or the injury that horrible?
He said 4-6 months off bowling at the time. Whether it's 4 months or 6 months basically makes all the difference as far as the IPL is concerned. Although he also said he hoped to be bowling during the IPL at some point.

I don't think it can be the nicest injury, I don't know many players who've come back from a fifth set of back stress fractures at 28. That said, he does seem fairly stubborn as far as coming back from injury is concerned.

pup11

International Coach
I guess the thing against Clarke is that they went last season for players that would be available most of the season, in the hope of least disrupting the team, whereas Clarke will only have a couple of weeks.
Yeah that's only if they play Pakistan during that period, and that series is last thing but conformed at this stage.

FBU

International Debutant
The IPL auction list in full
Australia

1 Aaron Bird - reserve price $45,000
2 Brett Geeves 45,000
3 Bryce McGain 50,000
4 Daniel Harris 50,000
5 Dominic Thornley 50,000
6 George Bailey 50,000
7 Jonathan Moss 50,000
8 Michael Clarke 1,000,000
9 Michael Dighton 85,000
10 Michael Hill 50,000
11 Phil Jacques 100,000
12 Shane Harwood 75,000
13 Shaun Tait 250,000
14 Steven Smith 75,000
15 Stuart Clark 250,000

Bangladesh

16 Mashrafe Bin Mortaza 50,000
17 Mohammad Ashraful 75,000
18 Shakib Al Hasan 75,000
19 Tamim Iqbal 50,000

England

20 Andrew Flintoff 950,000
21 Kevin Pietersen 1,350,000
22 Luke Wright 150,000
23 Owais Shah 150,000
24 Paul Collingwood 250,000
25 Ravi Bopara 150,000
26 Samit Patel 100,000

New Zealand

27 James Franklin 50,000
28 Jesse Ryder 100,000
29 Kyle Mills 150,000

South Africa

30 Gulam Bodi 100,000
31 J P Duminy 300,000
32 Morne Van Wyk 100,000
33 Tyron Henderson 100,000
34 Yusuf Abdullah 25,000

Sri Lanka

35 Chamara Kapugadera 150,000
36 Kaushalya Weereratne 50,000
37 Nuwan Kulasekera 100,000
38 Thilan Thushara 100,000

West Indies

39 Dwayne Smith TBC
40 Fidel Edwards 150,000
41 Jerome Taylor TBC
42 Kemar Roach 50,000
43 Kieron Pollard 60,000

Precambrian

Banned
The IPL has released the final list of 43 players who will be up for auction in Goa on February 6 with Kevin Pietersen commanding the highest base price at $1.35 million. Michael Clarke and Andrew Flintoff are second and third with base prices of $1 million and $950,000 respectively.

The new list has only 43 players - the original had 111 - and includes 15 from Australia, four from Bangladesh, seven from England, three from New Zealand, five from South Africa, four from Sri Lanka, and five from West Indies.

South Africa's JP Duminy has a base price of $300,000, the highest for South Africa, while Kyle Mills' $150,000 is the best for New Zealand. Each franchise has a maximum of US$2m to spend on their overseas signings in the auction.

Cricinfo - Pietersen's base price confirmed at $1.35 million